Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Broken Lift bolt TSB
This guide is meant to help an individual through the TSB(TSB (#EG010-03) ). This is not meant as a substitution to the TSB just a helping guide. I will have pictures or a description of what to do. If you follow the TSB and this guide you will have no problem completing the TSB. To get started here are the tools you will need.

Tools:
Lift bolts
Car Jack
Jack Stands
Rags
Wrenches
Flash Light(optional)
Time

Before you start make sure that your rocker shaft has rotated. If you cannot see the bolt it has rotated or if it looks like mine does. It is offset in the hole.

Step 1 is pretty much self-explanatory.
Step 2: This is where it may get a little confusing for people who do not know much about celicas. The first thing to do before step two is to remove the plastic from under the car on the passenger

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
^^^ just use two wrench... stick the first wrench on the drive belt bolt then connect the other wrench to the other end of the first wrench so you can get a grip pull towards the front of the car....

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
you dont have to take off the accessory belt....what you do need to do is unbolt the (2) 10mm nuts on the timing chain tensioner. pull it out and rotate it so you can see the detent to reset it. then use 2 screwdrivers to reset. one ot hold detent, other to push in the tensioner. once you got it reset, leave it pushed back, dont put it back in untill the end of the job.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
so smaay, are you saying that removing the belt tensioner and the belt itself isn't necessary at all? i thought removing that was needed to clear enough room to get to the timing chain tensioner itself...
R

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
The TSB was written to be done with the engine in the car - I gaurantee it ;)

You just need to loosen the mounts and jack the engine up a tad to remove the tensioner.

When I do the TSB style I don't even do that. I have a REALY long skinny small flat head screw driver I use to keep the teeth on the lock tab on the tensioner pushed away and then I put the tensioner back in with a big screw driver. Once the piston is all the way in I just swing the hook over the pole on the tensioner and I'm good to go.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
failed again, that damn chain tensioner is a bitch to get to... i contacted jamasco motorsports in hollywood (the guys who built the GT4 converted 7th gen), i'm dropping off the car monday morning, i met up with them earlier today and they said they could do it... i'm done messing with this thing...
R

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
did you try popping the power steering pump loose? That can sometimes give you the room you need.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Boosted2.0 said:
did you try popping the power steering pump loose? That can sometimes give you the room you need.
well, no, i didn't, but i was able to remove the 2 timing chain tensioner 10mm nuts without much trouble. the problem was, trying to pull out the tensioner from the timing cover housing; there was not enough room to pull the tensioner back without hitting the belt tensioner assembly...
i know you said that you don't remove either one of the tensioners and instead, you use 2 screwdrivers to work some magic... i could not see how i could do that in there, the space between the chain and timing cover is so tight...
R

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BadTOYO said:
well, no, i didn't, but i was able to remove the 2 timing chain tensioner 10mm nuts without much trouble. the problem was, trying to pull out the tensioner from the timing cover housing; there was not enough room to pull the tensioner back without hitting the belt tensioner assembly...
i know you said that you don't remove either one of the tensioners and instead, you use 2 screwdrivers to work some magic... i could not see how i could do that in there, the space between the chain and timing cover is so tight...
R
Just started back up on the car today and I had the same problem. Boosted said something about compressing the chain tensioner inside the car. But I looked and couldn't figure out how you could do that. I got the belt off but I can't get the damn bolt for the belt tensioner off. I frikin cut my fingure pretty bad today. I am going to work on it again tomarrow see what I can do.

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
like i mentioned leave the belt tensioner alone...undo the 2 nuts for the chain tensioner, pull it back and then rotate it so you can see the ridges and detent. push the tensioner back in so you have more room. then put 1 nut back on to hold the tensioner in place...

then use one screwdriver to push in the detent, use the other to push the tensioner back in...then rotate the catch...now its reset....remove the nut on the back and push the tensioner back out....leave it alone!!!!!

now reset the cams and timing...when all that is assembled correctly...finally push the tensioner back in and secure it....

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Smaay said:
like i mentioned leave the belt tensioner alone...undo the 2 nuts for the chain tensioner, pull it back and then rotate it so you can see the ridges and detent. push the tensioner back in so you have more room. then put 1 nut back on to hold the tensioner in place...

then use one screwdriver to push in the detent, use the other to push the tensioner back in...then rotate the catch...now its reset....remove the nut on the back and push the tensioner back out....leave it alone!!!!!

now reset the cams and timing...when all that is assembled correctly...finally push the tensioner back in and secure it....
I think I understand. I am going to try that when I get home from school. It is just hard to see the chain tensioner clearly because it is on the back of the engine, but I will see what happens.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got the drive belt tensioner bolt off. I jaked up the engine and stuck a socket on there. Other than that it is almost impossible to get that thing off it is really tight on there. I took the chain tensioner out and compressed it then put it back in so that I could put the belt tensioner back on and unjake my car. I live in condos so I can't have the car on jackstands I have to take it down everyday when I am done. Well I have to work tomarrow. But thurday I am going to continue.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As a Weapon said:
Don't forget to take a lot of pictures.
I will try. It is hard to take pics when I start working. Idon't want to stop to take a picture. LOL. Iwill take as many as I can.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright everyone I have reach the part where I have to use a punch and a hammer to knock the rocker shaft out the only thing is the rocker shaft doesn't seem to want to budge. I tried hitting it over and overrr but nothing. I wanted to see if anyone had suggestions for me I am just afraid of damaging something.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
well, i read someone's post which came up during a search, that sometimes, if the bolt breaks and a piece of it is still sticking out above the edge of the rocker shaft, when the shaft rotates, it scores the aluminum housing which surrounds it (read: the head!), and that makes it impossible to slide the shaft out of the head... this resulted in his particular case, in his car needing the head to be pulled off and some other work i can't recall anymore...

i was aware of this when i tried doing mine, so that was just another reason why i decided to let someone else do it...

btw, did i tell you that i got my car back tuesday afternoon? it's fixed and from what the mechanic told me, my rocker shaft slid right out without much trouble. he replaced it with the new one i bought, since i attempted to drill out the bolt unsuccessfully a while back... i'm back in full lift, $600 later mind you... this guy also mentioned that he was hoping my rocker shaft hadn't scored the housing, because he said he had seen some cases where the rocker shaft was jammed in the head...

i'll try to post some bad pics of the rocker shaft and old bolts later tonight...

R

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If this is the case with my car I am going to shoot myself. LOL My dad will tell me to put it back together and sell it if this is the case. I hope not though.

Here is a pic of the broken lift bolt.

And here is the broken half in the head!! I already tried drilling it out but see how it is rotated.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.