NewCelica.org Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
bickley said:
Hey Griffin, do you think this would affect your gas mileage? And what about strain on the engine? Do you think the Celica would last more than a year? I'm really interested in these but I don't know if I wanna shell out that kinda money yet, especially if it'll shorten the lifespan of my Celi.
During day to day driving a lower gear ration actually degreases strain on your engine by giving you a greater mechanical advantage in normal acceleration. The only thing that will be different is how much time you spend in lift, which will vary based on how often you are REALLY driving it. Remember guys, you dont HAVE to take a car to redline every time if durability is what conserns you.

So yes, assuming you only push yourself when you are racing I do not think this will have a significant impact on your car.

As for gas mileage, it probbaly wont be affected much with the exception of high speed highway cruising.

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
Griffin said:

During day to day driving a lower gear ration actually degreases strain on your engine by giving you a greater mechanical advantage in normal acceleration. The only thing that will be different is how much time you spend in lift, which will vary based on how often you are REALLY driving it. Remember guys, you dont HAVE to take a car to redline every time if durability is what conserns you.

So yes, assuming you only push yourself when you are racing I do not think this will have a significant impact on your car.

As for gas mileage, it probbaly wont be affected much with the exception of high speed highway cruising.
it's like this, in 6th gear you're normally at 2500rpm for 55mph (or something like that) and that gives you the ~30mpg highway.

in 5th gear you're at 3200rpm at 55mph.

not bad, you're still getting 20+mpg easy.

but who cruises at 55mph? 70mph in normal tranny is 3200rpm, and in C-One it'd be 4000rpm...now you've got a noticeable difference. mileage would suffer more at a non-linear rate over 55mph.

i often cruise 75-80mph on long trips. forget it with the C-One, unless cruising 4000-5000rpm for hours at end is fine with you. bad gas mileage (would that even be over 20?) and more stress built up over the life of the motor.

so if you really really want it, it's doable. just don't take long trips or stay at 55-60mph on long highway trips and you can afford the drop in mileage.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
alright guys...im calling up IPN today. im picking up my C-ONE body kit

now...im going to ask them about a group buy on these trannies

heres the info...itsnot a whole transmission its just the gears so it sohuld fit ALL the celicas even the new ones.
these things are built for racing so im guessing they are strong as balls. in addition im guessing it also comes with syncros from the pictures ive seen i am pretty sure i saw new syncros on there.

install on this will be pricey from toyota...talk to a trusted mechanic...i expect labor to be about 7 bills. (so this is a good time to install an lsd and such

Are yall interested in a group buy?

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
t2000gts said:

it's like this, in 6th gear you're normally at 2500rpm for 55mph (or something like that) and that gives you the ~30mpg highway.

in 5th gear you're at 3200rpm at 55mph.

not bad, you're still getting 20+mpg easy.

but who cruises at 55mph? 70mph in normal tranny is 3200rpm, and in C-One it'd be 4000rpm...now you've got a noticeable difference. mileage would suffer more at a non-linear rate over 55mph.

i often cruise 75-80mph on long trips. forget it with the C-One, unless cruising 4000-5000rpm for hours at end is fine with you. bad gas mileage (would that even be over 20?) and more stress built up over the life of the motor.

so if you really really want it, it's doable. just don't take long trips or stay at 55-60mph on long highway trips and you can afford the drop in mileage.
You might be surprised at how little differnce that makes. Load isn't that hogh so you wont use that much more gas. I used to cruise at like 4500 RPM in my MR2 and still did well on the gas mileage.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I think 700 labor might be a little optimistig. Your talking a complete tear down and rebuild on the tranny here, most shops charge 70 / hr or more and thats way more than a 10 hour job. I doubt it will be under 1K. I also don't see any syncros in the picture. Despite these facts I still thinkits probably worth it.

·
Registered
929 Posts
AS an Asian, my point is that, we don't really have a huge high way like you guys, and we don't race like you guys neither.
For me this gear set is made to people who want their car to go faster in a small road with lots of turning, and that kind of road is what we like to race, not just a big flat road that you just need a top speed.
Sorry my english sucks...hope you understand what i am trying to say...

·
Registered
926 Posts
Okie Dokie....talked to IPNindustries and wow...that is one expensive set of gears. They quoted me 2790....they don't do installs and THEY said that you can't keep the stock 6th gear (hey I'm just telling ya what they told me). So, bottom line....I'd rather have a S/C or Turbo. After that, then maybe I'd consider it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
you can pretty much bolt on the gears im guessing

im telling you if yall drag race your car a lot youll need a rebuild at 30,000 miles

and your car will never ever shift correctly again if you let toyota install their rebuilt gears. my gear shift is permanently stuck leaning to the right...they dont know how to fix this...push straight up and you go into 5th gear.

id pay the cash just to keep toyota from killing your car like they did to mine.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Well yeah if that was the case. But I'm not drag racing enuff these days to really need them....well yes I need them but just not yet. I'll have to wait and see. Milin, maybe you should sell me your LSD hehehe

41 - 60 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.