NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my CC is toast (GT..go figure) (over 89k.. so no warranty :wtc: ) and I'm going to have to get around to replacing it. I know that the factory unit is high flow already, but to order that would be expensive. I would rather go aftermarket. I am in texas so we have standard OBDII, which most facilities only use the OBD-port to test.

With that in mind, my real questions are..
1)What brand of aftermarket Cat would YOU get and WHY? (Magnaflow/Carsound, Catco, Random Technology)
2)would it pass emmisions or throw a CEL? (any1 w/ experience who've had an aftermarket CC for some time would know best, so please, do tell...)
3)Is a metal substrate CC more likely to have other issues with o2 sensors, emmisions testing, & overloading? & Is it worth the extra couple of bucks for RandomTechnology?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
My CC and both o2 sensors are fried actually... CC glowed red before igniting a fire under my car and smoking my car up a storm and melting the chassis electrical harness. If it isn't totally clogged it may let air pass.. but imo it's probably a goner... Magnaflow's website says their CC's are now OBDII compliant and will pass emmisions testing. (I was thinking about getting model:53006) I've also heard similar stories from actual people w/ Catco replacements (not from the Catco website) It's ok to have an aftermarket CC in texas if your old CC fails (in the highly unlikely case of an underside visual inspection) so the only 'real' emmisions issue would likely be how the o2 sensors are affected over time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no biters eh...

Nobody at ALL has experience with this? I had to order one already, but more responses before I made that decision might have been cool, & it would still be good information. :sadpace:

·
Registered
37 Posts
6speedGTS said:
Nice, about time. Now lets see 2.5" or 3" Hmmmmmmmmm...
if you check the site using the application finder, you'll see that they don't actually make an OBD-II compliant for the Celica. i spoke to them on the phone the other day, and they confirmed that. quess we're still out of luck...

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
patsfan said:
6speedGTS said:
Nice, about time. Now lets see 2.5" or 3" Hmmmmmmmmm...
if you check the site using the application finder, you'll see that they don't actually make an OBD-II compliant for the Celica. i spoke to them on the phone the other day, and they confirmed that. quess we're still out of luck...
Nobody makes one because it's integrated into the stock midpipe, not bolt on like a lot of other car manufacturers. You'd have to cut the stock one out and weld any replacement cat in, no matter the brand.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts