NewCelica.org Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
Simple check is to check continuity between the starter after the solenoid and the parking brake cable. Should be NOTHING, anything other than nothing is a problem.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Any update? Now my curiosity is peaked...
Umm I was able to start the car after I retightened the starter cable. Started it few times, it was great. Lowered it down off the jackstands and it wouldn't turn on again. Tried adding another ground using jumper cables and it almost started. Today not even close. Gonna try everything again on Friday. I'll post a link from Spyderchat of my progress....

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
Sounds like you have some bad cables or connections. Re-do the engine and body grounds (clean, check, tighten, add) and then do the same for the starter cabling. Having too much cable (awg wise) is better than too little and a little redundancy won't hurt. 4ga cabling is cheap and plenty thick for grounds and powers.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I should hopefully be able to work on that tomorrow. I just don't understand why all of a sudden the grounds might be bad when I was able to start it up pretty easily before. I must have really messed something up 

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Still no luck.
I cleaned up the battery cables, grounds on the driver side strut tower, cleaned up the ground near the engine lid that connects to the head on the passenger side, checked the ground on the cylinder head from the harness near the fuel rail. There's also a cable from the transmission to the cylinder head that looked okay. Are these grounds correct? The brake cable continues to heat up. Checked the starter and cable, still good. But now it doesn't even click. Tried jumping it with my other car and nothing. So I guess I'll try adding another ground. Anybody in the LA area free this weekend to tale a look at it? I might send it to corner3 garage to see if they can fix it, but towing it there will probably be uber expensive and then whatever they charge. DDPR is too far for me too.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Dobt worry about the grounds, fin out were the power wire is grounding out. Sounds like your lifting the car and moving something just enough to clear a chaffed wire

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Success she fired up!!!
I did a couple of things today.
1. Went under the car and tapped the starter with a rubber mallet (don't know if this did anything
2. Checked the cable from starter to batter post and found no breaks or fraying, seemed solid.
3. Added a ground cable from some speaker wire that i had taken out of the car. Not sure if this fixed the problem or just added a band-aid to a bigger problem.

that problem appears to be fixed on to the next problems!
1. I can't shift very easily, can't put it in reverse, I have a feeling I might have swapped the shifter cables, is there any way to confirm this? I actually didn't put in the locking clips just in case I might have gotten them backwards.

2. There is a coolant leak coming from the tee fitting connecting the bottle to the hoses. Not sure why it's leaking I never messed with it, I'm not sure if it's as simple as just adjusting the clamp. I'm waiting for the engine to cool down a bit before I got messing with it and get nice hot coolant all over my hands.

Thank you everyone for all of your help and patience, for someone who has never done anything on this level, I appreciate all your guidance.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Okay so I can't shift into 2nd, 4th, and reverse. I tried reading through the various transmission problems and nothing seems to address the issue I'm having. I don't think the shifter cables are backwards. If I didn't put the clips that hold the transmission cables in could this possible cause the problem described above?

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
Can you manually shift into those gears at the trans with the levers? Is this with engine on or off?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I fixed the problem it was that the shifter cables were locked in. Once that was done I was able to shift through all the gears. Took the car for the test drive and here's what I found:

Couple of things:

1. Still have a coolant leak that needs to be fixed, it's in the hose that connects the bottom of the coolant reservoir to the tee fitting that connects to the metal pipe in the side of the engine. I'll get a picture later so you can see what I'm talking about.

2. The idle is great, but there is still a BIG hesitation initially, like 1.5k - 2.5k rpm, then it revs okay, but it isn't a real smooth acceleration. I cleaned the MAF and reset the ECU but no luck.

3. I'm debating now if I still want the exhaust to come out from under the middle of the car like che's lotus style exhaust, or if I want it to come out through the reinforcement beam toward the driver side. I'll worry about that when I fix the two problems above first.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
My own 2.75" short ram intake, I'm wondering if the bb mod will fix it?

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
Put a stock intake tube on there with the fins. Its probably the issue, no fins and too large a diameter.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Sweeeeeet it lives! Do the bb mod on the intake, I bet it'll make a huge difference. Do the exhaust out the middle, it'll have the shortest path possible

Not even my car, and I'm stoked that the thing is alive

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Sweeeeeet it lives! Do the bb mod on the intake, I bet it'll make a huge difference. Do the exhaust out the middle, it'll have the shortest path possible

Not even my car, and I'm stoked that the thing is alive
Lol thanks, the other route through the reinforcement in my case is actually shorter

21 - 36 of 36 Posts