NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2000 gts 6 speed and after having car couple months I went to dragstrip ( no gas at all I remember gas light came on one of runs) just with short ram intake and got 15.4 . Now I got injen CAI, rsr axle back exhaust , rsl limited 18 inch rims with nice yokahamas avs100 tires 225/40/18 and some suspension parts like hockins springs shocks etc but this shouldn't do anything to performance in straight line. So I go to track thinking well if im lucky maybe I run like 15 sec flat. I get to track with more then halftank of gas ran couple time and got horrible times I think the best was 16.3 which is horrible. Yesterday I raced 2001 lexus IS300 with intake exhaust and he got about car lenth on me which really pist me off. My shifting is fine just like last year probably bit better so I really don't know whats wrong with my car but im mad cause all money I put in made it run 16.3 and now is slow as hell. so my question is why my car so slow

1. can larger rims like 18 and more then half tank of gas make that much difference at track?
2. maybe my engine is ****ed up should I do compresion test ?
3. I wish I could do dyno run somewhere around here downers grove IL so I could see what kind of hp the car is putting down
4. I have aem alternator pulley still not installed but I doubt it will make my car any faster ( with my luck I will be hitting 16.7 with that mod)

by the way I drove my dads IS300 2001 auto for about year before I got my celica and I went to track with that car one time and got 15.6 on all the runs I did.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
The only reason to have larger rims is to accommodate bigger brake kits. Wheels add weight, bottom line.

Big mAd tYtE rims may win ricer showfests, but they serve no other purpose and look silly on the streets and track.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea im going to try that next time I go to track. But still rims should not make that much of difference I mean if I ran 15.4 pretty much stock so with cai and exhaust and stock rims Ishould be running 15.-15.2 so what the rims slow me down full sec ?

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
hey11101 said:
yea im going to try that next time I go to track. But still rims should not make that much of difference I mean if I ran 15.4 pretty much stock so with cai and exhaust and stock rims Ishould be running 15.-15.2 so what the rims slow me down full sec ?
its definitely the rims...with intake and exhaust, you should be well in the 14s, ;) just keep practicing. Also put your stock rims back on and see , :) good luck.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Wheels have a lot to do with it because it is bigger, so definitely there is an increase of maybe about 20 pounds all around total depending on the wheel. But you also have to realize it takes more power to turn bigger and heavier wheels. The bigger tires can also make a difference of around 12 pounds all around total depending on the tires.

Another big thing is that half tank of gas. People think they're going to lose weight by taking out seats, spare tire and what not. I don't know if people know this, but the gas you get at the gas station weighs almost 6.5 pounds a gallon. And so even half a tank means you're looking at about 50 pounds, which is a lot heavier than the seats and spare wheel. Do you ever notice the rear of the car dropping down quite a lot after getting a full tank of gas? If you do the quick 10 pounds = 1 less HP (I'm not too sure, it's something I read on these forums sometime somewhere), then you're looking at about 5 HP just from the gas, which can take away any benefits of having the exhaust.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
:moved:

Originally posted by mirconrice
its definitely the rims...with intake and exhaust, you should be well in the 14s, ;) just keep practicing. Also put your stock rims back on and see , :) good luck.
:werd:

·
Registered
656 Posts
I would say the rims and also I would get your lift bolts checked.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did change my oil right before I went and switched to synthetic. Maybe I should change my lift bolts the car does have 60K on it so maybe they are worn out.

By the way I should have pictures up on cardomain soon so you can can check out the rims I got and maybe someone will know how heavy they are.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
perhaps you had close to a 3.0 60' and didnt land lift on the 1-2 and 2-3 ?

thats about the only way that should happen. I've seen people run stock with 18's and do better then 16 seconds.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Originally posted by 00silverGTS6spd
perhaps you had close to a 3.0 60' and didnt land lift on the 1-2 and 2-3 ?

thats about the only way that should happen. I've seen people run stock with 18's and do better then 16 seconds.
true but he's gotta go by his car then vs. his car now...

lose the 18's for the strip, at least the fronts, make sure you have the same amount of gas roughly everytime you go to the track (I try for 1/4 tank)

Otherwise you're not comparing apples to apples.

you mentioned you have hotckis springs and you said they didn't do a thing for straight line performance... I have to disagree... the hotchkis springs should help reduce weight transfer when you launch and if you have some when you're shifting... that too.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
What time of year was it when you first went to the track?

Its pretty damn hot right now which will slow you down considerably.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Another thing probably should have been asked as well.... did you go to the same track as the first time?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
you may be getting more air in and out with intake and exhaust, but you may be running leaner than before, but not enough to spring a CEL. Do you have bogging from your intake. How much do your 18s' weigh? remember even if they weigh the same as the stock 16s' they will still be harder to turn from the larger rotational mass. Unless they are race 18" rims which are expensive, I bet they are much heavier than your stock. I wouldn't be surprised if you lost 15 whp from the rims alone.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea my car does bog especially when it is cold sometimes it doesn't want to move if you start it up on cold engine and try to drive right away. The rims im not sure how much they weight but I got them off ebay for 450 bucks they are called rsl limited 5 spoke gunmetal color with small crome lip. I went to same track and they weather was pretty good around 70 -78 degrees. The car seems like it lost a lot of power at low rpms for exemple if I launch at let say 4000 my wheels only slip for sec if I would have done that before with stock 16 on with toyo tires I would have burned my tires pretty much. Another thing it seems harder to land in lift with 18 on.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
does it bog when the temps are normal too? Are your 60fts the same or different?
when you shift for racing, just punch it. the shift should be like a quick blip, but you got to be in gear of course so you have to do that throw fast as the clutch hits the floor. be careful though and take this advice at your own risk. don't blame me if you mess up your tranny.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
we need to know your 60' and trap speeds from the 15.4 and 16.0

find those numbers and the answeres will be forthcomming

1 - 20 of 26 Posts