NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. New to the board, and I have some questions about the Celica.

I am buying a used one (00 or 01), and I am curious if I should get a GT or a GT-S. Obviously the GTS is the higher model, but I have heard that the GT is easier to modify in some ways.

I would really like to have the 6-speed tranny on the GTS, but not at the expense of not being able to put a reliable turbo on the car.

I know that the GT has about 40 less horsepower then the GTS, with stock parts, but that can be easily compensated for with a turbo kit, correct?

Also, do the TRD parts like the short throw shifter and the exhaust (this is the important one for me) fit the GT, or only the GTS?

Thanks guys :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Kerion said:
Hi everyone. New to the board, and I have some questions about the Celica.

I am buying a used one (00 or 01), and I am curious if I should get a GT or a GT-S. Obviously the GTS is the higher model, but I have heard that the GT is easier to modify in some ways.

I would really like to have the 6-speed tranny on the GTS, but not at the expense of not being able to put a reliable turbo on the car.

I know that the GT has about 40 less horsepower then the GTS, with stock parts, but that can be easily compensated for with a turbo kit, correct?

Also, do the TRD parts like the short throw shifter and the exhaust (this is the important one for me) fit the GT, or only the GTS?

Thanks guys :)
Hey welcome to the board!

As far as modification abiliity both the GT and the GT-S are equally modible, but they both have a problem with finding aftermarket parts. Probably the GT-S has a slight lead as I see more products for GT-S than GTs but it's no big lead at all.

Yes you could compensate for the lack of horse power by adding a turbo kit, but theres always the problem of having the car work reliably.

And TRD makes the short shifter for the GT-S only, but they make a TRD Exhaust for both.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I have found that the mods are pretty much equal between the two cars. Also yes it will be easier to turbo a GT but there still seems to be no set kit u can buy. It has to be custom. Also do u really need a trd short shifter? Cuz there are other short shifters for the GT such as B&M or TWM. It is up to u, whether u want more power right now with a GT-S or can wait for a turbo and be faster than a GT-S later down the line. Im not sayin a turbo GT-S is out of the question though, the XS turbo for the GT-S showed some nice numbers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suppose I don't NEED a TRD short shifter, as you are correct, I can get one from other companies...but it just seems more convieniant to run down to a Toyota dealer and order all the parts I need, and have them install the ones that I am a little too iffy to install (such as the exhaust).

There is a really nice, low mileage, 00 GTS for sale in my area that I am going to go look at it and take for a spin tommorrow. I think the asking price is a bit high, as compared to blue book value...but if I can talk the person down a bit, I may just be driving home in a new GTS tommorrow :)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
go for a GT-S, trust me, you'll be much happier in the long run with it. I can't even count how many people i know with a GT that regret getting it over a GT-S, cause there's only so much you can do with it. plus...how could you not want lift? lol. :chuckles:

BTW, If you're not going to get TRD, a B&M short shifter is muuuuch smoother than a TWM. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I am looking at a 00 GT-S at Carmax, with everything that I want, even the right color (black)...but they are asking 15,998 for it. This seems a bit high to me, the blue book is thousands less then that.

I am going to try and talk them down to around 14,500...if I can, I will buy it more then likely. It has 36K miles on it, which doesn't seem that bad.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Kerion said:
Well, I am looking at a 00 GT-S at Carmax, with everything that I want, even the right color (black)...but they are asking 15,998 for it. This seems a bit high to me, the blue book is thousands less then that.

I am going to try and talk them down to around 14,500...if I can, I will buy it more then likely. It has 36K miles on it, which doesn't seem that bad.
I got my car w the same amount of miles for 15 grand out the door...so don't go any higher than that.

·
Registered
128 Posts
i'm happy with my car, but make sure which ever model you get its a manual. If you want na power go with gts, if you want raw turbo power go with gt, because with the money you save, it can go towards the turbo kit. If you want power that makes your eyes pop out, go with gts, build the engine, and through a stage 3 turbo, which should give you around 350-400 whp, but that = $$$$$$$$$$$$$, so best choice for turbo power, financial, & reliabilty go with GT!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.