NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I need to hear from people with CB or Black ...their procedure/schedule for washing/waxing/polishing.

Speciffically, what products do you use and in what order.
Zaino and Meguiares are the two i have heard the most about.
Tell me how you keep your finish up to par.

I need to start a regime with mine, but i want to do it right.

Thanks
Brandon

·
Registered
181 Posts
Black is the color I have

I wash with Mothers Cal Gold soap
use wool washmit, dry with synthetic chamois
use only Meguires Gold Class, and clay 2 times a year...

I wax the car 3-4 times a year

·
Registered
687 Posts
Steps:::
1) Water down entire car with hose, no pressure - no thumb no attachments , natural hose spout
2) Bucket with Meguiars Gold Wash soap, or the other Meguairs soap - wash car while wet with a hairy fur glove, then rinse
3) Dry with a special towel thats a synthetic chamois but absorbs 3 times more than it, and its lightweight
4) Clean Rims with Megairs Wheel spray
5) Hose off rims
6) Use BlackMagic tire polish (the gel) to clean the tires
7) Take a foam or old tshirt, cotton towel, etc. and apply Megairs' wax. they have a formula for which of their waxes to apply and a order...look at the store... for what type of shine u want.
8) Wax on wax off
9) Marvel at ur celica!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Wool? --kinda makes me cringe (is it safe?)

I've always heard use 100% Cotton.

·
Registered
106 Posts
This is an important issue

I deal with this on a daily basis. My car is also spectra blue, and it scratches so easy it drives me crazy. So far all that i have ever learned is still not enough and even my cotton cloth leaves marks. I cant even get all the bugs off by washing, i have to break out the clay bar. We can team up can help each other deal with this ridiculous but beautiful finish.

Im going to make this a sticky as soon as i can get larry to tell me how.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have Carbon Blue. I've only had the car for about a month and have not waxed it yet. It really sucks cause when I bought the car by the time I knew I wanted to buy it it was dark out and I didn't notice this "scuffing" on the passenger door. It almost looks like mild oxidation that's clouding the clearcoat. ROTTEN BASTARDS! Anyway, I've just taken it to the local do-it-yourself carwash and I use a regular shammy. I apply the same technique in drying the car as one normally does with windows, making sure it's totally dry before I stop wiping. That at least takes care of the water spots.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, looks like Meguires is the product to use, i have also heard several people use Zaino. But one thing i that was suggested by a friend with a dark blue Vette...use Micro fiber cloths for application and removale of polish/wax...absolutley zero scratching.

·
Banned
798 Posts
tru man my mom bought me those ficroiber cloths and i used them to see if they worked and i did my hood with liquid glass really quick after a wash and there were no swirl marks at all..and it made me figure out why the hell my car still had swirl marks in iut just after a good wash and wax...it was becasue the 100% cotton cloths i was using didnt take the wax off easy so it would cause me to rub harder and create even mnore swirl marks....basically these things are excellent..

Ghost

·
Registered
808 Posts
The zaino web site has some pretty convincing testimonials. Their product contains no wax, which makes it different from most others. Sometimes my (silver) car has a yellowish sheen to it after waxing. As soon as my Meguires stuff runs out, I'm going to try it.

·
Registered
785 Posts
The synthetic chamois I use is called "The Absorber" and it works awesome! I am also one more that would reccommend Meguires for the wax.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well I'm still having problems with swirling. I'm not blessed with a front yard and a hose so I have to go to a carwash. What really sucks about that is that I'm thinking it would be easier to clean the car one panel at a time but carwashes make you hurry because you're on a timer.I haven't tried the microfiber cloth yet which I've been looking into
Sparkleauto.com is a cool place to find stuff like this

So Ghostface, was it the microfiber cloth or the liquid glass that prevented the swirling?

·
Banned
798 Posts
HISFROGNESS well the liquid glass is a really good wax and its abrasive so it takesd away some of the swirl marks....but the microfiber towels took th wax off really really easily and were dust free...so basoically when i was using just cotton cloths to take the wax off i was trying really hard to get all the wax off the car therefore putting swirl marks back inot the clearcoat.. since the microfiber clths made it easy to take all the wax off easy and i didnt have to rub really hard to get it off....so they do help prevent sweirl marks...they are excellent purchace....buy em ..u will see a difference.

BTW i have a spectra blue celic..but that color is just as high maintinenece as the carbon blue and black

Ghost

·
Registered
73 Posts
OK, so yesterday I went and bought some microfiber cloths and Liquid Glass. I get home and, after reading the instructions, realize I should have bought the Liquid Glass Pre-Cleaner
because I just used Maguier's(sp?) wax on it 3 washes ago. Crap!

Anyway, I didn't feel like going back so I just washed it with the regular soap they have at the do-it-yourself carwash and used the microfiber cloths. I wanted to see how much of an improvement it was over regular chammois'. I was pleasantly surprised. It seemed to break up the water into much smaller droplets so, while there were still swirl marks, they were much less noticable.

I'm a little nervous about using Liquid Glass on my baby. Besides the part where it says it removes the oxidized paint, something else concerns me. It says that 1.) It may leave streaks which you can rub out with a damp cloth and 2.) "baking" the car in the sunlight will bond the Liquid Glass to the paint. So what if there's a streak that you don't see and subsequently "bake" the Liquid Glass to your paint? It sounds like you'll have permanent streaks.

One question though. After applying this stuff, will it remove swirling from happening at all?

·
Banned
798 Posts
no there is no way possiblke that will ever prevent swirl marks from ever coming bsack...this stuff like moist abrasive waxes is just mainly a wax/polish/cleaner that takes of the top layer of cler coat to bring out a fresh coat on top...its not baad for your car at all...and the streaks..well i've never goten streaks and the thing that makes liqud glass so great is that u can use it in direct sunlight and then it still come off sooo easily...u wont get streaks imprinted int he car permanently...trust me...just maybe after u finish waxing with liquid glsass u might want to use a buffer to go over the car once more or just use a new microfiber cloth lightly over the car...and i never used the pre cleaner on the car..i usually just wash i and wax it with this stuff like once a month..but im gfonna start using some of the other hard waxes to get a rerally good coat of protection on there after i was/polish the car with liqued glass...

trust me..your paint wotn get f*cked up...

Ghost

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well... carbon blue is basically black except that it has a metallic element about it. If you are comparing Meguires and Zaino there really is NO comparison. Especially if you mean the Meguires you buy in the store for like $5. Zaino is a polymer based polish and sealant system will make your paint luster and make the metallic element stand out and protect it for 6-12 months at a time. Whereas Meguires is a carnuba based OTC product that will protect for a month or two. Zaino is also 100% nonabrasive except for the claybar step.

If you go Zaino, follow their steps and use all their products as all their products contain compatible polymers and even washing your car using their wash will reinforce the polymers on your paint for months and months of protection.

If you go Meguires, then more or less the steps have been laid out in this thread.

Oh and as for drying a CMA like The Absorber or quality MF towels work good and should take care of the scratching problem. Just make sure there is no residue on your car whenever you wash it though because either will still drag dirt across your paint after you wash it. An MF is slightly better at that though since the hook fibers will trap dirt and debris and pull them away from the surface unlike a cheap cotton towel. For any cotton towel that touches your paint, make sure its terry. Terry will have a similar effect as MF but to a much lesser degree.

Laurence

·
Chronic Celica Owner
409 Posts
My paint is carbon blue. I havent tried the liquid glass yet, unless your talking about "gold class"? I used that and it does come off easy, but still left swirl marks. I have been extremely happy with Blue Coral's "Product X" fill in glaze. It makes the paint so extremely smooth and removed 90% of the swirl marks. I use the absorber after washing also and its good. Theres one other thing that i use when all finished that seems to complete the job, get rid of any stray spots, and makes it more glossy and smoother- Meguires "quik detailer" mist and wipe spray.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Can you guys give me hints on how to go through the Meguire's steps of the cleaner (step 1), polish (2) and then wax(3)? I tried to use it last time i washed my car, but I gave up, because it made no difference, as I saw. I was probably doing it wrong though. For each one of those products, I just put it on, and immediately tried to take it off. What should I do? The instructions on them arn'y very clear.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, firstly Meguires is kind of a cheap brand in the big scheme of things. Secondly, since most of us have newer cars you most likely will not see a difference using these products on our cars anyway unless maybe you have a 2001 that has been parked outside for the last two years. I have a 2001 and it still looks like new. I could probably polish it 5 times in a row and barely be able to tell any difference. Also, because of how new our cars our I recommend not using a strong cleaner on it at all unless your paintjob looks like it would need it.

As for how to use the products... first, do not use cleaner or polish more than once every six months unless the instructions indicate otherwise or your paint visible needs it (most likely you do not with any car less than 3 years old.)

As for application, never used a cleaner since all my cars are new but its probably used the same way as polish and wax. Basically, just go over your whole car and apply it (cleaner, polish or wax) to your entire car and let it dry. Then just buff the cleaner/polish/wax off. It must be dry. If it smears or is difficult to get off it probably isnt dry yet. Some people will leave polymer based polishes or their wax on for a longer time so that more of the protectants "stick" to the surface. I do this personally since Im in no rush. I usually let my polish or wax sit for 10 minutes to an hour while I watch TV or something before going back out to buff it all off.

Oh yeah and never do any of these things in the sun unless the product you are using is entirely polymer based and the instructions dont indicate otherwise.

Laurence

·
Registered
232 Posts
HisFrogness said:
Well I'm still having problems with swirling. I'm not blessed with a front yard and a hose so I have to go to a carwash. What really sucks about that is that I'm thinking it would be easier to clean the car one panel at a time but carwashes make you hurry because you're on a timer.I haven't tried the microfiber cloth yet which I've been looking into
Sparkleauto.com is a cool place to find stuff like this

So Ghostface, was it the microfiber cloth or the liquid glass that prevented the swirling?
Hey listen i just got this stuff from wal mart. it meguires Scratch X or something like that. it removes minor scratches and swirl marks. Works awesome!!! i just did my whole car with it yesterday and it looks so sweet. I parked in front of my house today and i could see everything like looking into a mirror! Hot ish here guys...check it out. Its like 7-8 bucks. Well worth it.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts