NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13,310 Posts
Everythingcelica.com...

Do not drive over 55 mph (we know it's tempting, but try to hold back).Run the engine at a moderate speed -- between 2,000 and 4,000 rpm. Avoid full throttle starts (no drag racing). Try to avoid hard stops during the first 200 miles. Do not drive slowly with the transmission in high gear. Do not drive for a long time at a single speed (not too fast, not too slow). Do not tow a trailer for the first 500 miles.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
WillyWonka said:
Everythingcelica.com...

Do not drive over 55 mph (we know it's tempting, but try to hold back).Run the engine at a moderate speed -- between 2,000 and 4,000 rpm. Avoid full throttle starts (no drag racing). Try to avoid hard stops during the first 200 miles. Do not drive slowly with the transmission in high gear. Do not drive for a long time at a single speed (not too fast, not too slow). Do not tow a trailer for the first 500 miles.
i was just about to go grab that. :)

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Not to be the naysayer here, but break in's on a lot of cars are not needed now a days. Cars that really need to adhere to it are hand built, high end, or rebuilt motors.

I have 36k miles on my GT-S. I had a CAI on day two of owning the car. Never once followed the break in rule. I have one of the fastest and highest hp GT-S's on the board.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Ok, a "break in" period is not needed as much as in the past with the advent of computer controled machine tools, etc brcause tolerances are much more tightly controled.

However, parts still have to "wear in" together as always.
It has been shown that parts generally wear in together better if the speed is varried. during break in.

My feeling is, just don`t get too wild (certainly don`t redline it!) and vary the speed a bit (don`t use cruise controL) for about the first 1k miles. Just use a bit of common sense. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
break in period....crap!

ummmm...what happens if you don't do it? I can't really do anything about it now, but i'm just wondering if I did anything bad by pushing the engine really hard when i first got my celi

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.