NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The purpose of this thread is to explain how to instal the CAMCON and tune it for maximum power.

What is the CAMCON?

The CAMCON is a piggyback unit made by Power Enterprise, a Japanese company.

As it says in the picture, it is a VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing-intelligent) controller. The VVT-i system on newer Toyota engine is used to adjust intake cam timing (both cams on new 2GR V6 engine) to extract additional power and efficiency from the engine. If you would like to read more about how the VVT-i system operates, here is a link to a Toyota technical document about it.

http://users.ameritech.net/trdcelica/VVT_Explanation.pdf

How does the CAMCON work?

The CAMCON works by intercepting the signal coming from the engine's camshaft position sensor. This sensor tells the ECU where the camshaft is, and the VVT-i system uses this camshaft position information to set the angle of the camshaft relative to piston motion (called the timing of the camshaft). The CAMCON offsets the signal, causing the ECU to think the camshaft is at an incorrect angle and forcing a correction. Because of this, there is only a certain range over which the CAMCON can adjust the camshaft position, due to the fault tolerance built into the ECU. IF you try to adjust the CAMCON beyond this range, you will go outside the fault tolerance of the ECU and cause a check engine light.

How do I install the CAMCON?

There are eight wires that need to be connected on the CAMCON. A link to Power Enterprise's installation PDF is here:

http://www.powerenterpriseusa.net/manuals/download.php?filename=USDMCAMCON.pdf

On the Celica GT-S, installation will be different for 2000-02 cars and 2003-05 cars. Installation for an automatic transmission car is exactly the same as for a manual transmission car. The ECU pinout for all Celica GT-S years, along with images of the connectors, can be found here:

http://users.ameritech.net/trdcelica/Celica_ECM_Pinout.xls

2000-02 installation, CAMCON wire color on left, vehicle connector, pin and wire color information on right:

Black - chassis ground
Red - Connector E2, Pin 16 (B-R)
Light Blue - Connector E4, Pin 24 (W)
Green - Connector E4, Pin 16 (O)
Orange - Connector E4, Pin 1 (Y-G) - side going to ECU
Brown - Connector E4, Pin 1 (Y-G) - side going to sensor
Purple - Connector E4, Pin 15 (L) - side going to ECU
Peach - Connector E4, Pin 15 (L) - side going to sensor

2003-05 installation, CAMCON wire color on left, vehicle connector, pin and wire color information on right:

Black - chassis ground
Red - Connector E9, Pin 1 (B-R)
Light Blue - Connector E10, Pin 34 (W)
Green - Connector E10, Pin 27 (O)
Orange - Connector E11, Pin 32 (Y-G) - side going to ECU
Brown - Connector E11, Pin 32 (Y-G) - side going to sensor
Purple - Connector E12, Pin 27 (L) - side going to ECU
Peach - Connector E12, Pin 27 (L) - side going to sensor

Can CAMCON change the lift engagement point?

No. The CAMCON can only advance or retard the cam relative to the factory setting.

How do I tune the CAMCON?

In order to extract maximum power from the CAMCON, you will need to have your car on a dyno or use the Gtech tuning method described in a different sticky. There is no good way to tune the CAMCON on the street.

The method for tuning the CAMCON is extremely similar to the method for tuning VVT-i on the Power FC. That method is described in this thread:

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=187685

You will want to do a number of different runs with the CAMCON set at different settings. For example, you would do your first run with all the settings at -5, the next with all the settings at -4, and so on. At the end, you would overlay all the dyno graphs and figure out which setting made the most power at a given rpm interval. You will then combine all these settings into your final tuned settings.

One thing that should be pointed out is that changes in CAMCON settings have the opposite effect that you might thing. Increasing the number retards the cam while decreasing the number advances the cam. This is the same convention as the Power FC.

The other thing that should be pointed out is that after three or so pulls on a stationary dyno, the engine will begin to heatsoak. On a car where no changes are made, you will see this as a drop in power with each successive run. Since we are concerned with small changes in power from run to run with the CAMCON, you will want to avoid this situation. A suggestion is that after every three pulls, allow the car to sit and cool down for a period of time. Unfortunately, this means possibly eating up expensive dyno time simply sitting idle. One possible solution would be to unhook the car from the dyno, drive it around to return it back to normal operating temperature, then go back and hook it back up. You would have to do this several times to get in enough runs to complete your tuning.

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This will give you all the necessary wiring info, as well as pinouts and product documentation. If someone would like to do a step-by-step writeup with pictures, I'm sure many people would appreciate it.

·
Registered
926 Posts
i will do a step by step install guide with pictures whenever i purchase mine and install it, trying to find a rather cheap one, so if anyone is selling it under 300, i'll buy

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some revisions made.

- Clarified that CAMCON cannot change lift engagement point
- Clarified +/- convention for CAMCON same as PFC
- Added link to PFC VVT-i tuning sticky
- It has also been pointed out to me that the order in which I listed the connectors in the pinout tables (numerically left to right) does not match their actual orientation on the ECM. I have changed the ECM pinout to make the columns in the table match the order of the connectors on the ECM.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts

This is from the online vol1 DI-74. My paper version for 2000 has C1 as the Camshaft Position sensor. It also has G2 at E4, Pin 15.

>>Light Blue - Connector E4, Pin 24 (W)
>>Green - Connector E4, Pin 16 (O)
>>Purple - Connector E4, Pin 15 (L) - side going to ECU
>>Peach - Connector E4, Pin 15 (L) - side going to sensor

This breaks and taps into a shielded circuit. Did anybody continue the shield back to the camcon? I know EMI can be an evil gremlin.
dB

·
12+ years daily driver
8,599 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What you should do is test it with a multimeter. With the key on, if you have +5v at E4-11, then that link has it backwards. From what myself and Boosted can tell, the MAFS signal will be on E4-1.

You can actually leave that connection off initially if you want (or completely). Those are used for adjusting the fuel, like an S-AFC. If I were doing the install, I'd not hook those up unless I could verify that they were only becoming active at WOT. If they're active all the time, you're going to run into the same problem as with the S-AFC, where the ECU will overwrite the changes.

·
12+ years daily driver
8,599 Posts
jesse,

I went with e4-11 for the MAF signal line after speaking with a few other 00-02 owners who have tuned theirs.

To clarify further on installation, the cam and a/f lines have to be cut on installation and one side has to go to sensor and one side to ecu.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Jesse IL said:
What you should do is test it with a multimeter. With the key on, if you have +5v at E4-11, then that link has it backwards. From what myself and Boosted can tell, the MAFS signal will be on E4-1.
The check voltage of VG(+) {E4-11} to body ground while idling is only 1.1-1.5VDC according to the 2000 DTC P0100 inspection procedure. Page DI-20 has the same expected 1.1 to 1.5VDC at VG-EVG (E4-11 - E4-1). This puts E4-1 at or near ground. The 2001 MR2 has a more direct test of its EVG (also E4-1) where it is supposed to be less than one ohm to ground.
dB

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I'm bolting my '00 GT-S back together after exhaust replacement with Boosted manifold, HF cat, and axleback as well as the TSB-based lift bolt replacement. I have a Camcon, AEM wideband and 160,000 miles on the odo.

I see no mention of AFR in this writeup. Are you condoning 10 runs from -.5 to +.5 overlyed as optimum tuning method or can some charting of AFR assist here?

Is there any other tool/logging that can assist here or SHOULD be used to assist here?

Thank you for your help! Your massive amounts of time invested in this site, Jesse, is appreciated! BTW, I'm just down in Peoria ...

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
thank you for this sticky
it makes everything easy and understandable

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Can the Camcon be used for an Auto GT? Only reason I ask is that I have a Camcon for sale and someone with an Auto GT is asking me about it.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
the question is yet to be answered about tuning the AF ratio along with the vvti such as with a greddy emanage ultimate. I know that they do this with the pfc but is it a necessary thing to see any real gain out of tuning the camcom or will simply tuning the camcom produce gains?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I didn't think the S-AFc worked on our cars because the cpu eventually overrides the SAFC signal....can someone confirm?

1 - 20 of 85 Posts