NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Guys, sorry for this newb question, but im new to swapping engines, and i am learning.
i have completed every thing, the engine runs well, and i love it,
but i am puzzled about the hose circled in red. where does it go to? ive checked and can find nothing. if i dont plug this pipe with a nut to block it, the engine stalls unless at wide open throttle. its just impossible to keep the engine running with this pipe open, so i blocked its suction with a nut. it seems fine now, but i know this connects somewhere and i know it serves a function. can any of you more experienced 2zz owners guide me a little? Ill appreciate the help very much!
thanks
If you guys need further info ill be happy to provide it

·
Registered
8,277 Posts
Ah that is a Corolla/Matrix 2ZZ-GE. That I think would connect to the evap purge solenoid which would be located on or near the airbox.

Please put something around the throttle cable to protect it from the exhaust heat, otherwise it can seize up.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah that is a Corolla/Matrix 2ZZ-GE. That I think would connect to the evap purge solenoid which would be located on or near the airbox.

Please put something around the throttle cable to protect it from the exhaust heat, otherwise it can seize up.
I dont think i have evap purge solenoid or an airbox, or maybe im reading you wrong. I only have a plastic tube with a maf sensor and an air filter, If im wrong, can you please circle in that picture or any picture of how it looks like or where it should be? thats gonna be of great help to me. this is the first 2zz im working on and i dont know much about this.

and about the throttle cable, Thank you so very much!! like really, Thank you for that i always thought exhaust heat would harm it but guys said no no its fine. I am going to do that right away!

·
Registered
8,277 Posts
You may not have any of those parts, if you don't then just keep it capped.

Heat won't damage it right away but some hard driving and over time the plastic sleeve inside may begin to melt and cause the cable to drag and bind so it doesn't release fast like it should. Some aluminum bent into a V and secured to the cable with metal strap or bare wire will work fine to deflect heat from it. There's probably other ways that will look better, I'm sure you can figure something out. Maybe some kind of fiberglass sleeving or reflective sleeving on it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You may not have any of those parts, if you don't then just keep it capped.

Heat won't damage it right away but some hard driving and over time the plastic sleeve inside may begin to melt and cause the cable to drag and bind so it doesn't release fast like it should. Some aluminum bent into a V and secured to the cable with metal strap or bare wire will work fine to deflect heat from it. There's probably other ways that will look better, I'm sure you can figure something out. Maybe some kind of fiberglass sleeving or reflective sleeving on it.
Ill try to run a longer cable and run it along the fire wall and put aluminum heat shielding on it, it will look tidy like that.

and about that pipe, would keeping it capped harm the engine in any way? or its just fine and i can leave it as is and wont do any damage at all

·
Registered
8,277 Posts
Should be fine to keep it capped, it's for emissions stuff but it doesn't sound like you have any of that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts