NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so since my boost controller will need to get replaced I started looking at other boost controllers and wanted to know what's the best solution.
And since all the electronic ones are damn expensive I want to make sure I get the right one this time.

The apexi avcr is currently my front runner partially because it supposedly plugs into the PFC and once I do my conversion that's what I'd use, but looking at the manaul it also looks a bit like overkill

Has anyone installed one and how do they like it. And same question about the Greddy one.

What else is out there? At this point I want something that can help avoid boost spikes and I now heard from several people that the Turbo XS (the one I'm using) is not too hot.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Hey bro... I'm using trhe GReddy Profec B Spec-II and it works great. No boost spike and great boost responce. It take a little bit of tuning but once you've got it, its awesome. I can easily switch from low boost to high boost at a press of a button.

Richard

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Hey bro... I'm using trhe GReddy Profec B Spec-II and it works great. No boost spike and great boost responce. It take a little bit of tuning but once you've got it, its awesome. I can easily switch from low boost to high boost at a press of a button.

Richard

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I used the Apex-i AVCR when I had my car and it worked really well. I like the fact how boost duty memorizes the cycle you prefer. You can also set how much boost each gear(Other controllers do this also) and at certain RPM's. Its kind of confusing but I would get the AVC-R.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I'm using the Profec e-01. Really good electrical boost controller with lots of additional functions that works with the Greddy Emanage.

What i've understand is that the Apexi PFC is pretty complicated. Of course, the AVC-R would probally fit best with it, but not sure if it's overkill and if you would need all those settings.

Good luck on picking your boost controller!

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Get a good boost controller. I have Blitz SBC-iD if you get the Powermeter in conjunction to this you can better control boost by setting psi to each RPM.
example: at track with high boost you can tune down your boost at low rpm and gradually go full boost, this can solve some traction issues people have with front wheel drive cars.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Darkside said:
whats wrong with the one u have? dont you have the TurboXS dual-stage?
Yes he does.

It won't maintain constant pressure, it spikes and then trails off and the coarse adjustment screw is seized in its threads.

·
Registered
128 Posts
sbc-id here, and happy with it-

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Boosted2.0 said:
Yes he does.

It won't maintain constant pressure, it spikes and then trails off and the coarse adjustment screw is seized in its threads.
so its just a problem w/ his? im getting that same one put in my car

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
u cant go wrong with old style greddy profec b.. cheap, affordable, and does the job.. great reviews and almost the pic as far as overall value and functionality for an EBC.. check SCC reviews and personal reviews..

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Darkside
so its just a problem w/ his? im getting that same one put in my car
correct, but since I have to buy a new one I want to get an electronic one to have more control over constant boost.

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
Bad news Thomas...the PFC dosent control the AVC-R they are seperate brains...and yes the PFC can control the same solenoid that the AVC-R comes with, it dosent work on the Celicas because it was never a turbo car to begin with....You can still get the AVC-R (i recommend) and just use it to control boost, and use the PFC for all your mapping

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Originally posted by EuGeNiLe GTS
u cant go wrong with old style greddy profec b.. cheap, affordable, and does the job.. great reviews and almost the pic as far as overall value and functionality for an EBC.. check SCC reviews and personal reviews..

Hey Thomas, I gotta agree with Eugenile on this one. I love my Spec II but the original is better I think. Simplicity at its best. I tried looking for one before I bought my Spec II but couldn't find out. I'm sure there are still some floating around out there. I really didn't try very hard. My Spec II just kinda fell on my lap.

Richard

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Originally posted by Smaay
Bad news Thomas...the PFC dosent control the AVC-R they are seperate brains...and yes the PFC can control the same solenoid that the AVC-R comes with, it dosent work on the Celicas because it was never a turbo car to begin with....

What sucks more is on the datalogit board I hear people who do get PowerFC with the boost controller (made for their vehicle) they had bunch of problem with it(not just 1 person either). Not sure if it got resolved, since he have not posted much I am guessing that it got fixed.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for all the info.

I'm probably still going to go with the avcr, I'm starting to get very interested in some of it's features, but since I have to wait till after the 15th (paycheck) I have some more time for research.

I also checked around on the TurboXS controller if other people have similar problems and yes indeed several people have the same exsessive boost spike problems I'm having. That's too bad I love the simplicity of the product....oh well, $260 bucks out the window....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts