NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I got a 2003 2zz from a wrecked celica and put it into my 2001 mr2. When I try to start it, it turns on and half the time it backfires but every time it dies on me. It shoots up the 1500 rpms go a sec or two then dies. It also dies immediately when I push the gas pedal down. It stays on and lets me rev it if I continue to inject starter fluid into the throttle.
Here's a list of everything I checked
- changed fuel injectors amd spark plugs.
-changed coil set
-checked ground wires and have a fresh battery in it
-timing is right
-fuel pump is work in and supplying adequate pressure
-compression is over 150 with no big gaps between piston
-changed out fuses and cam and crank sensors
-i had chevron supreme sitting for about 8 months but idk if that can be an issue
-oil and coolant levels are fine
-MAF sensor is clean, all vacuum lines are plugged in
-im getting power to injectors and coils. The fuel rail seems fine also
-i have a celica ECU. Intake manifold is from the celica also
- I have the right o2 sensor plugged in
-my immobiliser is disconnected so its not the key and ignition is fine

Im out of ideas on why my car wont stay on. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
That would be a great start but I would suggest you move this over to spyderchat that way you have a group of 2zz swapped spyder owners helping you out. I have a an 02 spyder with 2zz swap. Luckily I haven't experienced this issue, just a bunch of others.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That would be a great start but I would suggest you move this over to spyderchat that way you have a group of 2zz swapped spyder owners helping you out. I have a an 02 spyder with 2zz swap. Luckily I haven't experienced this issue, just a bunch of others.
Oh okay. I'll register and set up a thread over there. I'll keep this own though in case anyone has any insight on what to do. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so my car starts when the camshaft sensor isnt plugged in, but i wqas under the impression that my car wouldnt start if my sensor wasnt plugged in. as soon as i plug it in the car stalls.

·
Super Moderator
12,227 Posts
its the crank sensor that must be functional for the engine to run. the cam sensor provides position feedback for the VVT. it tells the ECU how much to advance or retard the cams for the running conditions.

you might have a bad sensor giving bad data. also did you swap the pins on the TPS plug. they are reversed.

you really need to get a scan tool. they are about 100 bucks but with a swap, you need one to diagnose any problems

1 - 7 of 7 Posts