NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i usually install my own electrical stuff, but i dont wanna F**k with ignition wires unless i know what im doing

anyone know how to install? shop wanted $60 to install, i'll give ya $10 and a 12 pack of corona/heiny's

·
Registered
294 Posts
Dude I need figure out the same thing here
hopefully someone can post a diagram on how to do it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
same here, i'd like to kno too. does anyone have the actual pushbutton in their possession? how many wires does it have? and what do the directions say....

·
Registered
374 Posts
Did it on my Eclipse, was a bitch, wouldn't wanna do it again myself, VERY technical wiring. I'm experienced and I still had a hard time, I would suggest a professional install.

·
Registered
63 Posts
oscar, u kno how to install it?

btw, that barrel man is awesome, he's got the most improportional surprise ever hahha

·
Registered
687 Posts
maybe my shop can do it, I will ask tomorrow

·
Registered
687 Posts
sorry my shop doesnt know how to do that. best bet is to take it to an alarm installer because they deal actively with ignition wires and that sorta thing

·
Registered
63 Posts
i kno where the ignition wire is...it's the wire that you hook up the air/fuel guage and s-afc to right? tap 2 wires to that w/ the pushbutton in btwn and u'll have a parallel circuit so that either the key OR the button can start the car. isn't that the way to do it? and if it don't work, just remove the wire taps....shouldn't be too hard i think.....

·
Registered
374 Posts
I would really suggest not DIRECTLY hooking up the button to your ignition, you'll blow the **** outta the starter and the button.

Here's some info, first you need a 4 way automotive relay, the relay will have 4 pins (#30, #85, #86, #87).

Off the relay:
#30 pin -> starter wire (sends power to the starter, starts car)
#85 pin -> #4 slot on button
#86 pin -> Ground (good, clean, solid contact RECOMMENDED)
#87 pin -> constant power (even with car off)

Off the button:

#1 slot -> switched power (when key is turned on, this simply turns the light on in the button)
#2 slot -> Ground
#3 slot -> switched power (same as above)
#4 slot -> #85 pin on relay (sends power to the relay, which then sends power to the starter)

Little walkthrough here:

Switched ignition power is sent to Slot #1 and #3, #1 lights up the button, #3 activates the switch (if the key isn't in the ignition, the switch has no power, so it cannot start the car, very important, it must be wired this way and not to constant power as you don't wanna be able to start the car without the key). Slot #2 on the button is the ground for the light only. Slot #4 sends power to the relay pin #85. Now take 12 gauge wire or at least the gauge of the stock constant power wire and attach it to pin #87; take the same gauge wire and splice the starter wire (wire going TO the starter) and attach to pin #30. Pin #86 should be a good ground. All connections to stock wiring should be SPLICED, do not CUT anything.

Basically this is how the switch works:

Key goes in the ignition, turn the key, power is sent to Slot #1 and #3 on the button; slot #1 and #2 turn on the light; slot #3 activates the switch/turns the switch on. Without the key nothing happens.
Push the button, power is sent from slot #4 on the button to pin #85 activating/switching the relay; when this occurs, power is sent from pin #87 to pin #30 which is attached to the starter, cranking the starter; and your on. Pin #86 must have a good ground or you might not send enough juice, it might not turn over.

That's basically it, it can be done, but it's a pain in the ass. If you're not skilled with this kind of stuff I would not recommend taking on this task, you need some basic knowledge/experience AT LEAST. If you wanna do it, make SURE you disconnect the negative battery terminal first.

Good luck, maybe if someone wants to get all the wire color codes I can write a more indepth/specific writeup.

NOTE: I don't take any responsibility if you blow yourself or your car to pieces, this is exactly how I had it hooked up on my Eclipse, my buddies Eclipse and my buddies Integra, all have worked flawlessly for 3+ years to date. It's a basic setup and works the same way on all cars, except maybe those with computer chipped keys and crap. If you've got a remote starter I can't/don't wanna help, too complicated if I can't see it in person.

·
Registered
374 Posts
My 2 buddies I mentioned had theirs installed at Pacific Audio in Fullerton (Chapman and 57), they charged $120, 2 hours labor, but they guarantee the install for life. They do good work over there.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just so you know this install is BRAIN DEAD easy. I just did it in about a half hour without any wiring diagrams or instructions. If you have any questions just ask. -Brock

·
Registered
374 Posts
-=BrocK=- said:
Just so you know this install is BRAIN DEAD easy. I just did it in about a half hour without any wiring diagrams or instructions. If you have any questions just ask. -Brock
Let's have a wiring diagram, where to find the wires, what color the wires are and where they connect to the relay and the car... alright GO...

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
-=BrocK=- said:
write an installation guide and show pictures of your car with the G-games wheels:thumbup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hay guys and girls,
I know this thread is a bit old, but Im needing some help on installing my Ignited start button. I would really appreciate it if someone could let me know where to run the power and ground from. Ok, Ill even do a write up on my install including pics! Thanks to everyone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts