NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i was just wondering if the larger the number in advanced on the cam makes more overlap or less? so can someone tell me like 20

·
Registered
419 Posts
you are 20% retarded.. dont call me that, jerk

the way to figure that out is to figure out which way the cam spins, retarded is rotating the opposite direction of normal operation spin

anyway advanced will make it overlap more because that means that the intake valves will open sooner

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
VVT-i convention is counterintuitive. When the value goes up, there is less overlap; value goes down, more overlap.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Advanced = more overlap, retarded = less.

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Jesse IL said:
One thing that should be pointed out is that changes in CAMCON settings have the opposite effect that you might thing. Increasing the number retards the cam while decreasing the number advances the cam. This is the same convention as the Power FC.
Actually, just posting this so it's clear in my head... :p:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ooo thanks even tho jesse didnt help he helped in spirit!

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
milesplume said:
ooo thanks even tho jesse didnt help he helped in spirit!
I didn't even know that. Someone had to tell me that. I've never seen a CAMCON in my life. I simply summarize information.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
this is soo not helping because Jesse says it does the opposite and boosted says it does what it says...i can see that jesse might be right if the display number is the degree it is telling the computer where the cam is and then it corrects it to put it into the "right" degree...but then again maybe the dispaly show where the cam will go and already takes that into account.?? well boosted and Jesse who is right?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Why can they not both be right? They are not contradicting eachother. Advancing the intake cam opens it sooner adding overlap to to the fixed exhaust cam. Retarding the intake cam opens it later reducing or even eliminating the overlap with the exhaust cam.
CAMCON and PowerFC high numbers (they are not necessarily degrees) retard the intake cam and reduce the overlap with the exhaust. Low PFC or negative CAMCON numbers advance the intake cam, opening it sooner, increasing the overlap with the fixed exhaust cam.
Everybody is saying the same thing.
Are your experiments with the CAMCON not showing any changes? Or are the changes always for the bad with both positive and negative settings?
dB
I need to see one of these things for sale cheep so I can scope it.

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
milesplume said:
this is soo not helping because Jesse says it does the opposite and boosted says it does what it says...i can see that jesse might be right if the display number is the degree it is telling the computer where the cam is and then it corrects it to put it into the "right" degree...but then again maybe the dispaly show where the cam will go and already takes that into account.?? well boosted and Jesse who is right?
I would suggest not listening to me considering I've never actually seen a CAMCON and have not tried to adjust one.

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
deltaB said:
Why can they not both be right? They are not contradicting eachother. Advancing the intake cam opens it sooner adding overlap to to the fixed exhaust cam. Retarding the intake cam opens it later reducing or even eliminating the overlap with the exhaust cam.
CAMCON and PowerFC high numbers (they are not necessarily degrees) retard the intake cam and reduce the overlap with the exhaust. Low PFC or negative CAMCON numbers advance the intake cam, opening it sooner, increasing the overlap with the fixed exhaust cam.
Are your experiments with the CAMCON not showing any changes? Or are the changes always for the bad with both positive and negative settings?
dB
Yeah I don't know what Boosted is saying, but what deltaB is saying makes perfect sense to me.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
deltaB said:
dB
On the camcon those are actually degrees you have the range of +20 degrees (advancing the cam) or -20 degrees (retarding the cam)

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
I wasn't talking about the Camcon - I was just confirming that when you advance the cam it creates more overlap and that when you retard it it makes less overlap.

I have no idea what settings need to be changed in which way to accomplish that.

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
deltaB said:
dB
Here's a graph of my settings -- they added 6-7 whp and wtq for me throughout the whole rev range.

Unless I'm hopelessly confused (always a distinct possiblity), I have a little less overlap at low RPM, more overlap in the midrange, and considerably less overlap at high RPM.

That interpretation is both consistent with my understanding of the effect of VVTi adjustment and how one would expect more power to be found on a FI car.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Boosted2.0 said:
I wasn't talking about the Camcon - I was just confirming that when you advance the cam it creates more overlap and that when you retard it it makes less overlap.

I have no idea what settings need to be changed in which way to accomplish that.
Yes retarding the cam will give you less overlap and more will overlap them. It's a balance between creating a more efficient cumbustion and having all valves open and just pushing air straight through.

But.. I can't tell you how to tweak the camcon either
:hide:

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Well then it sounds like what I said in the first place was right. Positive numbers retard the cam, negative numbers advance the cam.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts