NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i got a battery for my car tonight and put it in, when i go to start the car the, starter goes and it looks like the engine is cranking over also but no luck, anyone know what that is? and also when i take the key out of the ignition the starter wont turn off! i have to disconnect the battery for it to turn off. before when it worked my clutch was dead and like it kinda sputtered on eccel from a stop, anyone have any ideas?

last time the car was on was about 2 months ago. its an 86 mr2 5 speed.

·
Registered
861 Posts
spray some brake cleaner on the flux capacitor, should do the trick :thumbup:

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
ImSoNastie said:
ok so i got a battery for my car tonight and put it in, when i go to start the car the, starter goes and it looks like the engine is cranking over also but no luck, anyone know what that is? and also when i take the key out of the ignition the starter wont turn off! i have to disconnect the battery for it to turn off. before when it worked my clutch was dead and like it kinda sputtered on eccel from a stop, anyone have any ideas?

last time the car was on was about 2 months ago. its an 86 mr2 5 speed.
When you turn your key to the "ON" (just before crank) position does the check engine light come on for the bulb check?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im pretty sure it does, i have to have the battery disconnected now or the starter goes crazy and the battery sparks when i connect the negative, its like the ignition is on when the key is out.

·
Registered
792 Posts
usually the starter solenoid being out results in the starter not working at all and instead just the click click of the magneto's going. But I guess it could be stuck in the on position. I would go with the ignition being funked up.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Tap the solenoid on your starter with a hammer gently then try putting the battery back on. If it works fine then your starter contacts had welded themselves. It happens sometimes on older cars. You can also remove your starter and take that little pentagonal plate thats held on with 3 screws off and pop the plunger out and check the condition of it and the contacts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts