NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello i have a celica 2002 and i have a problem,when iam on gear and put car on free the rev counter goes quickly to idle than up about 1200rpm and back to idle
i clean TB idle valve. filter valve but still with problem anyone can help me cause i dont know what can i do more
Thank you

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,923 Posts
Or it is wildly idle hunting. Sometimes shutting off & restarting will clear it. Not a good thing to do if you're moving though. Next option is to pull the EFI fuse or disconnect the battery to reset the ECU.

I've had this issue before & the ECU gets into this funky rapid up/down idle for some reason. But, I haven't had it happen in a long time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Or it is wildly idle hunting. Sometimes shutting off & restarting will clear it. Not a good thing to do if you're moving though. Next option is to pull the EFI fuse or disconnect the battery to reset the ECU.

I've had this issue before & the ECU gets into this funky rapid up/down idle for some reason. But, I haven't had it happen in a long time.
i disconnected the batteryfor 1 day cause i was working but not the fuse does make the diference if i try?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
15,923 Posts
Thanks for the vid. That isn't the wild idle hunting that I described. ☺

If this is a manual trans, it may not be that unusual. Because of the inertia of the flywheel, it can have a tendency to pop up when you depress the clutch. Although, this appears to drop to idle & then back up.

If this happened after disconnecting the battery earlier, it just may be going through the relearning/remapping process. Which I understand that you did. {No need to pull the fuse.} If so, it will diminish with time until a significant temperature change.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the vid. That isn't the wild idle hunting that I described. ☺

If this is a manual trans, it may not be that unusual. Because of the inertia of the flywheel, it can have a tendency to pop up when you depress the clutch. Although, this appears to drop to idle & then back up.

If this happened after disconnecting the battery earlier, it just may be going through the relearning/remapping process. Which I understand that you did. {No need to pull the fuse.} If so, it will diminish with time until a significant temperature change.
one more thing at the begining of all this i had a idle of 1500rpm so i set the idle screw to 800

·
15,923 Posts
Eh, that may be part of the issue. That is not an idle adjustment. It sets the throttle stop and, by default, the IACV duty cycle.

Basically, back off the screw till it no longer makes contact, then tighten back up till it just makes contact, then add a 1/2 turn and lock it down with the nut.

Idle is all controlled by the IACV.

·
15,923 Posts
Yes, reset the screw. That procedure is from Lotus & isn't in the service manual. There is a copy of the manual on the forum. But, I can send you a link for a better searchable version when I get a chance.

·
15,923 Posts
Expect it to bounce again a bit after adjusting the screw.

·
15,923 Posts
Hopefully. Lol. Most things relearn by the end of a full tank.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts