NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
What mods do you have on your car? Aftermarket intakes have a tendency to cause this. If your car is stock, then it could be a dirty MAFS. The car is running rich because the ECU detected it was originally running dangerously lean, so it went into safe mode which runs richer than normal.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
i also have the same problem. I replaced the MAF w/ a new one and the CEL still comes on. I never had a CEL for 2 yrs. It came on after I got my car back from the shop.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've seen the pics, and I've done a search but I still don't know where it is. I thought it was in that box, but my ECU was in it. I have an injen CAI and does anyone have pics on where the MAF is?

mark

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
aZnTrD2k said:
its that block square attached on the intake tube with 2 screws, about a coulpe inches away from the throttle body.
Right. And the little probe that stick out is the temperature probe, so don't confuse it with the MAF sensor itself. Clean it gently though.

The MAF sensor is inside of the box, and if you look in, you will see some platinum wires. That's it.

Just spray a cleaner safe for MAF sensors into there to dislodge any dirt and hold it upside down so that it drains out.

I used non-chlorinated brake cleaner becaues it squirts out with a higher pressure than most sprays, and it dries very quickly and doesn't leave any residue.

Also, in addition to cleaning your MAF sensor, you may want to replace your air filter if you havn't in a while.

But regardless of what you do, make sure you reset the ECU while doing so.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
i replaced my sensor and got a new air filter. That damn CEL light still comes on. Its pissing me off. I failed the smog check twice. My car is due back in May:sadpace:

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
aZnTrD2k said:
i replaced my sensor and got a new air filter. That damn CEL light still comes on. Its pissing me off. I failed the smog check twice. My car is due back in May:sadpace:
Take a couple of pictures of your setup under your hood and post them here. Perhaps a couple of people could spot any errors in your hook-up?

Also, what CEL code did you get?

Could be a bad O2 sensor, or anything for that matter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts