NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have listened and listened to that one website with the BOV sounds. It doesn't really help me - I need personal recommendations.

Ok, so what I am looking for is a BOV that is not excessively loud, but more importantly, has a nice uniform sound to it (i.e. "psssshhhhhhh").

Speaking from whatever brand came with the SF turbo kit, I do not like it at all. It has a "chattery" sound (i.e. "chhh, chhh, ccchhhsssshhhh" is the best way to describe it) and it's a little loud.

Any personal suggestions about what I should look into? Price makes no difference. I have sponsorships to take care of that.

Thanks so much,
aerospike

Boosted, I expect some type of answer from you :D

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
I really like the Apexi Twin Chamber that came on the XS kit...i liked it so much that i bought one for my SF kit...

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
HKS!!! Shut the hell up Bing;)

·
Registered
573 Posts
I had an HKS replica ready to be installed. But Gas gave me his old one from some Subaro and ... I love that sound! Sounds like you described your wish. ;) So I kept it and gave Gas my replica HKS.

The SSQV from HKS has a very individual (great) sound, too. But it's more highfrequent.

·
Registered
709 Posts
hmm, I wonder what Gas did with the HKS-TYPE (!!) BOV....
Maybe some poor guy is driving around with it now thinking it's the real thing...

:gap:

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Originally posted by soceur
HKS!!! Shut the hell up Bing;)
Originally posted by Immo
hmm, I wonder what Gas did with the HKS-TYPE (!!) BOV....
Maybe some poor guy is driving around with it now thinking it's the real thing...

:gap:
Bhuahaha, nuff said.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
no matter u *******s, i have a real one on order...lol!!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
lol, just playing.

Aerospike, I have the HKS SSQV BOV and it really sounds nice. It depends on how much boost you're running on the frequency. If I floor it, it will have a high pitched noise coming from BOV.
If i'm just cruising and just let go throttle then it will give a very nice psssss noise.

You can also adjust the BOV valve to open it, so the noise will be less high then at closed valve with same pressure.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
aerospike2002 said:
I have listened and listened to that one website with the BOV sounds. It doesn't really help me - I need personal recommendations.

Ok, so what I am looking for is a BOV that is not excessively loud, but more importantly, has a nice uniform sound to it (i.e. "psssshhhhhhh").

Speaking from whatever brand came with the SF turbo kit, I do not like it at all. It has a "chattery" sound (i.e. "chhh, chhh, ccchhhsssshhhh" is the best way to describe it) and it's a little loud.

Any personal suggestions about what I should look into? Price makes no difference. I have sponsorships to take care of that.

Thanks so much,
aerospike

Boosted, I expect some type of answer from you :D
The HKS SSQV is a great valve - I reccomend just taking the front housing off - it changes to a deeper sound. The greddy valve also has a decent sound to it.

The reason I like the HKS valves though is that they don't leak under high boost.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
HKS SSQV > All

·
Registered
709 Posts
I am getting the HKS SSQV too, found a nice hose adapter on ebay for it so I can simply connect it to my ic-piping w/o welding

·
Registered
126 Posts
From the looks of it, you don't really want a loud bov but you want it to sound nice. HKS is pretty damn loud from my experiences and its kinda high pitched which makes the sound travel. If you looking into a nice deeper sounding bov thats not too loud, look into the Blitz dual chamber. The sound doesnt travel that far and only the vehicle next to you will be able to hear it but its very noticable inside the car.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I personally like the GReddy Type S, it has a really nice sound to it.

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
aerospike2002 said:
That's compressor surge you're hearing. The valve isn't venting pressure fast enough.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Originally posted by Jesse IL
That's compressor surge you're hearing. The valve isn't venting pressure fast enough.
how would you correct that problem?

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
hks ssqv is played out and everybody has it.. but it does have an attracting sound.. the build quality is good and can hold lots of boost with its push/pull design.. no surprise why a lot of people have it.. it has that sound peopel who first get into turbo are attracted to.. and its ear piercing for pedestrians..

the greddy type is has a bit calmer sound.. easier to recirculate withou the cost of purchaisng another piece ala hks ssqv.. can also withstand a lot of boost.. it is still audible.. even more so compared to the hks ssqv when recirculated..

apex twin chamber.. just sounds like a gush of air.. plain.. and hear a lot of stories about it leaking.. but i guess thats not a problem if u run lower than 20psi :)

turboxs series.. esp rfl.. just a big gush of air.. i think it makes ur car sound like those trucks with the air brakes

if u dont have to recirculate.. tial.. lots of good stories.. and sounds fairly good.. not as attention grabbing like the hks or greddy type s.. but not as boring as the apexi and the turboxs.. built quality is said to be top notch and can hold a lot of boost..

i forgot about blitz but its said to be pretty good also.. not too much experience with it personally..

i like that saying i see/hear every now and then.. if you can hear your bov with no to little load or at low rpm.. ur turbo is too small.. lol

after a while the bov sound becomesn othing special.. now a sound of a big turbo spooling and gases exiting through an external wastegate or o2dump is something else..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts