NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of a problem with boring does the "nicasil-like coating" (and what is the proper name for the actual coating on our cylinders?) on the bore pose? I knew it was coated, but if we bore and take off the coating, will this increase friction and load in the cylinder?

Also with new sleeves, can we get bored sleeves, then get it recoated with the same sort of nicasil material? I know there are companies that do nicasil recoats out there, but how are they in terms of quality?

------------------
Unity

00 Spectra Blue GT-S

Speed Secret #12 - Smooth Is Fast

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Well, I'm definately not an expert on this one but here goes.

Nikasil is hard and smooth. It is chemically depisited on the cylinder walls. It is likely a coating only a few angstroms thick (think on the atom level here).

Any sort of boring will wear it right off.

I don't know the construction of the cylinder sleeves, but if thy were aluminum, then you are out of luck. A piston ring would chew right through aluminum.

If you resleeved teh block they would be hard steel sleeves, no need for the nikasil, and no need for boring if you get the sleeve done in the right size.

Just my guesses.

Scott

G

·
rado's engine is supposed to have DART sleeves...maybe you wanna find out if it's possible to get those yourself for higher boost turbo applications. i'd imagine that they'd be hella expensive. and i don't think trd's including them in their set of engine internals.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As always thanks for the info autoxr.

t2000gts, if you can give me the website and contact info, I'll be sure to give them and email and see what they can do for us.

------------------
Unity

00 Spectra Blue GT-S

Speed Secret #12 - Smooth Is Fast

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.