NewCelica.org Forum banner
81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 · (Edited)
Yeah why didn't u drain the coolant and oil into a pan???

2000 GTS Turbo
That was entirely my dad's suggestion and I wasn't going to fight him on that one. My brother lost our large pan and the pan I had was aready filled because coolant is a pain to dispose of.

We actually prevented even more of a mess by using carboard, it looks worse than it is

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Do you live home with your mum and dad?
Just guessing from the oil and water all over the place.
Yep, I got absorber for all of it and am probably going to be scrubing those for a while.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
My brother just now got a replacement pan and I'm going to drain the rest of the fluids in there. Believe me, I did NOT want to do it like this, but I have a deadline for this and my parents just said fuck it because they want it running again as well.

i have a more well prepared set up for the tear down, and expect no more problems from this point. I'm pretty sure I have everything for the rest aside from cleaners.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Update: Wasn't able to get pictures today due to poor lighting, but I'm getting the cradle off right now. I had to pick up the 14mm hex bit, and will have it off first thing tomorrow. Looking in the pan revealed ALOT of metal in the oil, as well as a small piece of bearing. What would you guys recommend I use to clean off the parts?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Kero, an oil drain tray and parts cleaning brush. then rinse everything off in your mum’s white laundry tub or hose it off on your dads front lawn..

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Kero, an oil drain tray and parts cleaning brush. then rinse everything off in your mum’s white laundry tub or hose it off on your dads front lawn..
I have a better method for disposal so that I don't have to make anymore of a mess. Getting my hands on Kerosene is a bit of a pain atm considering that I have very limited transport. Would dish soap, and elbow grease be enough, and what material should the brush be, nylon?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Update: I found the failure point.

Wood Handwriting Snout Metal Auto part
Gas Font Auto part Wood Electric blue
Wood Gesture Jewellery Metal Fashion accessory
Wood Dishware Gas Auto part Jewellery
Wood Wall Font Art Automotive tire
Textile Sleeve Wood Gas Personal protective equipment
Wood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Tap
Bicycle part Tap Material property Wood Auto part

The spun bearing was practically fused to the crank and required a chisel to come off. Looks like the crank and rod are also toast, so that's more to add to the list. Now to move onto cleaning.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Elbow grease is going to do nothing. U need purple power and a hot water pressure washer. Without that it will never be the same as before.

Also ull need rods, bearings and a crank.

2000 GTS Turbo

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Elbow grease is going to do nothing. U need purple power and a hot water pressure washer. Without that it will never be the same as before.

Also ull need rods, bearings and a crank.

2000 GTS Turbo
I've read purple power isn't safe for aluminium. I'd rather start softer and then move up rather than mess things up further by overdoing the cleaning, most of the carbon comes off with my fingernail anyways, so it's not going to need much to clean. I was planning on having to change the damaged rod, but the rest look fine, I will be measuring tolerances to make sure they're still serviceable. Keep in mind this is a rebuild on a VERY limited budget, and I'm not trying to fall down the pit of replacing everything.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Main bearings all looked all right, a bit worn, but nothing catastrophic.

Brown Wood Rectangle Font Brick
Wood Automotive wheel system Gas Auto part Machine
Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Bumper
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rim
Tableware Drinkware Automotive lighting Liquid Hood
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Machine
Wood Gesture Font Symbol Circle
Horseshoe Wood Font Number Circle

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
The races for the bearings also are looking good if a bit worn, I'm relieved to see that the engine can be saved. :D

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive engine gasket Rim Gas
Liquid Drinkware Kitchen appliance Tableware Bottle
Automotive tire Gas Auto part Wood Automotive wheel system
White Wood Rectangle Line Font
White Light Wood Gas Automotive wheel system
Wood Automotive tire Gas Bumper Machine tool

The picture doesn't really show it, but there was plenty of metal in the oil, as well as some little chunks of bearing.

Liquid Water Tap Fluid Waterfall
Pollinator Wood Recipe Twig Cuisine

Lastly, pictures of my "workshop". To illustrate just how low-budget we're talking here.

Wood Wall Font Gas Grass
Wood Motor vehicle Public space Auto part Engineering

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Font Screenshot Technology Parallel Rectangle

I still need to figure out the rod bearing sizes, but so far this is the total damage, not including cleaning and measuring tools. Overall not so bad and it should have the engine back in tip-top shape. Everything else seems fine so far, and if everything goes well I can get her back up and running before the end of the year!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Get your mum to order kero with the shopping.. we can buy it from any hardware or supermarket. Bigger gallon bottles from Kmart or something Walmart type place.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Get your mum to order kero with the shopping.. we can buy it from any hardware or supermarket. Bigger gallon bottles from Kmart or something Walmart type place.
Both of my parents work full-time jobs, they unfortunately don't really have time for that. I'd have to wait to do the shopping myself when they're not using their vehicles, and that's very hit and miss. If I get the chance to run to the store myself I'll look out for it. Might be able to have some shipped home.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,637 Posts
Welcome to the #4 spun rod bearing club.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,637 Posts
Do we get cool hats?
No, lighter wallets.....

Pay attention to the #4 main bearing. Pretty sure main bearing wear caused low oil pressure to my rod bearing.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 · (Edited)
No, lighter wallets.....

Pay attention to the #4 main bearing. Pretty sure main bearing wear caused low oil pressure to my rod bearing.
This was caused by running in Lift with no oil. All the bearings are being replaced, and I'm hoping that the races aren't worn out. Plastiguage is on the way to confirm.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts