NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Lift kicked in yo
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So basically my thoughts on this -------> :wtf2:

I did a normal oil change on the car the other day. I've been using Mobil 1 full synthetic since I got the car 2 years ago. Usually use Bosch or Mobil 1 filters as well. Never had any issues with a light before until now.

Filled the engine with about 4.5 qts so I could measure the dipstick and top it off after running it for 2 minutes (i know the car takes almost 5 quarts). Upon initial startup, I heard a very strange noise. Sounded like a bad spark, or almost like some metal scraping/grinding, but I can't be sure as it was very brief, and a bit tough to describe. Just wasn't a normal sounding startup. It started up and idled fine (no funny noises) but the CEL was on, and has stayed on since. I am going to have the code read today, but I have no idea what could have caused the CEL. Truthfully, I'm a bit worried.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Or personal experience with something similar happening?

Hoping it's just a vacuum leak, or something cheap and fixable.:/:

·
Lift kicked in yo
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
need that code first
Funny how this worked out. Was literally on my way to Auto Zone to get the code read, when the CEL went off. So I went in anyways and had the stored code read and cleared. It was for an engine misfire (i'm assuming because the oil hadn't been changed since last year before I stored the car basically without starting it for 6 months). Once I put the new oil in, the computer probably flipped a shit and threw a light because it was like "ERMAGERD NEW OIL WTF"

That being said, I should probably get my injectors cleaned sometime soon. This is the 2nd time an engine misfire code has popped up when the engine is not actually misfiring.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Details... If the car was in storage for six months, the gas might have varnished up an injector briefly causing the misfire. Or you had a crappy electrical connection that vibrated itself back to life when running.
I don't think the oil change had anything to do with the CEL.
My 2 cents. Drive on. :)

·
Lift kicked in yo
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Details... If the car was in storage for six months, the gas might have varnished up an injector briefly causing the misfire. Or you had a crappy electrical connection that vibrated itself back to life when running.
I don't think the oil change had anything to do with the CEL.
My 2 cents. Drive on. :)
Hah, yeah I've been wanting to get the injectors cleaned for a while now. Ever since I learned of the initial misfire code, really. I don't think it had anything to do with the connection, but who knows.

it wont unless you are burning a crap load. Its possible that some oil seeped into the cylinder from sitting so long. then when you started it, the oil burned.

but if the CEL went out on its own...
It is possible that happened, but I don't think it did. The car was back on the road in April, so I've been driving it for over a month already with no issues. Most likely scenario is a fouled up injector. Either way, the light is out now and the car is running well :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.