NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I went to pass some one and the car dropped into passing gear and the engine reved and didn't accelerate. :scared: Well I tried again and the samething happened but it accelerated after the "bogging". When I got on my road I tried it again and this time it accelerated fine. Does anyone have any kind of idea what it would be? (auto tranny)

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket intake? You may be experiencing heatsoak. That or you have tranny problems.

What trim do you have GT or GTS?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^man fin crap. I have to get new O2 sensors soon. How much would a Torque converter cost me???? :hide:

I wounder if thats why when Im stopped at a light and it doesn't move like an auto does it kind sits there sometimes like its a manual. ( I new I should have kept on looking for a manual instead of getting an auto)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
techgeekwill said:
Do you have an aftermarket intake? You may be experiencing heatsoak. That or you have tranny problems.

What trim do you have GT or GTS?
No I put the stock box back on. I have a GT and Hopefully its not the tranny cause after I bought the car from the stealership the tranny crapped out so this one only has about 60K miles on it

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^at a stop its either a slow movement like really slow or none at all also on a hill the car will roll backwards as if the clutch is engaged. Man every time I get an auto the damn thing gets Fd.

·
Registered
903 Posts
yup that sounds like the tq converter. i would try to see what the stealership can do about it. if you got it recently, enough bitching should work

·
Registered
564 Posts
Check the fluid level first before you go rippin the tranny apart, Low fluid level will make it slip as well.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will have it checked just so many repairs to do now. I don't N-Bomb the auto thats just playing sucide with the tranny.

·
Registered
903 Posts
you can try some of those stuff like lucas additive. I think they help a little by keeping the pressure higher. how many miles is on the tranny?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The fluid level was a litle low so I added some. The celica has about 113,000 the tranny might have about 60,000

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So if everyone agress by my symptoms that its the TC then I will get it. I just got the money for install an part.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you're handy, try to service it yourself.
My auto GT-s was doing that same mess, bogging down really hard. Last weekend I dropped the trans pan, and even though the fluid was nice bright red, it was almost thick, very weird. And there are magnets in the pan that grab metal particles, and they were LOADED (I'm not stoked about that). So I put on a new transmission filter (which the dealer will tell you is not needed, but it reaally is) and 4 fresh quarts of Type T from the stealership, and man, Its like a brand new whip. No converter slip, she locks up when I stomp on it. Best thing I've done yet. I'll be posting pics and a full writeup very soon.

I got my OEM filter and new OEM pan gasket from partznet.com. 53 for the filter and 14 for the gasket, 37 for 5 quarts of fluid. So my transmission is running like new for 100 bucks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sounds like tranny slipping or torque converter both usually is smart to do a rebuild. A dirty valvebody can screw up torque converter lock up and disengaging. If you flush the tranny and it still does the same deal I recomend an overhaul.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts