NewCelica.org Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well, good news is so long as you checked lash properly, that is not the cause of your problem. The one that is 0.35 - 0.40mm you might even want to tighten up a bit.

Hmmmmmm, how do you feel about piper cams?

Some people are sending their cams out for WPC and DLC treating.
Supposedly it helps the tranny gears.
Gotta try something I guess.

Watch this closely
http://youtu.be/cfGg15WgSEU

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hmmmmmm, how do you feel about piper cams?
I feel it is not very cheap. Last time I paid for a lot of parts and mods for celica like an another car for daily driving, turbokit, another engine for pars transmission and so and so..
I did a mistake when I give the head from engine for parts to my friend. But I thought Im so far from troubless since I have replaced the cam and rockers.

Actually I think piper cams could be a nice upgrade but for now I only want to get things working properly as many people have on stock or low boosted engines.

Some people are sending their cams out for WPC and DLC treating.
Im not sure if somebody doing it here. But it will not solve the root of problem. I think stock cam should survive more then 1000km :)
The engine was not boosted when the damage occurs.

So psychadelic :) but not sure if is possible to see something over 6000rpm

·
Registered
33 Posts
Oh shoot.

That cam has only 1000Km, sorry I thought I'd read a few thousand Km. There should be a parts warranty on that.
Unless there is no oil getting to the top I can't see anything causing that in 1000Km = 600 miles.

I think you should definitely attach a hose and force some sort of fluid through the valve cover. Make sure that it does actually spray.

Once you verify that it is getting oil, I'd make someone eat that cam.
Otherwise you need to find out where your oil is going Or where it's being plugged off at.

????? Was the cam wet when you pulled the valve cover??????????
Yea, it looks wet to me.

The right thing for them to do is exchange it and whatever rockers it took out.

The video is a high speed shutter camera, he is revving over 8K rpm,
and the playback is slowed. Did you notice how the stem sways side to side, and it bounces open after closing?

Sorry about your troubles man.

·
Registered
3 Posts
@dwebb, I think your guidance on setting the shim to rocker clearance to 0.013" is better especially for a newer cam. I recently experienced a wiped new stock intake cam only after 10k miles and 2 rocker arms broke in half. The wear is only on the high cam lobes and high cam rocker slippers and most likely wore down way before 10k miles. My intake valve clearances were...

Cylinder 1 valves .004"
Cylinder 2 valves .006"
Cylinder 3 valves .007" (broken rocker)
Cylinder 4 valves .005" (broken rocker)

The manual is confusing and possibly wrong because yes they say to make the clearances from .003" - .007", but at the same time they don't mention how the heck you get the clearance for the high cam lobe because of the slipper pad being underneath it. Only by word of mouth and forums do people explain to remove all shims from the low cam valves and then measure for the high cam lobes using the small lobe rocker roller and vice versa.

I'm going to set lash to .012" - .013" for the intake cam and see how it does after 100 miles.

Another thought that is circulating is being sold bad older versions of oem camshafts and rockers. I'm debating on upgrading to an aftermarket cam cuz it's a lot of money if the same issue occurs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
@dwebb, I think your guidance on setting the shim to rocker clearance to 0.013" is better especially for a newer cam. I recently experienced a wiped new stock intake cam only after 10k miles and 2 rocker arms broke in half. The wear is only on the high cam lobes and most likely wore down way before 10k miles. My intake valve clearances were...

Cylinder 1 valves .004"
Cylinder 2 valves .006"
Cylinder 3 valves .007" (broken rocker)
Cylinder 4 valves .005" (broken rocker)

The manually is confusing and possibly wrong because yes they say to make the clearances from .003" - .007", but at the same time they don't mention how the heck you get the clearance for the high cam lobe because of the slipper pad being underneath it. Only by word of mouth and forums do people explain to remove all shims from the low cam valves and then measure for the high cam lobes using the small lobe rocker roller and vice versa.

I'm going to set lash to .012" - .013" for the intake cam and see how it does after 100 miles.

Another thought that is circulating is being sold bad older versions of oem camshafts and rockers. I'm debating on upgrading to an aftermarket cam cuz it's a lot of money if the same issue occurs.
After the first cam wiped, I set my lash at 0.011-0.013" for the intake and ran for 35k miles no wear. I later switched to monkey wrench racing stage 3 and put another 80k miles, still without issue and I have dual oil coolers. I will be pulling the motor out to go through it in a few months probably but I dont expect to see cam wear.
Best of luck.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts