NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking to upgrade my brakes this year, im pretty content with stock braking but my car has 120,000 miles on possibly stock rotors so i think this is a good time to replace and upgrade where needed.
i dont want to go with a big brake kit since i have stock wheels and really dont think it would be necessary with the performance mods i have.
i was thinking of going with drilled and slotted rotors both for looks and performance but after reading i see that people experience cracking with drilled rotors after agressive or track use.
has anyone experienced any of these issues with a certain brand?
i was at first leaning towards rotor brake rotors but since they are drilled through im somewhat reluctant.
i read up on EBC brake rotors which are dimpled rather than drilled. EBC claims this keeps the rotors integrity. they also claim that drilling is not at all neccesary on a vented rotor.
is this true?

my plan as of now is
brake rotors front and rear (leaning towards ebc atm)
pads front and rear (oem toyota pads or hawk)
and stainless break lines front and rear (techna fit)

i was thinking of sticking to oem pads since my car will be daily driven more than anything.

anybody have experience with any of these companys or others?
experience any issues with similar setups and upgrades?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I don't see how a dimpled rotor can evacuate gas. If you're worried about structural integrity then a slotted rotor should be more effective. I can't say I've heard of anyone having a problem with brake fade on a celica so I don't think you need anything more than a vented solid rotor.

Don't forget to change your fluid. I do it more frequently than replacing the pad. I recommend Valvoline because of the higher boiling point and it's readily available at the local auto parts store.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't see how a dimpled rotor can evacuate gas. If you're worried about structural integrity then a slotted rotor should be more effective. I can't say I've heard of anyone having a problem with brake fade on a celica so I don't think you need anything more than a vented solid rotor.

Don't forget to change your fluid. I do it more frequently than replacing the pad. I recommend Valvoline because of the higher boiling point and it's readily available at the local auto parts store.
this is from the EBC product description.
Description
The EBC "GD" series is signified by a "three spot" drilling pattern and a wide aperture full width slot. The full width slot expels dirt, rust, dust, grit, water and any other contaminants that may get between the pad and the disc surface. One important feature is to note that our wide aperture slots also can contain significant volumes of surface gases which are created during heavy braking and prevent the pad from "aquaplaning" on these gases, allowing the pad to contact the disc better and improve brake performance.

The three blind holes drilled in EBC's "GD" series are to further break down gas film in between the slots but are not "through drilled" for one very special reason. 99% of all brake rotors designed and made in the world are what we call straight vaned. This means that the ventilation slots go directly from the outer edge of the rotor, towards the centre point of the disc. There is absolutely NO BENEFIT in through drilling brake rotors which do not have the vane system designed in a "scoop" fashion (which draws air through the centre core of the disc). In fact the drilling of holes through straight vaned discs can, if the holes coincide with the positioning of the vane, weaken a disc and cause catastrophic damage.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
if your not going to be racing the car, just get the OE parts. you don't need slotted rotors for DD and if you get pads that are the wrong type, you won't be able to stop well until they are heated up a bit. the OE brakes are an overkill as it is. if your autocrossing or road racing, that's when you can step it up, but overall.. it's not that necessary.

When I last did my brakes, I went with the Powerslot rotors w/ the anti-rust treatment and the Hawk HPS pads. Once the pads broke in onto the rotors it was a nice setup. They felt a bit slippery until then, but they just needed some TLC.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I also have the same wish to buy some nice rotors for the car even though I am only a daily driver. I also heard that some drilled/slotted rotors will get crack over time so I didn't dare to get a set yet. But if I'm not using it to race and brake on them like crazy, they wouldn't crack would they?

Really looking forward to see more input on this thread...
please keep it going =)

thanks H8eternal for making this thread...

·
Registered
976 Posts
Ive had drilled and slotted rotors for the past 4 years and not a single problem. I only use it for daily driving so as long as your not beating the snott out of your brakes you'll be ok.

Dave

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've been running drilled and slotted rotors for the past 2 years and haven't had any issues.
My problem is the sheer amount of brake dust my front pads create. I can't remember what brand the pads are, otherwise I would tell you to steer away from them. I've given up on trying to keep my rims clean since I really don't like scrubbing them twice a week.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been running drilled and slotted rotors for the past 2 years and haven't had any issues.
My problem is the sheer amount of brake dust my front pads create. I can't remember what brand the pads are, otherwise I would tell you to steer away from them. I've given up on trying to keep my rims clean since I really don't like scrubbing them twice a week.
do you do any competitive driving?

If you can get over the design, then I recommend these ATE rotors:

Plus, I'm using stock Toyota pads with SS brake lines.
how is the pedal feel with this setup?
how much more responsive than stock?

http://www.zeckhausen.com/how_to_properly_install_rotors.htm

That's what they mean. I learned this myself just a few days ago.

So one subtle thing to look for when purchasing rotors is if they have seperate left/right fitments. That would likely indicated scooped vanes.
thats kinda why im leaning towards the ebc at the moment.
do you know any other companies that have there rotors made like this?

·
Registered
418 Posts
how is the pedal feel with this setup?
how much more responsive than stock?
It is very solid and a lot firmer compared to stock. It's definitely more responsive and has helped stop the car in less distance overall. I am very happy with the combo and so is my wife. She noticed the difference right away compared to stock. It would be better to visually show you as it's difficult to explain. Hopefully, I did a good job explaining.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
the ebcs are around 180 for fronts 160 for rears
sold in pairs
are the ebay rotors a set of four or two?
I went to the EBC website and in the shopping cart the front set were 150, rear were 125.

The set I saw on eBay there were for all 4 rotors and slightly cheaper by 20 bucks

·
Registered
224 Posts
do you do any competitive driving?
Officially, no. But there are some good twisty roads that I drive like a bat out of hell on on a regular basis. Maybe I don't push them to the point where cracking is an issue.
When I start doing autocross I'm going to switch to slotted.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.