NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on doing a GTS engine swap this winter, and i Know all the specs, I just found a place near my college who does Honda engine swaps. He told me i could have my engine shipped there and they will do the swap, However they have never done a toyota engine swap.

My question is, If i get every single piece i need for the swap including midpipe,ecu, wireing harness, passenger engine mount, tranny, and all that, How many hours would it take a mechanicly inclined group like these guys to do the swap?

They said i would have to pay by the hour because they haven't done it. And it would cost like 800-1000 probly.

I believe the swap is pretty much replace what you take out, and modify the mid pipe,

any of you engine swapping guys hit a snag any where else because im trying to estimate the time it will take them.

Oh their website is www.hybridynamics.com, they also do custom turbos, rare to find around my area in Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
SleeprGT said:
I plan on doing a GTS engine swap this winter, and i Know all the specs, I just found a place near my college who does Honda engine swaps. He told me i could have my engine shipped there and they will do the swap, However they have never done a toyota engine swap.

My question is, If i get every single piece i need for the swap including midpipe,ecu, wireing harness, passenger engine mount, tranny, and all that, How many hours would it take a mechanicly inclined group like these guys to do the swap?

They said i would have to pay by the hour because they haven't done it. And it would cost like 800-1000 probly.

I believe the swap is pretty much replace what you take out, and modify the mid pipe,

any of you engine swapping guys hit a snag any where else because im trying to estimate the time it will take them.

Oh their website is www.hybridynamics.com, they also do custom turbos, rare to find around my area in Pennsylvania.
with no lift and power tools, we've had the entire engine out (gts) in less than 4 hours,

puttig it back in is a bit more laborous, and making sure stuff goes where it should be when you dont know where it goes when you took it off could be a headache.

Since its their first swap on a toyota, see if they'll give you a discounted price and get a quoted price, (and not by the hour) otherwise you will be paying for them to learn how.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
hmmm i took my abt like 3 days.....to make sure that everythin was ok.....the engine was out on the same day....swap the tranny, clutch n stuff like that was another day and then puttin everythin back in place n have it ready took abt another day.....ur gonna run on lil problems...the most trouble i have was the leak in the exhaust cuz the GTS manifold wouldnt fit the GT flange where the midpipe is....i did an auto to manuel swap too so i had to wait for reservior....minor problems with coolants, holes and stuff.....wat kind of swap ur doin?..auto GT to manuel GTS or just a GT to GTS?

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
swap

It is a GT 5 spd, to GTS 6 spd swap

i think i may be able to talk them down to 700 bucks i plan on getting a gts midpipe, to make the trouble easier,

I mean it can't be that hard can it?

I was also going to have them throw in my trd clutch, i wonder how much of a pain in the ass that will be for them.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Re: swap

SleeprGT said:
It is a GT 5 spd, to GTS 6 spd swap

i think i may be able to talk them down to 700 bucks i plan on getting a gts midpipe, to make the trouble easier,

I mean it can't be that hard can it?

I was also going to have them throw in my trd clutch, i wonder how much of a pain in the ass that will be for them.
listen to Illusive he's got it about bang on, the clutch wouldn't be much to do at that point, if they charge you under $100 to do the clutch do it, it'll be a lot more to do it later. The GT-S engine is suprisingly very self contained, the only questions I would have is how well do the power steering and a/c match up between the engines, if your keeping those options.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
swappin a manuel 5 spd to a manuel 6 spd GTS is not hard at all compare to auto to manuel swap.....just lil part u have to do afterwards that a lil difficult.....the power steering, a/c, heater and all that works fine.....never really use Cruise Control b4 but i heard i wouldnt work.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
ok....me and Lilrocketspyder did my swap (put 2nd gts motor in) this weekend in about 11hrs but we have done this before and that is with alot of breaks and joking around inbetween. If it is a 5spd gt to 6spd gts you can shave some time off that initial figure because your not gonna have to take the tranny off of the gt motor and put it on the gts motor. As for the midpipe you dont have to get a midpipe right then. You can just take your car to a muffler shop and have them weld on a new flange to fit. It shouldnt be that expensive. As for the Cruise control, power steering, and other accessories they work fine and i am using them on my car right now. swap should be able to be done in a day.
Rick

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
I don't sww why cruise wouldn't work if you get the cruise control actuator to throttle body cable off a cruise equipped GTS.

Anyways at this point with power tools I can have the engine and tranny out in probably 3 hours max. Its actually pretty easy, especially if you take out the radiator. Going back in I would say probably 7 hours by the time you finish messing with all the details and small annoyances and bleeding everything.

BTW - if you do this make sure and check the fuel pump part numbers - if the GTS has a different pump and/or regulator make sure and swap it in as well so you don't starve for fuel up top.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts