NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Spanning Tree Storm
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel the car shaking and some vibration mainly when at speed more than 40 miles. It becomes immense when more than 70 miles. I could say it is on the vertical axis rather the horizontal, if i can describe that way. Steering wheel is shaking a little but not in the way exactly like needing balancing. If I press clutch nothing changes. I checked brakes and braking has no vibration. I am not sure where is the source of the vibration, feels like passenger side but not sure.

I went to shop and balanced the 2 front wheels and checked pressure on 4 wheels.
At the shop ine said it may be axis. Now waiting ideas from you guys....
Should I balance also the 2 rear wheels?

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
Bent rim? Worn tires? Unevenly worn tires? Tie rod? Busted shock? warped rotors?

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Did the shop check the tires for being out of round?

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
Definitely check the rear wheels for balance as well. If the rim/tire are bad enough it will cause a major vibration.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Looking at your wheels my guess is you have a loose ball joint or wheel bearing. They take immense stress when lowered with wrong offset wheels. Did the shop check it???

·
Registered
109 Posts
Typically you can tell if it's front or back from how you feel the vibration. If you can feel it more in the steering wheel then it's likely in the front, if you feel it more in the seat then it's likely the back.

When they do the balancing you should be able to ask them for the "road force" variation/balance. This is a force that an out of round or flat spotted tire will exert on the road. I had someone with a truck come in for a tire balance due to bad vibrations and even with the weights "in balance" on the rim, it still had over 100lbs of road force because the tires were junk.

As others have pointed out though it could be many other things, from bearings to brakes to suspension.

·
Spanning Tree Storm
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bent rim? Worn tires? Unevenly worn tires? Tie rod? Busted shock? warped rotors?
wow long list... What would you think most possible?

Did the shop check the tires for being out of round?
I saw him checking the surface of the tire with his hand, like checking that. I think so....

Definitely check the rear wheels for balance as well. If the rim/tire are bad enough it will cause a major vibration.
I will as soon as possible

Looking at your wheels my guess is you have a loose ball joint or wheel bearing. They take immense stress when lowered with wrong offset wheels. Did the shop check it???
No the shop does only balancing. I will check on Saturday to other shop.

Typically you can tell if it's front or back from how you feel the vibration. If you can feel it more in the steering wheel then it's likely in the front, if you feel it more in the seat then it's likely the back.

When they do the balancing you should be able to ask them for the "road force" variation/balance. This is a force that an out of round or flat spotted tire will exert on the road. I had someone with a truck come in for a tire balance due to bad vibrations and even with the weights "in balance" on the rim, it still had over 100lbs of road force because the tires were junk.

As others have pointed out though it could be many other things, from bearings to brakes to suspension.
Interesting. I feel it mainly in the back. I will also tell about "road force" thanx

Thank you all. I will try balancing the rear, maybe changing the rear to front also for a test. FYI rear left looses air and needs pressure check every 2-3 days. In these days looses about 5 psi. I also will give the car on Saturday to my friend that has the shop I usually do repairs...

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Take it to a real tires/alignment/balance shop where the proper tools and techniques are used to identify just this type of problem multiple times every day.

·
Registered
461 Posts
No thats ridiculous. ANY mechanic that isnt a franchise (mr. muffler, or speedy or garbage like that) can EASILY diagnose this issue.

About roadforce, the machine that can do roadforce balancing are usually very hard to find, I've only ever seen one at a brand new infiniti dealership. They cost far too much for anything other than a dealership to have.

Alignement has nothing to do with this unless he diagnoses feathered tires which IS highly probable looking at the drop. In which case he needs new tires and and alignement afterwards, but the rear cant be adjusted unless he has aftermarket camber arms i think.

Once again my guess, loose suspension component (ball joint, tie rod, wheel bearing)
and likely feathered tires (unevenly worn, usually on the inside so you wont notice unless you look inside the wheel well)

Still, I'm amazed that there exists a shop that does ONLY balancing... that's hilarious and useless.

·
Spanning Tree Storm
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went again to the tire shop. This time I checked rear tires. Last time I hadnt the time to check. Rear tire was broken. Inner side was damaged. Changed tire, problem solved.
Thanx all for trying to help me. This is a great forum :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
firstly Id have the wheels off and check the tyres for run out (shape) at the same time look for flat spots on the rims and check the lug nut holes to make sure theyre not pulled or mis-shaped.
Then take off the brake discs. they MAY be warped but more common is dirt behind them between them and the hub. clean everything and rebuild.
Re-balance the tyres (if theyre ok) and go for a run

1 - 11 of 11 Posts