NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys!

tl;dr at the end. Mod please move thread if it's in the wrong subforum

So I've been toying with the idea of swapping out my now dated and degrading auto GTS wheel for something a little nicer. I've always been a big fan of adding a bit of luxury feel to our cars to compliment the sort of squashed-up Lamborghini look and steer away from the ricer mods (pun intended).

Now, this idea crossed my mind when I was looking at initially installing the Works Bell aftermarket paddle shifters (there's a couple of write ups on here). The downside to this was I'd need any 6 bolt aftermarket steering wheel. Well I didn't wanna do that for a few reasons, namely I want to keep my airbag and I'm really not a fan of the barebones look.

So instead of splicing a MOMO bracket in place of the OEM wheel bracket (which I'm still open to tbh) as I'm concerned about the OEM depth adding distance between my fingers and the paddles, I thought why not make like many others and find a compatible wheel with all those goodies

Seeing as its more than possible to wire up universal paddle shifters to function in place of the steering wheel buttons, one would think this would work with paddles from other wheels (it's all just wires after all). In addition to this, the twins also seem to use the same or similar solution for cruise control.

So in an ideal world, the only concern would be if the steering wheel mates up correctly right? Well that's what I'd like to find out. I wish i had the two spare wheels in front of me to dissect but I don't

Here's some images for comparison:

Has anyone torn these down before? I've seen some MR2 guys take wheels from a Lexus IS300 and I've seen guys splice other wheel's airbags in. I'm also hoping to utilize the steering wheel controls with a universal Android DIN (big maybe).

Finally, I realise there may be differences in current for different airbags to deploy. These are the questions I'm asking

tl;dr: Will an 86/FR-S/BRZ steering wheel mate up to the Celica column and will the Airbag, Cruise control and Paddle shifter wiring be workable to function? If not, are there any known compatible wheels with these features?

Cheers

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's some wheel removal write-ups that provide a good look at the wires and plugs. I don't know much about the differences in connectors or if they're interchangeable/splicable so I'm hoping someone here more knowledgeable than me can shed some light on this

Unfortunately neither of these use wheels with controls or shifters so I still haven't gotten a look at those connectors

Celica wheel removal:
https://lowincometuner.wordpress.com/2013/05/20/momo-steering-wheel-hub-install/

Twin wheel removal:
https://howtune.com/articles/350-remove-the-steering-wheel-on-a-scion-fr-s-subaru-brz-gt-86

Twin Airbag Removal:
https://howtune.com/articles/349-remove-the-air-bag-on-a-scion-frs-subaru-brz-or-gt86

Thanks again. I appreciate any help

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found a nice write up of a dude that fitted IS250 paddles into his other IS. Same wheel as ours and so seems to have the same connectors at the column:

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=527234

Some nice wiring info that I hope to use towards the 86 wheel swap, but if it ever falls through I feel like this would look nice on just a new OEM wheel with a set of these extenders

·
Registered
267 Posts
Found a nice write up of a dude that fitted IS250 paddles into his other IS. Same wheel as ours and so seems to have the same connectors at the column:

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=527234

Some nice wiring info that I hope to use towards the 86 wheel swap, but if it ever falls through I feel like this would look nice on just a new OEM wheel with a set of these extenders

I guess you'll be the Guinea pig

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another step closer!

It seems a guy has already moved an 86 wheel to his IS300 which again seems to have pretty much the same column connectors as our Celica.

To my surprise, it also seems like the airbag igniter can be transferred from the old wheel to the 86 wheel, which makes that part pretty much plug and play.

The result:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyXeliwfc7o

The "How to"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7MO6j0bi7c

The second "How to" video briefly goes over what pins from the 86 connector go where on the IS. There's apparently an open slot for the steering wheel controls pin but i'm not sure how much of that can actually be utilised so I'll be looking into that last

So far it looks like the cruise control, paddle shifter and horn can all be made to work with the IS300. Hopefully this proves the same with the Celica

·
Registered
267 Posts
Another step closer!

It seems a guy has already moved an 86 wheel to his IS300 which again seems to have pretty much the same column connectors as our Celica.

To my surprise, it also seems like the airbag igniter can be transferred from the old wheel to the 86 wheel, which makes that part pretty much plug and play.

The result:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyXeliwfc7o

The "How to"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7MO6j0bi7c

The second "How to" video briefly goes over what pins from the 86 connector go where on the IS. There's apparently an open slot for the steering wheel controls pin but i'm not sure how much of that can actually be utilised so I'll be looking into that last

So far it looks like the cruise control, paddle shifter and horn can all be made to work with the IS300. Hopefully this proves the same with the Celica
As soon as you do this, I'll be doing it myself

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Just an update on the brainstorming front

It looks like everything should work nicely except the radio controls. They SHOULD work fine if you're in a manual Celica or a GT though. Here is why

So the clock spring in our Celica only has 5 or 6 pins (I can't tell very well if that is a 6th pin in the photo). Now between the Cruise control, up-shift, down-shift and horn, we need a minimum of 5 wires/pins

Here's an image of the clock spring (model no. 84306-32030)

Now, I'm not sure on the exact order of pins, but our 5 should go something like this

Pin 1: Up-Shift
Pin 2: Down-Shift
Pin 3: Ground
Pin 4: Cruise Control
Pin 5: Horn

Unfortunately, I'm 90% sure the controls on the 2017 FR-S/86/BRZ wheel utilities at least 2 pins on their own. So, technically we COULD get them to work through 2 avenues:

Option 1: Find a clock spring that supports more pins that fits (this is straight out trial and error) or modify one to fit. This would obviously entail repining a bigger connector on the column-side wiring and running the 2 extra wires from here to behind the head unit.

Option 2: Modify the clock spring to support the extra wires/pins. You could probably do this quite crudely, i.e. drill some small holes in and out of the clock spring and coil 12ft of wire inside.

If however, you're the owner of a manual Celica or a GT, you could get this to work by utilising the two pins you have spare from not using paddle shifters

If you manage this, you would need to tap these wires into the following product, or similar, behind the head unit:

https://axxessinterfaces.com/product/ASWC-1?category=AX-RSWC&Year=2017&Make=Subaru&Model=BRZ&TrimOption[0]=Standard+Audio

This will translate the signals from the controls to whatever universal head unit you are using.

Finally, here are two wheels I'm looking at for this project. One with controls and one without. Both these wheels come with or without paddle shifters

Without controls (Pre 2017) (the black one :smoke:):
http://www.86worx.com/real-carbon-fiber-3c-steering-wheel.html?___SID=U

With Controls (2017+) (also the black one):
http://www.86worx.com/real-original-carbon-steering-wheel-kouki.html

All you would need after that is a pre or post 2017 air bag

I noticed the 2017 BRZ has more buttons than the 2017 86/FR-S. If you really want those extra controls (some might say they're the important ones), you could try to find the BRZ wheel but I honestly couldn't find a new OEM or used one anywhere. The site I listed here are aftermarket and, in my opinion, nicer

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just an update on the brainstorming front

It looks like everything should work nicely except the radio controls. They SHOULD work fine if you're in a manual Celica or a GT though. Here is why

So the clock spring in our Celica only has 5 or 6 pins (I can't tell very well if that is a 6th pin in the photo). Now between the Cruise control, up-shift, down-shift and horn, we need a minimum of 5 wires/pins

Here's an image of the clock spring (model no. 84306-32030)

Now, I'm not sure on the exact order of pins, but our 5 should go something like this

Pin 1: Up-Shift
Pin 2: Down-Shift
Pin 3: Ground
Pin 4: Cruise Control
Pin 5: Horn

Unfortunately, I'm 90% sure the controls on the 2017 FR-S/86/BRZ wheel utilities at least 2 pins on their own. So, technically we COULD get them to work through 2 avenues:

Option 1: Find a clock spring that supports more pins that fits (this is straight out trial and error) or modify one to fit. This would obviously entail repining a bigger connector on the column-side wiring and running the 2 extra wires from here to behind the head unit.

Option 2: Modify the clock spring to support the extra wires/pins. You could probably do this quite crudely, i.e. drill some small holes in and out of the clock spring and coil 12ft of wire inside.

If however, you're the owner of a manual Celica or a GT, you could get this to work by utilising the two pins you have spare from not using paddle shifters

If you manage this, you would need to tap these wires into the following product, or similar, behind the head unit:

https://axxessinterfaces.com/product/ASWC-1?category=AX-RSWC&Year=2017&Make=Subaru&Model=BRZ&TrimOption[0]=Standard+Audio

This will translate the signals from the controls to whatever universal head unit you are using.

Finally, here are two wheels I'm looking at for this project. One with controls and one without. Both these wheels come with or without paddle shifters

Without controls (Pre 2017) (the black one :smoke:):
http://www.86worx.com/real-carbon-fiber-3c-steering-wheel.html?___SID=U

With Controls (2017+) (also the black one):
http://www.86worx.com/real-original-carbon-steering-wheel-kouki.html

All you would need after that is a pre or post 2017 air bag

I noticed the 2017 BRZ has more buttons than the 2017 86/FR-S. If you really want those extra controls (some might say they're the important ones), you could try to find the BRZ wheel but I honestly couldn't find a new OEM or used one anywhere. The site I listed here are aftermarket and, in my opinion, nicer
I have a manual GTS, (So no paddle shifters) How would you recommend I go about swapping over the steering wheel? I dont wanna dump about $200 on a steering wheel and airbag that won't fit / work.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'll try and make a sort of write-up as best I can without having anything in front of me

Before I begin though I will say that I take no responsibility if things don't go the way we speculate. This is definitely some unknown territory.

We'll start at the top, with the removal of the Celica wheel.

In the image above, we can see this guy is using a 19mm socket for the center nut. I'm pointing this out as the guide this image was taken from, mistakenly states that its a 21mm so don't get confused. its 19mm. From the video I posted of the transplant into an IS, that guy also states it uses a 19mm nut. So from this, we know the 86 wheel will fit. HOWEVER, in that same video at 3:38, he mentions very briefly that he had to trim the wheel a bit to get it to clear the clock spring connector but I imagine this was extremely minor. He also said he had to extend the horn wire

In the same image, we can see the white connector plugged into the clock spring (next to the yellow airbag connector). We can see that there are 3 wires and some unused slots in that connector. The present pins are used for the HORN, CRUISE CONTROL and GROUND. On a paddle shift model, you would see two more sockets taken up by the UP-SHIFT and DOWN-SHIFT pins, with two wires in each pin due to there being buttons for both up and down on both sides of the wheel.

Now, it's worth noting here that while looking at clock springs on the internet, I noticed there are some for our cars that only come with the pins we need, and not the few extra. Sometimes as little as 2 pins (I guess for the non cruise control, non paddle shift model wheels). like the TRD wheel for instance, I imagine it would only have horn and ground wires. Thankfully you can just buy a clock spring with all the pins like the one I pictured in my last post. You won't know if you need to do that until you take at peak behind your airbag

So in essence, All you would need to do for this to work is:

1: Find out what wires are coming from the horn, cruise control and ground on your shiny new 86 steering wheel (and the paddle shifters if you're using them)

2: Label them

3: Cut off the connectors on both wheels (we're going to use the Celica wheel's connector in the 86 wheel)

4: Pin or splice the wires in the corresponding connector slots and plug it in

The only other thing you would need to do, is take the airbag igniter from the Celica airbag and put it in the 86 airbag. You need to do this because the 86 igniter uses 2 connectors that are different to the Celica's single connector.

Now at this point, if you're not attempting to use the radio controls. you should be DONE :whoa:

The next part of the write up involves getting the radio controls to work (or attempting to)

On to the next image:

At the bottom of this image we see an unplugged, black connector. This is what plugs into the bottom of the clock spring, to take the previously mentioned connections from the steering wheel, to wherever they need to go. The following video will help explain what is inside the clock spring so that you can more easily understand what is happening here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=862izi6XChI

So with that knowledge, the black connector's pins, should directly correlate to to the white connector's pins inside the wheel. Now it looks like there are more wires coming out the black connector than there are going in to the white one, which leads me to believe there are some unused wires that would normally account for all the white pins being utilised. Again, I'm not 100% on this as i haven't messed around with it personally yet

So in theory, what you'd ultimately need to do, is simply run the 86 wheel's radio control wires to the pins that are unused on the white connector(you'd need to pin them yourself). Then run wires from the corresponding pin slots on the black connector, to behind the head unit for later use (either by pinning new wires or splicing from existing ones).

That's now most of the wiring done. At this point, you're done messing with the steering wheel side of things.

The next step would be getting the controls to talk to your universal DIN. I found this product from Axxess that should enable us to do just that. This is a product that can be used in a real FR-S/86/BRZ to get the wheel talking to an after market head unit. This video very easily explains what you'd need to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_608022903&feature=iv&src_vid=vw5jTyr1qV8&v=N6p1E-epE80

You obviously wouldn't need to find a connector back there to tap any wires from as we've run the only wires we need straight from the wheel.

The video mentions that you can find what wires certain vehicles use straight from the Axxess website. This is how I learned that the 2017 BRZ wheel controls use at least 2 wires. Here is the AXXESS documentation for the 17 BRZ:

https://metradealer.com/files/aswc/ASWC-1_INST_959.pdf

The first two steps are talking about the power and ground wires just to run the Axxess product. Steps 3 and 4 are the two steering wheel control wires. Step 5 is talking about another secondary ground wire, but you can just run one from the same ground wire mentioned in step one

And that should be it! Assuming there is nothing else in between the steering wheel and the head unit on an actual BRZ, the buttons should now just work!

Hopefully now, what I mentioned in my previous post is more clear. If you have a wheel that is already using all the pins, you would need to add extra wiring inside the clock spring somehow for the radio controls.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I eventually will. I'm undecided yet if I want to attempt to modify the clock spring to get some radio controls going or not. There might be a way to bypass it without getting the wires all tangled up

My car is having some work done to it at the moment but once I get it back, I'll be swapping in a HVAC unit i got from a euro-spec Celica. Might do this at the same time

If I come up with anything new, i'll post it here

It's worth noting that this procedure isn't exactly limited to an 86 wheel. You could technically do this with any wheel that mates up. You might even find one that uses less pins for the controls

·
#GetTheCoolShoeshine
1,239 Posts
I have/had both cars. Only the +2017 86/brz have radio control on the steering wheel.

I have an auto gts in the garage and an extra brz steering wheel(no paddle shifters). I could try to see if they match. But on thing is for sure, airbag plugs and clock spring are different, you could technically cut-solder or repin the wires but that wont be safe.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have/had both cars. Only the +2017 86/brz have radio control on the steering wheel.

I have an auto gts in the garage and an extra brz steering wheel(no paddle shifters). I could try to see if they match. But on thing is for sure, airbag plugs and clock spring are different, you could technically cut-solder or repin the wires but that wont be safe.
Try it out for us!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the HVAC blower & servos for right hand market for scrap. I also develop a patch harness for the fan upgrade, defog, A/C, recirculate, ext temp.

I don't bother wiring for the mode, temp or auto, (lots of wiring) as the levers and blower assembly is hard to get here, not to mention my pocket book..

Set and forget, cables will work!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

Thanks for the response man!

Just to clarify though, my write-up involved keeping the Celica clock spring and airbag igniter.

To see what I mean by the airbag, check out this video at 2:36

https://youtu.be/l7MO6j0bi7c

The only modifications I'm thinking of making to the Celica's clock spring involve adding an extra wire or two in there somehow. I'm definitely not thinking of even touching the airbag pins or wires.

The two after market wheels I linked included one pre 2017 (without controls) and one post 2017 (with controls). Which one I would choose depends on if I can add the extra wires in the clock spring. If I had a manual Celica I'd go straight for the 2017 wheel

Let us know how you go if you ever feel like playing with yours!

Sent from my HTC 2PZC100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have the HVAC blower & servos for right hand market for scrap. I also develop a patch harness for the fan upgrade, defog, A/C, recirculate, ext temp.

I don't bother wiring for the mode, temp or auto, (lots of wiring) as the levers and blower assembly is hard to get here, not to mention my pocket book..

Set and forget, cables will work!
I'll be installing my HVAC soon. My Celica is also a right hand model. I've never heard of the fan upgrade harness though. I might be in contact with you soon!

Sent from my HTC 2PZC100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
430 Posts
I am subscribed and exceptionally interested in this project.

I've researched the Works/Bell option as well but I had the same concerns about deleting the airbag. I also always thought about swapping a wheel from another car with oem paddle shifters but I just never got around to it. I'm super excited to see someone attempting to do it.

One thought I had was how similar the 2 airbags systems are? This could be a dumb question and I'm no airbag engineer but I assume being from totally different cars, with different shaped cabins may make the 86 oem airbag system way less functional or in the worst case even more dangerous in the event of deployment in the celica.. Like I said, could be a dumb question but I would do this swap in a second we could guarantee nominal function of the airbag post swap.

I'm definitely keeping my eye on this one!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I am subscribed and exceptionally interested in this project.

I've researched the Works/Bell option as well but I had the same concerns about deleting the airbag. I also always thought about swapping a wheel from another car with oem paddle shifters but I just never got around to it. I'm super excited to see someone attempting to do it.

One thought I had was how similar the 2 airbags systems are? This could be a dumb question and I'm no airbag engineer but I assume being from totally different cars, with different shaped cabins may make the 86 oem airbag system way less functional or in the worst case even more dangerous in the event of deployment in the celica.. Like I said, could be a dumb question but I would do this swap in a second we could guarantee nominal function of the airbag post swap.

I'm definitely keeping my eye on this one!
Hey mate. So this project involves retaining the celica airbag and igniter and just placing it in the airbig slot of the new wheel so everything should be sweet.

As a general follow up, the last of my parts were sent last week by Boosted 2.0 from DD Performance Research so I should have my car back up and running within the next few months to give this project life, so stay tuned for that

1 - 20 of 21 Posts