NewCelica.org Forum banner

Carbon Fiber Material

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  DOJAGUY 
#1 ·
Since it is very tough to find places/people to wrap certain pieces that I need still, I am going to dig in and learn how to wrap my own items by starting with the smaller parts that I have laying around as extras. Since there are a couple of people that have wrapped their own items, some guidance as far as materials, steps and resources would be great.

To start off, where are great places to by 2x2 twill carbon fiber?

What is a great brand of resin? West Systems is apparently a good brand.

#9 ·
I've had a few isntances of success buying raw cf twill off of ebay. idk if people still sell it on there but i always sourced my parts individually.

i never used a kit. essentially i bought the cf off of ebay, the 2 part epoxy from a chemical company (it's pretty easy to find and i don't remember the name of the company, sorry [i even checked my email!]) and then did wet lay ups of my parts. the only one i had good success with was the door sill liner. otherwise you pretty much need to vacuum bag.

vacuum bagging can be done pretty easily without kits. just find low density plastic, tape it off, tape some sort of a bung onto it and then attach it to any strong vacuum source you can find (consider using the intake of an air compressor or renting one from a tool rental place. household vacuum cleaners won't do). the only thing you have to custom make when you do this setup is some sort of fluid catch can (i saw a cheap one made out of a tin can, look on ebay or google for it) for the epoxy so none of it enters the actual vacuum.

all in all i budgeted about 200 bucks for the project but didn't care enough to do it especially considering that i didn't have spare parts to wrap so if i messed up i'd be SOL

#10 ·
forgot to mention, when i did the wet lay up, i actually spray glued the cf onto the part first and then just seal it with epoxy so it wasn't even a real wet lay up - this is really tricky though and you only get one shot. i used 3M type 88 (super 88?) as my spray glue - this shit gets tacky quickly so you have very little room to play with. make sure you tape off all of the edges of the CF you're working with if you decide to go this route otherwise it'll fray like crazy. this is the easiest way to cosmetically wrap parts in your garage IMO if you just want a quick DIY on your own parts - no real investment in tools needed.

#16 ·
The headliner would be a beast to do!!
not if you dont have a sunroof
I will not be wrapping my headliner because I have it wrapped in black ultrasuede and love it!

I order my carbon also from carbonmods.
Very easy to order and fast delivery
I didn't order from carbonmods. I bought one of RW Customs starter kits. It was cheaper and would arrive here faster than coming from overseas. As for the other materials, I ordered from Jamestown Distributors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.