NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if the all carbon fiber hood would reduce weight enough to actually notice a diiferance in horsepower as compared to a stock metal hood??

Does anyone know the differance in weight between a carbon fiber and a stock hood?

~david

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Lightening a car does not increase horsepower however it does increase the power to weight ratio.. I havent driven a celica with a cf hood myself so i couldnt tell you if it's noticeable. My guess is that it is slightly noticeable... but nothing major.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
A good rule of thumb is this.
For every 100lbs you remove from the car you will take of 0.1 second on your 1/4 mile time. Its not an exact since, but it seems to work real well.
:)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
First off as someone said above, you never "INCREASE" horsepower by taking off some weight. I don't see how people say this, I mean you didn't even add an aftermarket performace part, so there would be no reason to "INCREASE" it. But it put less weight that the car has to pull => get more of the power that the engine has potential of.

A good rule of thumb also that I hear is, lose 10 pounds, and you get 1 flywheel hp "back".

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
KSilver2000 said:
First off as someone said above, you never "INCREASE" horsepower by taking off some weight. I don't see how people say this, I mean you didn't even add an aftermarket performace part, so there would be no reason to "INCREASE" it. But it put less weight that the car has to pull => get more of the power that the engine has potential of.

A good rule of thumb also that I hear is, lose 10 pounds, and you get 1 flywheel hp "back".
Ummmm... didnt you just controdict your self?
How would removing weight add to flywheel power????
Its not a HP thing, its Weight to HP thing.
The lighter the car is the less HP it takes to acheive your goal.

In fact, if you make a car to light with to much HP, you can hinder your performance. Making it to hard to keep the tires on the ground. Resulting in Wheel Spin.

If you want an idea on how weight effects your trap speed. then give this lil fun website a try.

http://www.torinocobra.com/horsepower.htm

:)

·
Registered
357 Posts
KSilver2000 said:
settle down. he was just using the term horsepower in a general way.. not.. "will a CF hood give me 10hp". he was asking if having one would make what hp he has now more effective.

Glitch has a good point in shedding too much weight... but only if it's from the front end of your car. it's the opposite for RWD cars. more weight above your drive tire(s) results in better tractions.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Very true

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
DJ_GLITCH_OS said:
In fact, if you make a car to light with to much HP, you can hinder your performance. Making it to hard to keep the tires on the ground. Resulting in Wheel Spin...
The amount of traction available is reduced with less weight, however so is the amount of traction needed.

For example, a 1500lb only needs half the traction of a 3000lb car to accelerate at the same rate.

Weight loss is the best thing you can do for performance. However, I like my heavy, well-equipped Celica :D

In FWD drag racing, you shouldn't shift weight off the front to the rear (ie. relocate battery to trunk), but you should lighten anything you can (ie. lighter battery, but still upfront)

·
Registered
839 Posts
It's sad to see everyone so concerned with 'straight line' performance. Taking weight off the car will lower the cars inertia. This will yeild faster transitions, better cornering speeds and improve braking distance. Since the hood is at one of the high points on a car, it will have the greatest effect given the same amount of weight removed else where below it.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Raymund said:
It's sad to see everyone so concerned with 'straight line' performance. Taking weight off the car will lower the cars inertia. This will yeild faster transitions, better cornering speeds and improve braking distance. Since the hood is at one of the high points on a car, it will have the greatest effect given the same amount of weight removed else where below it.
dang you! you beat me too it!!!

Reducing weight is a great mod you can do to your car, it will help your cornering, braking, and acceleration. granted 20lbs might not seem much right now, but add up the weight you'll save with lightweight wheels and other lightweight parts and it all adds up.

Take for example my s2000, the stock exhaust weights 50 lbs! the one I will be moving to is 12lbs and gains 7-9rwhp. That's 38 lbs saved, which equated to the same as adding 3hp and I also get 8hp from the free flow exhaust. Then say I decide to go to a carbon fiber hood and it save me 15. That's over 50lbs saved right there. Now my car accelerates quicker, brakes better, carries more speed into and out of a turn, has much quicker transitional response, and is a little bit easier on the tires.

Less weight = going faster! Here's a weight reduction for you, this s2000 is only 2300lbs. and yes that wing on the back is functional and no it doens't add much weight, it's fully CF so it's like 2-4lbs

and yes it does move! It kicked butt in OTC (open track challenge) this yr (2nd place in Unlimited 3), here's a link to the thread about Rylans car. http://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116070

I estimate a 500-lb weight reduction in a car this size to be akin to gaining 40-45hp or more importantly, a second off one's 1/4-mile time which in most cases, would result in one nipping at low 13's and perhaps even high 12's, depending on how the weight loss affects traction off the line.
Formula used is 1-lb = .0021 seconds in 1/4-mile.
^^^ from the thread linked above.

Karim

·
Registered
417 Posts
well i can tell u this much i can fell the difference between driving by my self and driving with somebody
cf hood 20 lbs
veliside exhaust 20 lbs
back seats ? lbs

i don

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.