NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to look at a 2000 celica Gt today with about 44k miles. Its an auto. What should I look out for? Advice would be appreciated!

I made this list so far, what else should I check or am I missing?

check vin numbers on doors, bumpers, fenders, hood.
check windows for oem toyota glass
check a/c and heater. check for compressor noise.
check revving engine for pings and knocks.
check for fluid coming out of exhaust
check cv boots/axles
check key in driver side, passenger side, trunk, ignition, etc

engine
look for leaks underneath on oil pan
check for oil in coolant
check oil level and oil color
check transmission fluid level and color
check coolant level
check power steering level
check brake fluid level

additional information. carfax says the title is clean. I am just worried that they swapped out the gauge cluster with a lower mileage gauge cluster. Is that possible?

·
Oh Hai
4,252 Posts
hmm a 2000 with 44k is a little hard to believe. carfax and also some 00-02 gt have oil consumption problems, i'm not sure if you are able to check that though, but look closely to the engine bay and see if theres any oil leaking

·
Banned
9,353 Posts
Not too hard to believe its got low miles. My 00 GTS has about 56K, and i drive a lot.

GT's are known for their oil consumption. Also make sure you have a compression test done.

·
Registered
122 Posts
GT's are known for their oil consumption. Also make sure you have a compression test done.
realy i have a 02 gt, n i dont have a oil consumption problem.

Are there vin numbers on the trunk, front and rear bumpers?
vin number is always at the drivers side winsheild ath the vary bottom, you have to look from the outside. youll see a rectangular depression where the number is written. and oull need light to see it.

·
Premium Member
18,039 Posts
GT's are known for their oil consumption.
2000 through early 2002 GT models experienced this. Not every, mind you, but models between these years.

This could be the reason why it's at 40k. :shrugs: Owner experienced oil burning/starvation and couldn't fix it, so he/she decided to get rid of it.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I'm a new 00 celica GT auto owner. i bought the car after checking and test driving it. My girlfriend had a 01 corolla(new up to 80k) and 07 corolla(new up to 20k) and no problems from these 1zz-fe engines. I did oil changes on them reguarly and these engines are fine.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
gonna love it if it doesn't "drink" oil.
i also have a civic i'm going to sell because I bought the Celica. I hope engine maintenance for the celica is as easy as the civic.

·
Trust me, I'm Asian.
8,552 Posts
Wow you're so much more thorough as to checking out used cars than I am.

No one in my family knew how to check out cars so I had to do it myself and I did a really poor job now that I can look back and reflect on it :chuckles: But lucky me everything turned out okay.

Check out the SoCal subforum now!

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
Ok I'm a new 00 celica GT auto owner. i bought the car after checking and test driving it. My girlfriend had a 01 corolla(new up to 80k) and 07 corolla(new up to 20k) and no problems from these 1zz-fe engines. I did oil changes on them reguarly and these engines are fine.
price?

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you do all that i think you should be fine... But make note of anything you find to be bad or needs replace and try to knock of a few bucks

·
Registered
842 Posts
44k Da Is Crazy.. U Should Check To See If It Has Original Gauges Cause Whn U Change Gauges It Drops The Miles Bak To 0!. Also Make Sure He/she Let U Drive It! Cause It May Look And Sound Good But Driving It Is A Whole Different Thing! Good Luk!

·
Registered
97 Posts
44k Da Is Crazy.. U Should Check To See If It Has Original Gauges Cause Whn U Change Gauges It Drops The Miles Bak To 0!. Also Make Sure He/she Let U Drive It! Cause It May Look And Sound Good But Driving It Is A Whole Different Thing! Good Luk!
shut up and type so we can understand

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
what the hell language is this in?

why the capitalization of every single word?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So odometer tampering is not possible, correct? When you switch instrument clusters, the mileage goes to zero?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.