NewCelica.org Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
MOTHER ****ER<<<< I GOT THE BROKEN LIFT BOLTZ>>>>, I totally decemated my #4 rod bearing and totally ****ed up my crankshaft... so i bought a new shortblock... im taking the head off my old motor to bolt onto a the new one and i notice that the lift bolt is broken.. im a little pissed at this point and read the how to... Then when i get to knocking out the rocker it doesn't budge.. i tapped the other one to make sure i was doing it right and it slid right out!. I read a little more of the thread and relized that the bolt is half and half.. Is there a specific place that can take that out for me?

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,637 Posts
I'm no expert w/this. Toyota replaced my head when this happened to them while trying to extract mine. However, I think Smaay said you can just keep hammering it out (the gouge it will create shouldn't be service affecting). You could also try hammering it back & try to extract the tip (probably harder to do now). A machine shop would be the place to go that would take it out for you.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
MOTHER ****ER<<<< I GOT THE BROKEN LIFT BOLTZ>>>>, I totally decemated my #4 rod bearing and totally ****ed up my crankshaft... so i bought a new shortblock... im taking the head off my old motor to bolt onto a the new one and i notice that the lift bolt is broken.. im a little pissed at this point and read the how to... Then when i get to knocking out the rocker it doesn't budge.. i tapped the other one to make sure i was doing it right and it slid right out!. I read a little more of the thread and relized that the bolt is half and half.. Is there a specific place that can take that out for me?
When I was hammering mine out I got to a point where I would just keep hammering and it wouldnt move. All I kept doing was hammering. Eventually the top of the bolt broke off and the rocker shaft started to move again. If you havnt been about to hammer the rocker shaft out at all see you might be able to extract the bolts. If you saw that your rockershaft was rotated and the bolt does not line up with the hole then just keep hammering. If you have anymore ?s just let me know.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
If you still have not figured it out you can keep knocking the rockershaft out and back in until it is in the right position. I had to turn mine a little to the right then punch it back in inorder to get it to around the position it should be.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Good thread Philly. I thought I'd make a small contribution. In case anybody is wondering how the 3rd generation liftbolts are doing, here's mine after 15K miles.

Intake:

Exhaust:

·
15,637 Posts
I just did mine @ 30K and they are holding up much better than the 2nd gen. If I get a chance, I'll post pics. Looks like you might be able to go 45-60K w/the 3rd gen.

·
Registered
329 Posts

I just changed mine on August 2008. I don't know which gen is that.
My intake bolt broke and no problem with the exhaust side.
My car is grey import from Japan.
How long will this bolt holds up? Need to change again in the future?

·
15,637 Posts
Left one looks like 3rd Gen. It kind of depends on the engine... probably 75,000-100,000 km for you (if I did the conversion correctly).

·
Registered
400 Posts
So can I use just this guide or do I need to perform all the steps in he TSB as well? I am nervous about doing this as I really have nobody to help me :(

·
Registered
400 Posts
I am following this guide now that I got the bolt drilled enough to hopefully slide out the rocker shaft. I think I may try not to mess with the belt tensioner since mine is such a bia and I don't have anything to put between the jack and oil pan if I jack the engine up. Any tips on doing it this way? ;)

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,107 Posts
My timing looks identical to how the picture in post#1 looks at TDC...something tells me I should try to make them closer by a few degree's because the #1 cam lobes don't look symmetrical...they're a few degree's off.

Hand cranking the engine, everything seems ok, with pressure building, then letting off at TDC.

Ok to start the engine, right?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Were you able to get the paint marks to line up turning it by hand?

I don't know how many turns that might take. Maybe an air ratchet with the spark plugs removed would work.

At least count the number of links between the sprocket marks to make sure they are the same.
\dB

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,107 Posts
I managed to get 7 links between two links that sit on the sprockets, so I guess that was fine.

Looking at the picture you posted above, my intake dot is a teeny bit lower ie just under the exhaust tooth that it links up with.

·
Registered
277 Posts
OK, so i finally got brave enough to finally replace my lift bolts. The exhaust is worn, bu the intake on is broken and the rocker shaft has somewhat turned so I wasn't able to extract the lift bolt. So I'm trying to follow this guide and the TSB as well. But I am stuck. I cant get the belt tensioner off. I knew this wasn't gonna be easy but dam, already I'm stuck on a part where I didn't think was going to give me any problems. I have the whole weekend to do the job so I hope I can do it. Wish me luck...

·
Registered
277 Posts
I don't have a punch and hammer, what else can I use besides this to get the rocker shaft out (I still haven't gotten to this step, but wanna be ready when I do, If I ever get to this part).

·
Registered
277 Posts
phillycheese917, great guide you got on how to do this repair. Only thing is that I got stuck on removing the belt tensioner. I followed your steps on jacking the engine up some to get to the belt tensioner bolt, but I was never able to get the 2 bolts under the engine mount off. After trying for almost an hour, I gave up, put everything back together and just left it like that. The exhaust side wasn't broken, so I just replaced it with the new 3rd gen bolt. The intake side lift bolt is still broken in the rocker shaft (it rotated some) kinda the same exact way in the pictures you have in your guide.

I never go past 5k RPM on the tach (I got an Automatic, but I drive it using the sprot shift/manual mode), and I don't have LIFT, but whats the worst case scenario of what can happen by leaving the broken bolt in there? Side note, I put about 6k miles per year on my GTS, so Its really not driven like an average car, 12k-15k miles a year.

I tried to replace it but it became a pain, but at least I tried.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
^^ I dont believe that any major issues would be caused by riding around with a broken lift bolt for an extended period of time, but usually nobody finds out because they change them. Also, are you talking about the part where you are loosening the engine mount so that you can jack up the engine? Did you try using a breaker bar to help you loosen which ever bolts you needed to?

81 - 100 of 104 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.