NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can CAI cause a cylinder to misfire? i wouldnt think so but honestly i dont know much about the electronics of a car and how cai would effect it. I have an autotap and have been getting a CEL for a long time. as soon as i get my car back (getting a bodykit put on right now) im going to scan it and see if i get the code for cylinder misfire. if i do then i shouldnt have to take off my CAI to get the new ECU and injectors. I asked this in another thread and got a good response but now i need to know more about AEM CAI and cylinder misfiring. thanks.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
There you go Rizzo.. Now wait for the knowalls to reply and when they do you'll know whether you have to take it off b4 taking it to the dealer...

Need some help in here.. Can someone contribute?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeh thanks GTS Laid.... thanks for all your help. I also meant to thank you for the TSB reports... but my memory hasnt been so good since the accident.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow... looks like even the knowalls dont know.... yay! i've stumped 'em! come on larryd... what are ya waiting for, i know you know this one.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
misfire

Yes, a CAI can cause a misfire.

If the intake diameter isn't quite what the MAF is calibrated for, you will get a different amount of air into the engine than it is metering.

If you get too much, then you can run lean and get misfires (pinging).

You also moved/disconnected/disabled at least one emissions related component for the intake (there are leftover hoses, right, and not just the butterfly?), well, if this is the case, they could contribute to misfires.

Finally, if you are just getting more air into the engine than the ECU is programmed to compensate for (the fuel maps are no longer correct), then a misfire can occur.

If I were a Toyota service person I would politely suggest putting in your stock airbox to see if the problem persisted. I'd even be nice enough to offer to install it for you (at the standard labor rate).

If the problem persisted after that I might be nice enough to cover it under warranty, but if I were having a bad day or if you rubbed me the wrong way some how, I would just say the problem was caused by the CAI that was there and warranty will not cover it.

So, if it were me, I'd put the stock airbox back in and see if the CEL disappears. If so, you hav ethe answer to your question. If not, go to Toyota and let them fix it, what they don't know can't hurt you.

Scott

·
Registered
251 Posts
Dude, I just came back from Toyota tonight. They replaced the fuel injectors and the computer because of my misfires. I have had the CEL about six times now all for misfires and also have a 3rd Gen Injen CAI. They didn't mention my intake at all and just did the repairs as stated in the TSB's. You'll have no problem. The dealership is not the one that pays for the repair, it's toyota. They won't say a thing. Take it to toyota with the CEL on so they can read the code. Don't reset it or they won't be able to diagnose it and therefore no repairs. Hopefully I won't get the CEL anymore. Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
good to hear that your problem is fixed, so did the intake cause it or what?? i have a 3rd generation intake and my CEL just came on and I checked all the hose but all of them looked okay.

would you notice a lost in performance if you have a misfire??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts