NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car exhaust seems to get a bit excessively stinky any time I hit lift, which I dont know if thats quite normal. It doesnt really smell like exhaust but more like theres some bad seals or something, and I've had people complain about it if they're behind me. My engine has 64k miles on it and a few weeks ago I misshifted and caught it at about 8500-9000RPM. I'm all stock with the BV valve removed and my exhuast unbolted at the axle. Is this something to be concerned about?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Check your spark plugs. There's alot of things it could be, but that's usually easiest fix.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ryude said:
Check your spark plugs. There's alot of things it could be, but that's usually easiest fix.
Check them for being old or for not being properly installed? I just replaced them myself a few thousand miles ago with NGK iridiums. I'm pretty sure they're sparking fine, because I would feel it if one didn't fire, and I havent got a CEL yet.

is this a new exhaust system or stockie??
Stock, with the flange unbolted just before the muffler.

·
Registered
273 Posts
is there any smoke coming out of the back thru the exhaust... Are you leaking any oil? Any problems when you hit lift? Did the problem start immediately after you mis-shifted?

Also...what kinda smell? The only think I can think of is oil...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With the exhaust coming out where it does, its hard to see if theres any smoke. I tried to check last night but i coudlnt see anything in the dark. I'll have a friend rev it today while I watch for oil smoke. When it started, i first noticed it with the exhaust off, which would have been about a week or 2 after I mishifted, so it could just be a coincidence that people have complained about it after I misshifted, and it'd be easier for me to smell it because the exhaust stops under the car.

The smell is hard to describe...its kind of along the lines of a normal exhaust smell but its pretty rich. I guess it smells like some of those old cars you get behind once in a while and you can tell the engine isnt running very efficent anymore.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Try putting the exhaust back on the car and see if you still get the smell coming from behind the car... Sometimes the weirdest crap will stop the problem...
My guess is that you're burning oil and that's where the smell is coming from...

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
When I was installing my TRD exhaust, I drove it around the block without an exhaust just to see what it sounded like. In addition to being loud as hell, it also smelled kind of like gas. I figured it ran rich like that. My car has never had that smell since with the exhuast bolted up as it should be.

·
Registered
564 Posts
^^ Yep that sums it up right there the muffler gets hot and burns up unused fuel vapors

jayspeedy24 said:
get in a closed garage with the car still running and try to see if the smell is still there...
Haha yeah and if you stay in there long enough you wont smell anything ever again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts