NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently jus got my alpine dva-5205 installed. However, it only seems to be able to play normal cds and none of my self-made cd-rs will work. I was wondering exactly how are they encoded differently and is there some way to get around it?

Mike

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
A few things to consider:

1. Are you sure you are using CD-R's and NOT CD-RW's?

2. Ensure that you are burning an audio CD and not an MP3 data CD. Double check your settings.

3. My CD-R's play fine on my stock player. Do your CD-R's work fine in other players?

Just some stuff that came to mind, that's all...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure that i'm using CD-Rs, it seemed to work fine on the stock deck. I think it has to do with Alpine's hardware.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Yea I remember someone online at another car forum doing a test of different brand CD-R's because sometimes his Pioneer read it and sometimes it didn't. He tried like 10 different brands, from no-name store brands to Sony. And I remember him saying something like the color of the cd (the bottom foil) makes a difference and sometimes if it has a label on it it makes a difference too (having one makes it work). I'm not sure if it's any help, but you might wanna go out and buy couple different brand CD-Rs.

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
In my experience.... some brand CD-Rs plays on some deck some don't.. you just have to find the right brand..
Friend bought some panasonic deck.... and it won't play some brands.. but it plays find with PNY brand... which is really cheap one.... :D LOL

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
heres my experience with the stock deck:

old TDK 650MB/74min - blue bottom - works all the time
old Memorex hi-capacity 700/80 - silver-green bottom - works all the time
newer TDK 700/80min - works most of the time, but has times where they dont play at all
newer Memorex 700/80min - works most of the time, not as well as the newer TDK though
GQ (great quality) brand Digital Audio CDR - works 99% of the time*

* - these only seem to work when burned from wave files as the source (i convert mp3 to wave), and burned with CDRWin or RecordNow MAX. if i use CloneCD to make a copy of a CD, it wont play as well.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are there any significant differences btwn the color of the bottoms?

Mike

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
My experience has been - Alpine doesn't mesh well with CD-Rs... I have had two different Alpine Decks that simply would not read a CD-R (any brand that I could find anyway) at any burnspeed. Just thought I would throw in my .02

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hmm..interesting. I wonder whats preventing CD-Rs from being read on the Alpine units..

Mike

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I have the same deck. Just stop what you are doing cuz the 5205 doesnt read CD-R's. I talked to Alpine directly when I first got it and it wasnt built to read any recordable disc. The description of the thing says, its not CD-R(W) compatible. I guess I should have looked into it more before I bought it. Thats why i got a changer. They read everything. Ands its only one wire Ai-net hook up.

·
Work Done, Sexy Time.
2,835 Posts
If you want a CD-R that works in everything from Playstations to the notoriously picky Xbox to most likely any headunit you want the Memorex Black surface 80min CD-Rs. They are Black and Gold on the front and come in 10 or 50 packs.

I'd bet good money that these would beat the Alpine 5205.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gayness..I just purchased some Maxwell Pro edition CDs..hopin that it might work. No luck =\ Has anyone actually had any experience with the black surface CDs that T3HKMAN is talkin 'bout?

Mike

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
yea acually all i use is black CDs and TDK blanks, acutally my ENITRE 800 CD;s are BURNED!.....i know my CD-r's, i have used all of em,,,the black ones and the TDK discs are the best as far as readabilty and resistence to scratching, rightnow all i have been using is TDK's, no probs at all, i have the Sony deck with the motorized tray, i hated the deck at first but now, truthfully, it ahsnt given me any probs, i forget the model number but its a decent deck for 500 bucks, plays EVERY SINGLE CD-r i have every used plus MP3s, so i dunno...peace

·
Registered
493 Posts
Well, the problem you are facing its not uncommon..my Sony DVD player wont play CD-Rs.. they say it in the user's manual...it was a gift from my girlfriend and i kept it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts