NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

Okay so this has been long awaited, but still no steps to do so. I will be taking it upon myself to document all the steps I take to make a 2zz awd using mostly bolt on parts. So far I have sourced a few parts in order to get this to work for a fair price. My plan was to source everything from a RX300 since same wheelbase and the Celica seems to have the same mounting locations. The only difference is the way the rear is setup there is no leaf spring. After spending two days at the junkyard getting my parts I learned the transfer case was destroyed inside. That was a waste of time. on the upside I got a small diff that should bolt into the celica with minimal mounting and I am sure no cutting.

The parts I have sourced so far:
1999 Lexus Rx300:
- Rear axles
- Front axles
- Rear differential
- Drive shaft​
Total cost = $167

My plan is to get the remaining parts and still keep the cost low. I would also like to keep it simple so more people will be able to do the conversion.

The plan right now is to source a 153 transmission with a transfer case or better yet a 154f which I hear some Rav4s have. After I get the new tranny I have a feeling the axles from the U140 will not work with the 153. I will be doing more research on this otherwise its back to the junkyard looking for parts

If anyone has anything to add please do,
But for now its off to the garage.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I am going to explain a little more of why I chose the Rx300 for the rear diff.
Looking at this post on another forum here

You can see from the images he posted it mounts almost exactly like the rx300 rear diff

There build

Rx300

So after seeing that it became clear to me that it would be easier to just drop the whole rear sub-frame at the junkyard and have it charged as a third member which keeps the cost low

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Mounting a diff is not hard. More issues are with the suspension etc. A Toyota matrix has everything you need to bolt on the back. It's AWD and Celica are the same chassis. It's literally a bolt on application. However I would not use the matrix rear diff with any power upgrades...

The only thing that has stopped me from doing this is the transmission. I cannot seem to find a transfer case that clears the 2ZZ block. The guy in Russia has but he is not sharing information.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is true, The easiest thing to do would be to just use the matrix, but here in WA you will not find a matrix. The price is also not very light on the pocket. The diff on the Rx is the same as in a sienna which has a lot of weight to move so I assume it is a little stronger. It should bolt on either way it seems there are the same mounts at this point I am looking at just replacing the hubs.

As for the transfer case. I've been trying to compare the transfer case in the sienna/rx300 Which both use a 1mz/3mz platform with not a lot of room. I have taken a look at both of them and it is fit in there tight. I haven't gotten my hands on a 154 transfer case, but looking at a highlander and rav4 Assuming they are similar in size they seem to be a little bit bigger than the sienna/rx. May need more information to confirm this

Edit:
I found a place that imports transmissions and engines. I will be seeing if they will let me compare both transfer cases they have in stock

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Taking a closer look today at the sienna, Rav4, and surprisingly a u140f transmission off a matrix awd. Comparing them all my theory was correct the Sienna/Rx transfer case is smaller.

Here I have a image comparison of them all

The original 154f tranny off a alltrack

As you can see it is a little large and the round bell part of it is what I assume makes it tough to mount to the 2zz although on the u140 the matrix tranny

The bell end seems to disappear it becomes squished and flat on that end for easy mounting on the 1zz matrix I suspect. Although comparing it to the rav4 transfer case from a 2001-2005 transfer case

They look like they would definitely bolt up and work no matter what.
Lastly we have the transfer case I can source very easily here. The sienna/Rx/highlander all of these use a v6 1mzfe,3mz. All of them before the 2gr switch ie, before 2006 they seem like the best bet for people with a 153 tranny

It is completely flat on one end making it in my opinion the best transfer case for this project. I will try to get a rav4 transfer case and figure out the in depth difference, From the research I have done right now It looks like if I want to have a e153 I will need the Rx transfer case, If I want something to bolt up to my c60 I will need to find the rav4 transfer case. The main difference is the axles one for 4cyl one for 6, c60 vs e153...

Will be back with more information

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Most car companies are like Legos. Toyota is actually tough compared to Audi

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The conversion would be more like Legos if I had the automatic version since there is a place to mount the transfer case on the c60,c59 there are no mounting holes. So only way to get it to mount is to source a new transmission. Which is the next step I am looking at pulling it from a 99 Camry v6... Very easy to find at my local junk yard

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Right now I'm looking for a way I can do a diy 153 swap so I can keep the cost low so everyone will be able to do the AWD conversion verily cheap, sure I could get the mwr but at a price of 5k it's about 27 times more than what I payed to get all the parts for a awd, right now the transmission is what is holding me back

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another update

Found this read although google translate makes it a little tough to read, Someone posted there process of mating a e series transmission using the rav4 transfer case then showing how the e154f from a all track is too big like I have stated earlier. If you want to take a look you can read it here

So it is possible just need either the e153 or apparently the E359F almost exact gear ratio but apparently according to Toyota it is full time awd unlike the 154f which apparently is only part time

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Finally getting some parts, Pulled a transfer case off a 99 rav4 the design of it is very interesting. It is a full time awd but the way it is built is pretty cool too me.

As you can see there is a small axle hollowed out to let the passenger side axle go through to the transmission, The hollowed one drives the rear differential. Still not everything I need it came off a auto trans so I am still looking for a manual that it will mate too, but looking at the sizes I have after looking at the transmission for the matrix they are almost identical, the rav4 is a little bit longer, but it wont be a problem.
You can take a look here

Matrix awd trans

So now after that I can tell you that I saved about $800 by getting the transfer case from a junk yard for $50. So let me explain a little of why I decided to not get a E153 and am trying to get a rav4 E250. First of all the early rav4 is based off a old corolla platform... The same platform as the matrix and celica. So I am guessing most of the parts will work. Now the reason I am trying to get the E250 (I'm not saying that this cant be done without the 153, in fact if you already have a e153 or a auto trans you can do this with just getting the parts I have listed along with a transfer case) The e250 on a first and second gen rav4 has a final drive of 4.9. why would that be interesting at all it is because of the extra torque. Adding two wheels to the back and having a full time AWD I need the torque to have enough power making it truly AWD. Although comparing it to a 154f from a all track the only difference is the first gear on the rav4 it is a little taller.

Next step get transmission

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
tfw links to pics died
Pics not working

:worthless:

Updated all the links, From what I can see it works now. Thanks for letting me know. Still sourcing a working trans, all the ones I can get around here are either in the wrong price range or broken. Will update the thread as soon as I get the trans... Better do it fast my c60 is going out fast.

Thanks,
Jake

·
Registered
29 Posts
following this thread.... so the 1zz autos can make the direct swap with no ECU mods??? Does the driveline fit jointly with the exhaust?? I've always wondered if I could swap the Matrix' awd driveline to mine, but I always thought it was bs and that people would stick the AWD logo to look cool, like BMW owners do with the M badge or the SI crowd... I wasn't ready to sprawl in some parking lot to look under a Matrix until now... maybe you'll answer these questions later. Still following your steps incase I do a GTS swap, or just buy a GTS. Thanks for taking the plunge for us.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
following this thread.... so the 1zz autos can make the direct swap with no ECU mods??? Does the drive line fit jointly with the exhaust?? I've always wondered if I could swap the Matrix' awd drive line to mine, but I always thought it was bs and that people would stick the AWD logo to look cool, like BMW owners do with the M badge or the SI crowd... I wasn't ready to sprawl in some parking lot to look under a Matrix until now... maybe you'll answer these questions later. Still following your steps in case I do a GTS swap, or just buy a GTS. Thanks for taking the plunge for us.

I am gonna have to take back what I said about the autos. Me being excited and jumping to conclusions didn't account for that the matrix u340 has a custom bell housing for it to bolt up. they are the same in every way except the way the awd mates up. Sorry about my false hope I was more focused on the manual I didn't check too deep into auto because in my opinion why would I want a 4 speed auto. So in order for a 1zz to make the swap they would need the trans from the matrix... If you want to know how to make it work someone did it with a vibe that link is here to my knowledge they wouldnt need to mod the ecu since they are the same trans in every way except the one little part where the transfer case hooks up. Now the transfer case doesn't have any wires going to it it is basically just a differential that bolts up to your transmission. the one I chose was a 50/50 lsd off a rav4. but there are different types. Still they are just a front differential you could bolt it up and the ecu wouldnt know or even want to know. Last thing is a custom exhaust will be needed. In my case I will be doing the full exhaust, but keep in mind the only problem with making the exhaust fit is the pipe that goes under the rear wheels to the muffler. It is possible to just cut that and mount a pipe that goes over. I will go more into detail later about what I will do.

One more thing I would like to note is that reading that 1zz vibe awd conversion is in GTS * Jason's topic on here no one wanted to cut into the block... Well they did it in that thread to make the transmission fit to the 1zz.

So in from looking at all of this the problem most people had which is

wouldnt be as scary to attempt to cut. Will keep everyone updated as the process goes on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It is not possible to fit the transmission of a celica gt4 st205 into 2zzge in any way? This transmission is perfect for its robustness and supports HP extras.

* I have studied for some time thanks in part to the people of fensport uk that there is a corolla only sold in japan (corolla runx X type) that uses 4wd with motor 1zz but only available in auto trans 4 speed, but this chassis fits its bridge Rear subframe and differential support in chassis of celica almost to perfection only making a small cut in floor of the trunk, apart the front engine bridge also adapts to perfection leaving more space for the transfer of the gearbox

·
Registered
32 Posts
this is the car.....

https://www.tradecarview.com/es/used_car/toyota/corolla+runx/20796508/

https://www.tradecarview.com/es/used_car/toyota/corolla+runx/21081437/

Everything is sure that if there are other models type of corolla in 4wd of these years they will share parts and they will serve, these in particular are 1.5 motor type but if there are 1.8 1zz what if I do not know and I think there is no possibility of 4wd with manual gearbox In these corolla. And if you look at the pictures of the low back links are identical to those of a celica, the fuel tank would also have to be exchanged since it leaves space for the cardan and the celica I think not.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts