NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some of the cities that people commute from to nyc. I looking at taking a position in nyc and heard that it would be cheaper for me to live in NJ and commute to NYC. What would the best place to live in NJ be? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Depends what and where you are going to work/live and how you are going to commute.
Hoboken is the up and coming area to live for people in their mid 20's and 30's. The trains are all accessable from there to. I do not recommend driving unless you are petrified of taking public transporation. I drove from Point Pleasant, NJ to Westbury Long ISland every day for work. 90 mile trip one way that took anywhere from an hour and 45 minutes to 4 hours plus. plus the tolls are astronomical.

But def check out Hoboken :) Watch anything around Newark/Elizabeth/Orange area.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Originally posted by KrysyGT

Hoboken is the up and coming area to live for people in their mid 20's and 30's.
But def check out Hoboken :)
If money is not an option, then Hoboken is a real cool place. But if money IS an option, I wouldn't suggest there. It is extremely expensive.

·
Registered
404 Posts
NYC expensive. Metro NY expensive. cheap surrounding area, very far way.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
you should be good with that in NJ :) Check out like rent.com to get an idea.

·
Registered
404 Posts
10003 shuld put u in the east village.
11105 is astoria, iirc
i'm just outside the city line.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what are the taxes like in both states. sales tax and state tax. thanx. would the $1500 be enough to rent a decent house?

·
Registered
404 Posts
1500 gets u a tiny apartment. 2500-3500 will get u a house. jerZ has rediculous car insurance. NY state sales tax is 4%, plus local is usally 4%. NYS income is pretty small. maybe 2%. figure in a few hundred to rent a garage space for ur car, plus utilities/fees for an apartment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts