Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Work Done, Sexy Time.
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Part 1 Breakdown

I am writing this in the hopes that the following information and work expands and clarifies some of the fine work previously posted by NewCelica member: BillyBrun. His example encouraged me to attempt this project after blowing a used c60 transmission acquired from another former member and current good friend GTS_Punk . Thanks also to mx522xtreme who took the time to answer my initial PM and gave valuable assistance throughout this undertaking having done this himself. I don’t know if I really need to say this but I’m not responsible for anything that you do to your transmission you use the information presented by me in this thread at your own risk. Before we go any further I strongly recommend that you start by heading over and reading in its entirety the thread started by BillyBrun it can be found here.

Ok now you that you are back understand that I am only going to list what I feel is new information as there is no reason to repeat what has already been stated correctly. All the transmission part numbers listed in BillyBrun’s thread are good and should be used if needed. I’ll start by listing the tools that you’ll need to successfully take apart and rebuild the C60 transmission properly and with a minimum amount of expense. I’ve looked at ordering the actual Toyota specialty tools from http://toyota.spx.com but they are extremely pricy. All of these tools as mentioned by Billy (he just didn’t list the part numbers) are available from your local Harbor Freight store or from www.harborfreight.com . Thanks again to mx522xtreme for the contined conversations and providing the last tool item numbers needed.

To make this as painless as possible I’m including plenty of pics and all the speciality tools that are necessary. You’ll also need Celica Repair Manual vol. 2 which is in the repair and maintenance section. If you can’t find it or any of the tools listed then just look at the nice pictures and don’t attempt this.
Here are the tools and the part numbers you will need:

1. Bolt Puller Set 46pc. 37824
2. Central Forge 14 piece gear puller set 30305
3. Bearing Separator and Puller Set 93980
4. Digital Caliper 47257 (you can pick a different one if you chose)
5. Dial Indicator 93295 (you can pick a different one if you chose)
6. Torque Air Wrench 68424 Strongly Suggest no less than 500lb torque (you can pick a different one if you chose)
7. Magnetic Base 5645 (for Dial Indicator, you can pick a different one if you chose)
8. Feeler Gauge 32214 (you can pick a different one if you chose)
9. Air Compressor 7-29 gallons recommended (went to GTS_Punk’s house and used his)
10. Shop Press 33497

The information found in the Celica Repair Manual vol.2 starts on page 412 so start from there. I also highly suggest that you freezer bag and label all your parts in clear steps. I personally put the page numbers on the bags with descriptions so I wouldn’t forget what was what. Also make sure you use the oil that comes with the puller kits otherwise you'll strip something like I did and have to exchange it.

Ok I was so excited that I got the 6th gear and bearing off with the 14 piece kit that I forgot to take pics of that process but here’s the rest just match them up with the repair manual.

Tools purchased from Harbor Freight. #3 Hub Sleeve, #3 6th Gear Syncro, #3 Gear Shift Fork, #3 Clutch Hub Assembly

#3 Hub Sleeve and #3 Gear Shift Fork lifted up for removal. Top pic of #3Clutch Hub Assembly and #3 Hub Sleeve (notice the teeth)

#3 Clutch Hub ready for removal #3 Clutch Hub after Air Torque Wrench was used to loosen it. #3 5th Gear Syncro underneath

No. 3 5th Gear Syncro ring and 5th gear from the input shaft. 5th Gear (Output Shaft) ready for removal.

5th Gear (Output Shaft) side pic. That string is there to keep the washers in order for reassembly.

Finally I can see what is wrong and what happened to Billy happened to me. The differential gear and the output shaft drive just disintegrated, look at the gear teeth. :thumbdown

Detail pics of both the imput and output shafts for detail and reassembly.

More detail pics of both the input and output shafts for detail and reassembly.

At least the magnet did it's job, look at all the debris. Input and Output shafts set aside.

Two more pics of the differential ring gear and output shaft damage, rebuild when all parts and improvements come in.

Part 1 Finale

Ok, now where was I? Oh yeah figuring out how to get these gears apart. So I discovered, much to my extensive annoyance that the gears require a good amount of height distance from the shop press apron (that’s what it’s called in the manual don’t ask me). The Harbor Freight shop press comes with two arbor plates but those aren’t nearly enough to provide the required amount of height to get the gears off the shafts. First thing I tried was bricks to raise the shafts up. The press had fun shattering them, then it was time to search for some more arbor plates but I couldn’t find any. Harbor Freight doesn’t sell them separately and no luck at all the nearby hardware stores.

I needed something extremely strong anyway so I came up with the idea to use a hollow steel beam. I talked to my good friend and fellow car enthusiast Cyrille who knew of a local metal wholesaler. I bought a hollow square beam with ¼ inch thick walls about 48 inches high. He came up with the great idea to cut it as it sits now. I was just going to cut it into equal sections. This took care of main problem number one.

Main problem number 2 was finding bolts that would widen the gear puller enough to accommodate some of the gears on the shafts. Some need the extra width some don’t. Cyrille once again came through with a great suggestion; carriage bolts found easily at Lowe’s, Home Depot and most other hardware stores. When stuck with a problem bounce ideas off of someone else knowledgeable. I went with 10inch length bolts with ¼ inch nuts, a slightly shorter length would probably work as well. One important note the round end of the bolts needed to be grinded down to ensure a flat surface when taking apart the gears. Pics a little bigger and also adjusted for better detail.

Steel beam cut into press tools stacked for original height.

Steel beam cut into sections

Toyota c60 output shaft ready for disassembly

Toyota c60 output shaft disassembly. Top view detail.

Gear puller with sanded down 10in length carriage bolts for extra width.

Toyota c60 output shaft 3rd driven gear and 2nd gear removal. 10in Carriage bolts used.

Toyota c60 output shaft 3rd driven gear and 2nd gear loose.

Toyota c60 output shaft with upside down gear pulley positioned properly for gear removal.

Toyota c60 output shaft 3rd driven gear removal.

Toyota c60 output shaft 2nd gear removal.

Toyota c60 output shaft #2 syncro removal.

Toyota c60 output shaft #2 syncro detail.

Toyota c60 output shaft needle roller bearing and spacer (ring finger).

Toyota c60 output shaft snap ring and #1 clutch hub and key springs.

Toyota c60 output shaft shattered driven gear (bottom). Toyota c60 input shaft assembled (top).

Toyota c60 input shaft #2 hub assembly, 3rd gear and #2 syncro ready for disassembly. (Side view)

Toyota c60 input shaft needle roller bearing (middle of shaft) close up (bearing supposed to be in two halves).

There you have it, new replacement and old useable parts going out for cryotreatment. Stay tuned for assembly thread (hopefully sticky).

·
Registered
119 Posts
I will definetely be following this thread. I've had my other c60 sitting in the corner torn down.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
What were the symptoms that drove you to do the rebuild?

·
Work Done, Sexy Time.
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What were the symptoms that drove you to do the rebuild?
3rd and 4th were shifting very rough I think that those issues and the associated syncros were at least part of the problem hence why they got updated in 03 by Toyota. :rolleyes:

^^^ thanks, and to the OP can you split the pictures up with each having a description. once thats done it will be sticky worthy.
Done good sir.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hey quick question ; I am swapping out my 3rd gear 4th gear and synchros and the sleeve. I noticed that before I swapped the gears and synchros and sleeve they the sleeve would stop once it passes the synchro and hits 3rd gear but after the swap the sleeve has the ability to just slid off with enough force put on it and I'm just wondering of this is normal

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey i also busted my c60 in my matrix xrs :p. have a feeling it is the final drive and output shaft , different symptoms though. i was wondering where all you guys find is the best spot to get parts for a rebuild on the c60? thanks

·
Work Done, Sexy Time.
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hey all those following my thread, this has turned out to be quite an undertaking but I haven't quit. Updates soon.

10-24-12. Good news for me and those still interested in this thread, got all the gears off the imput and output shafts. Pics and info updates later this week.

·
Work Done, Sexy Time.
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Finale update included in post #1. Stay tuned for reassembly thread. :drink: ;)

If anyone has any questions or needs any help I will of course answer to the best of my ability.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey there c60 fans!! I'm now resourcing this thread for my needs. Thank you for creating it. I did want to reiterate a question posed earlier that I didn't find a direct answer to: what resource did you use for your OEM and upgrade parts? Gears? Syncros? Bearings? TRD helical LSD?

Thanks again!
LVLFNXS

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.