NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well i got my carbon fiber hatch the other day and i went up to dunaway to see how much it would be to transfer my stock glass into the carbon fiber hatch....
Ok so i talked to the dude that worked there and it is 75 bucks to transfer the glass to the hatch. Decent price i thought.
Then he tells me they cant use the stock moldings that go around the glass becuase they need to cut that to remove the glass from the hatch itself. And that they could order me some new moldings to install it into the carbon fiber hatch. I thought okay well this stuff shouldnt be that much. I AM WRONG SIRS!!
they called the toyota dealership to see how much it would be for the moldings and it is almost 175 bucks for that crap.. why is it so much money for rubber moldings??
little weird to me.... anyone know where i can get the crap for cheaper or if dunaway is tryin to charge more or something??? cus that seems like alot for some moldings....
maybe im just a cheap ass lol

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok i put this in the wrong forum... i was tryin to put it in the appearance forum lol...
could someone move it for me..
Its late! sorry

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Mr. BUbLeGuM said:
ok well i got my carbon fiber hatch the other day and i went up to dunaway to see how much it would be to transfer my stock glass into the carbon fiber hatch....
Ok so i talked to the dude that worked there and it is 75 bucks to transfer the glass to the hatch. Decent price i thought.
Then he tells me they cant use the stock moldings that go around the glass becuase they need to cut that to remove the glass from the hatch itself. And that they could order me some new moldings to install it into the carbon fiber hatch. I thought okay well this stuff shouldnt be that much. I AM WRONG SIRS!!
they called the toyota dealership to see how much it would be for the moldings and it is almost 175 bucks for that crap.. why is it so much money for rubber moldings??
little weird to me.... anyone know where i can get the crap for cheaper or if dunaway is tryin to charge more or something??? cus that seems like alot for some moldings....
maybe im just a cheap ass lol
Have you thougth of using lexan? It is more easily moved around than glass. But yea you are very right about molding costing so much. However I thought the glass was held on by some sort of glue/silcon (like headlights, or rear quarter windows)

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
watz the difference better regular glass and lexan glass? it would seem to me to just use the stock glass since itz made for the celica and everything. Yeah it sux that moldings cost so damn much...
it probably gonna cost more to get the damn glass transfered than it is to put the new hatch on my car lol..

TRIPPIN- they didnt charge you for the moldings? didnt they have to cut them out to take the glass out? how much was it to do yours?

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
well lexan is a type of acrylic plexiglass. I still cant believe the price of the molding man.. That is really insane. Good luck on getting it installed

·
Registered
903 Posts
Stock glass = normal auto glass, hard, brittle, very heavy, very reistant to corrosion

plexiglass/acrylic = hard plastic, very very brittle and pretty weak, never used for automotive stuff, pretty light

Lexan = polycarbonate, extremily strong and tough, very light, will discolor with time if exposed to oils/solvents

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
Mr. BUbLeGuM said:
watz the difference better regular glass and lexan glass? it would seem to me to just use the stock glass since itz made for the celica and everything. Yeah it sux that moldings cost so damn much...
it probably gonna cost more to get the damn glass transfered than it is to put the new hatch on my car lol..

TRIPPIN- they didnt charge you for the moldings? didnt they have to cut them out to take the glass out? how much was it to do yours?
it looks like they reused it. there's no leaks or anything. my old hatch had nothing on it after they replaced it with the cf hatch. sorry but there was no charge for me since i had my car resprayed.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah true i guess i could try to go to another place and see what they say... but i dont wanna take any chances with reusing the old moldings for leaking or anything cus the dude told me that they had to cut the old molding off to get the window out..

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Thats not outrageous at all. The weather stripping surround for my 300ZX t-tops was 700$. $175 for the rear sounds about right.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah i waz talkin to them and the stuff i need is special made to fit the celica with some kind of SPECIAL rubber that they have to use or something...

·
12+ years daily driver
8,599 Posts
what do all of you do in states that they will ticket you for having lexan rear windows?

can you open and shut the stock hatch and the stock glass's weight not crack the corners of the mold of the hatch? It just seems that repeated opening and closing would cause bad things to happen to the tabs that hold the glass at the corners of the hatch.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
hey he isnt lying about the piece the one piece of the driver and pass door the one from the mirror to the back is like 92 each side than the rear one that holds in the rear side window is 84 dollas and it comes with the window in it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts