NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[First of all, I have a Celica 03 - Manual]

Hi I just wanna know if that kind of smell is normal if happens ocasionally.

I mean, there are some times where to pass a light I put the car on second gear at 4.500rpms by flooring the gas.

Then, a burned smell comes into the car for a couple of seconds.

Is that normal?

Also, the other day when I was racing an automatic truck, I had to shift gears when reaching 6.000rpms to avoid falling behind.

How much stress does that put onto this kind of stock engine? I know it is not crossing the red line jet, but I would like to know if I could be screwing the car up by doing that once a day for example (from 1st to 5th?

Thank you

Kat.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CID said:
Clutch dragging=bad.
Didnt get that. You mean that Im using the cluch incorrecly? (I dont get the drag part) or that it is breaking.

CID said:
1st to 5th gear will kill the engine rpms also bad.
No, on the second part I meant going through all the shifts, shifting when I get to 6.500rpms. Not jumping from 1st to 5th

Kat

·
Registered
564 Posts
KAT_Ayanami said:

I mean, there are some times where to pass a light I put the car on second gear at 4.500rpms by flooring the gas.

If I understand you correctly you are bringing the rpm's up to 4500 and starting out in second gear from a stop. You are dragging the clutch to get the car to move. Expect to replace the clutch soon

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CID said:
If I understand you correctly you are bringing the rpm's up to 4500 and starting out in second gear from a stop. You are dragging the clutch to get the car to move. Expect to replace the clutch soon

By dragging the cluch you mean letting it pushed for a while while speeding up to avoid stalling??
I dont do that, but what damage could it do?
Kat

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
KAT_Ayanami said:

Hi I just wanna know if that kind of smell is normal if happens ocasionally.

Then, a burned smell comes into the car for a couple of seconds.

Is that normal?

Also, the other day when I was racing an automatic truck, I had to shift gears when reaching 6.000rpms to avoid falling behind.

How much stress does that put onto this kind of stock engine? I know it is not crossing the red line jet, but I would like to know if I could be screwing the car up by doing that once a day for example (from 1st to 5th?

Thank you

Kat.
As far as the motor goes, KAT, as long as your oil has warmed up (your temp gauge) to normal operating temperature, you can redline each gear (to an extent) without damaging the motor. something like 95% of engine damage happens before the motor has warmed up

1 - 6 of 6 Posts