NewCelica.org Forum banner

121 - 140 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
How are you travelling with this mate?

I'll be converting my auto at some point man and this will determine whether I go the e153 route or mod a c60

Hope you've been well after the year you've had

Sent from my HTC 2PZC100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Alright so a lot has been happening on my end. A lot of thinking about better ways to get this thing attached. I will touch more on that in this post, but first I would Like to talk a little about the welded diff and thank everyone for checking in to see how the progress is going.

in response to DatGTS00 going the e153 route would be easier as some models have the bolt pattern to accept the transfer case. So it would be easier, but more expensive.

I wanted to give the opportunity to give my research to people so we could possibly see more awd and rwd 7th gen celica.

So if you want to get it done faster get the e153 bolt on the rav4,lexus rx300, highlander transfer case as it looks like it will be the easiest to mount behind the 2zz. You have an auto so if you have a hold of a c60 it may possibly be cheaper, but harder to accomplish without all the study work done.

Still moving in to the house, I may have some extra time soon, So hopefully wont spend too much more on teasing everyone ;)

I wanted to talk to everyone about the welded diff though for a second, It didnt take long for the weld to brake. I didn't want it to be locked all the time I wanted it to be welded sort of like a shim. That didn't work. it was locked up for a week or so and boy did I love that instant response of the wheels cornering felt so much better (in my opinion) but after romping on it a little and some pulls it broke loose. There is still something that locks up the diff though, I cant seem to figure it out it isn't locked at low speeds, but when you try to do a burnout(yes a fwd burnout looks dumb) its completely locked up.

Which is amazingly awesome for this project

Sorry I didn't post earlier everything is getting lost recently.:marky:

:zzz:

so whats the plan Stan? well I think I should look further at that, I think I may want to look at the rear end for a little. I will need to get some new wheel hubs that will accept the axle's from the rx300, Which from what I have gathered is the same as the from hubs from the celica, rav4,highlander. Which I might consider an upgrade to the celica ones as they use old school cotter pins rather than the punch style lock.

After that I will mount the rear diff and axles. Wont be too hard as the diff already fits just needs something to bolt too, For the transfer case It will be mounted independently from the transmission there are many reasons for my choice on this, but I will need to find a way to keep in that gear oil, the best I can think of is using that old coupler and creating a cap, sure the axle running through it should hold in most of the oil I dont like the smell of gear oil.

Unfortunately the one thing that I am not 100% will work is the open diff I have... I'm tired of taking out the tranny... I'm afraid that the extra weight in the back will cause the driver side wheel to slip and not spin the other three. That would kind of defeat the point. I have a couple of different Ideas on that now, but that what is holding up the final build and rewrite of the build thread...

Wish me luck and thank you for checking in this will be made

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tbh, I was super excited when I had found GTS-Jason's thread, where he was planning to use e154F gear with the e153 kit from MWR

Unfortunately, we never did learn how everything could be notched to fit . If we did, I would have dropped the cash on it straight away. Everything seemed very smooth until that point

My engine is fully build with turbo plans in the future, so it would have been good to have e153 tranny strength, but I can easily get the upgraded helicals for the c60. My only gripe then would be the 6 speed ratios at that power level but what do you do? Unless there's something I'm missing?

I don't have the knownow to go notching blocks and transfer cases to fit, otherwise I would! I definitely have the disposable income though... Go figure

Had half a mind to go donating parts tbh haha. I would keep the celica for life if it was AWD so IMO donations for R&D would be worth it

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Tbh, I was super excited when I had found GTS-Jason's thread, where he was planning to use e154F gear with the e153 kit from MWR

Unfortunately, we never did learn how everything could be notched to fit . If we did, I would have dropped the cash on it straight away. Everything seemed very smooth until that point

My engine is fully build with turbo plans in the future, so it would have been good to have e153 tranny strength, but I can easily get the upgraded helicals for the c60. My only gripe then would be the 6 speed ratios at that power level but what do you do? Unless there's something I'm missing?

I don't have the knownow to go notching blocks and transfer cases to fit, otherwise I would! I definitely have the disposable income though... Go figure

Had half a mind to go donating parts tbh haha. I would keep the celica for life if it was AWD so IMO donations for R&D would be worth it

Gts-Jason is what inspired me to continue what could have happened. I originally wanted to buy a tc years ago and there was a post on how to make that rwd by using celica parts, Later when I fell in love with the celica I thought of the same thing, just didn't have the money to do it at the time. Now I have the money, just not the time.... Funny how that works.

Anyways... :drink: The 154f could work... if you got a smaller transfer case. looking at some e153's you can see a bolt cover

With having that you should be able to bolt on a transfer case... as long as it isnt one from a mr2 if I remember correctly.

Still doesnt change too much as you would still need a diff... although I hear there is a conversion for a rav4 and a rav4 f transmission would be able to use the same adapter plate it being one with a 3s engine

As for everyone else. I wonder if the exhaust manifold would be a problem... the 1zz is shorter and not as big

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Alright.... so I've been thinking... Yes I know you smelt something awful recently. I just thought I should let you know....

Side note I'm going to try to make the Celica RWD this weekend...

Okay so that isnt a side note it's the reason for the post, but I thought with this post getting up to over 100+ posts and nothing really getting done, just the gowned work its time to finally get some Sh*t done :1/10:

Let me explain what I will be doing and why. I'm sure everyone reading is probably asking why RWD? Must be a typo. Nope I will be working from the ground up. Make sense? we really need to figure how to send power to the rear end with what we have... I think it is more possible than what many would think.

Lets explain. First off how will we attach the transfer case. To be honest I will need to get 3 feet of flat iron not too much at lowes or home depot, although I would recommend getting it at a metal yard. (I will touch more on this in a bit)
I do best with images... So here we go!

You can notice one end is flat with 4 bolt holes to hold it to the differential. Lets just take a moment to think how that could be useful. So as far as thinking how to make a car RWD instead of making a full blown AWD right off the bat makes it alot less stressful and a little easier to handle. The reason I bring up that picture and how it is a plate on the end of an axle is because most of the Celicas are open diff. If you have a lsd I envy you... I will find one. Anyways How do we open diff members get 100% power to the transfer case. I got this idea when I was trying to figure out how to drive power to all wheels. It may sound hard or stupid, but it is perfectly fine.

I am sure almost all of us have been stuck in the mud/snow and we get just the one wheel spinning and the other stationary not moving or trying.

If you dont... Lucky you Look at this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5mfcSwomfY

So for an open diff is we can lock one axle the other will be the only thing getting power. Make sense why I brought up the picture of the flat bolt plate on an axle? No? well if we can bolt the axle to the chassis or something to keep it from spinning we can effectively send power to the other shaft. I know crazy scientist over here, but would you want to take a step in the right direction or keep searching. (To you people who doubt check the video and ask yourself if you really want this to work or just stick with the *wrong wheel drive*)

So... :drink::drink: it will get crazier as I post more, but let me lay out my plan that i'm about 75% sure will work. I have checked and both the splines on the rx300,rav4,highlander have the same amount of splines and fit in the Celica hubs. So I am thinking if I move the front hubs to the back and the back to the front I will have two dummy wheels in the front now and ability to attach the diff and axles in the rear.

YAY :love:

To keep this easy and because I am pretty sure this will work....
At this point it you have a lowered celica... I dont think this will work for you as I fear the drive shaft might be too low. More on this when it is actually built this is just me thinking right now.

Mods list?

Rx300,Highlander, 2001–2010 RAV4... Well anything with a u140f transmission.

You will need:

Transfer case
Rear differential
Rear axles
Three part drive shaft(Its important that its three parts to help maneuver around the gas tank)
Front Axles (optional)
Time

Pretty straight forward, you could use your stock front axles instead of the the others, but... there will be some cutting and welding so... best to have a extra set.

Going over my master plan in my head before the work commences...

1. Cut driver side axle
2. Weld flat plate onto axle
3. Drill 2 hole into passenger axle and intermediate shaft (Maybe)
4. Weld intermediate shaft to passenger axle to drive the transfer case (May just trust the bolt thing as I am not 100% sure this would be any benefit)
5. Use flat iron to mount the transfer case to block and make flat mount for the driver side axle.
6. Weld brackets to hold up rear diff
7. Move front wheel hubs to rear, and rear hubs to front.
8. Attach rear axles
9. Attach drive shaft.
10. Cross my fingers and hope it isn't a complete pipe dream as I see if it works

You guys can let me know what you think, but come tomorrow morning I will be trying to get S**t done

·
Registered
267 Posts
Alright.... so I've been thinking... Yes I know you smelt something awful recently. I just thought I should let you know....

Side note I'm going to try to make the Celica RWD this weekend...

Okay so that isnt a side note it's the reason for the post, but I thought with this post getting up to over 100+ posts and nothing really getting done, just the gowned work its time to finally get some Sh*t done :1/10:

Let me explain what I will be doing and why. I'm sure everyone reading is probably asking why RWD? Must be a typo. Nope I will be working from the ground up. Make sense? we really need to figure how to send power to the rear end with what we have... I think it is more possible than what many would think.

Lets explain. First off how will we attach the transfer case. To be honest I will need to get 3 feet of flat iron not too much at lowes or home depot, although I would recommend getting it at a metal yard. (I will touch more on this in a bit)
I do best with images... So here we go!

You can notice one end is flat with 4 bolt holes to hold it to the differential. Lets just take a moment to think how that could be useful. So as far as thinking how to make a car RWD instead of making a full blown AWD right off the bat makes it alot less stressful and a little easier to handle. The reason I bring up that picture and how it is a plate on the end of an axle is because most of the Celicas are open diff. If you have a lsd I envy you... I will find one. Anyways How do we open diff members get 100% power to the transfer case. I got this idea when I was trying to figure out how to drive power to all wheels. It may sound hard or stupid, but it is perfectly fine.

I am sure almost all of us have been stuck in the mud/snow and we get just the one wheel spinning and the other stationary not moving or trying.

If you dont... Lucky you Look at this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5mfcSwomfY

So for an open diff is we can lock one axle the other will be the only thing getting power. Make sense why I brought up the picture of the flat bolt plate on an axle? No? well if we can bolt the axle to the chassis or something to keep it from spinning we can effectively send power to the other shaft. I know crazy scientist over here, but would you want to take a step in the right direction or keep searching. (To you people who doubt check the video and ask yourself if you really want this to work or just stick with the *wrong wheel drive*)

So... :drink::drink: it will get crazier as I post more, but let me lay out my plan that i'm about 75% sure will work. I have checked and both the splines on the rx300,rav4,highlander have the same amount of splines and fit in the Celica hubs. So I am thinking if I move the front hubs to the back and the back to the front I will have two dummy wheels in the front now and ability to attach the diff and axles in the rear.

YAY :love:

To keep this easy and because I am pretty sure this will work....
At this point it you have a lowered celica... I dont think this will work for you as I fear the drive shaft might be too low. More on this when it is actually built this is just me thinking right now.

Mods list?

Rx300,Highlander, 2001–2010 RAV4... Well anything with a u140f transmission.

You will need:

Transfer case
Rear differential
Rear axles
Three part drive shaft(Its important that its three parts to help maneuver around the gas tank)
Front Axles (optional)
Time

Pretty straight forward, you could use your stock front axles instead of the the others, but... there will be some cutting and welding so... best to have a extra set.

Going over my master plan in my head before the work commences...

1. Cut driver side axle
2. Weld flat plate onto axle
3. Drill 2 hole into passenger axle and intermediate shaft (Maybe)
4. Weld intermediate shaft to passenger axle to drive the transfer case (May just trust the bolt thing as I am not 100% sure this would be any benefit)
5. Use flat iron to mount the transfer case to block and make flat mount for the driver side axle.
6. Weld brackets to hold up rear diff
7. Move front wheel hubs to rear, and rear hubs to front.
8. Attach rear axles
9. Attach drive shaft.
10. Cross my fingers and hope it isn't a complete pipe dream as I see if it works

You guys can let me know what you think, but come tomorrow morning I will be trying to get S**t done
Sounds good, take this opportunity and take advantage of capitalism and make a kit / service to do this.

·
Registered
33 Posts
How are you going with this?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thought you guys might like to see this! A dude in one of the FB groups is putting together a complete, 100% bolt RWD conversion kit for the 7th Gen GTS.

I wonder how much of it could be utilised towards an AWD plan.

There's links to 2 of his posts here. One roughly lists the parts and the other is the near-completion post

https://m.facebook.com/groups/913944102101172?view=permalink&id=1143922219103358

https://www.facebook.com/groups/913944102101172/permalink/1147116885450558/

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just confirmed today, yes the 1nz 1zr are the same c56/c60/u341e transaxle case.

We tried to find alternative engines rather bellhouses but the 'big boys' a246e from 6g celica and u240e from 7g celica are not 1zr 1nz.

Retro: JDM corolla 1zz ecm will retro fit the a540f series into a 7g celica, (without cluster) this will need to be proven over the next year.

Note: 17p (5th plug) is this for 2zz drive by wire? preassure signals are a bit off.

Edit: Rav4 1zz or avensis also use a241e.

*USDM matrix/corolla ecm are identical.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
https://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?p=6139041

I think it's safe to rule out this post as well. 03-08 rear diff is essentially 09-13 only the coupling is updated with electro-magnetic. See how there's a wire & connector and the transfer case may look different. Also seeing a (venza) 4wd ecu 89630-73010

If this is true the rear sub & diff should be the same but rarely have I ever been near a 09-13 with (awd) not to mention peek at someone's undercarriage :eek:

Fits 2009-2013 Toyota Matrix, 2009-2013 Toyota Venza and 2009-2010 Pontiac Vibe.

Toyota Rav4 2006-2012, 2010-2013 Sienna,

Toyota Part #’s 4130368012; 4130368010; 4130368011; 4130328013; 4130342023

GM Part #’s 19205423; 19205602

·
Registered
74 Posts
Here's another video similar to the OP's discovery only this guy has the straght up answer, I wish I found this sooner and cut down the confusion.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=BMv_v9IBugU

It almost shows the nestle of the transfer case agaist the block and the venza rear suspension is from an rx300 correct me, I ony watched the video once so far..

·
Registered
74 Posts
Getting parts for real, 40$ no plans for the rear yet, these frames are known to break during late stage cancer. This one is still early stage cancer( home grown) Sandblast or rustcoat ideas anyone?

If you're tuning in just now this frame props up your steering rack for the drive shaft clearance.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Another 40$ minus the rear diff and regarding the spring rates it's been documented before but getting a first look of the suspension compare to other rear sizes :

OEM zzt230 10mm
TRD zzt231 12mm
4WD zze123 14mm

I can see if the rear cradle mount the sub upside down, the drain plug will face down, why it points upward is beyond me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Seeing today how the control arms are cut I noted the similar distance span between the subgtame tags and cradle mounts.. I'd be damned if there was a match..

Soon enough I ripped the cradle off the diff and plugged it into the subframe like it was meant to be there..

Pros n' cons are it's nowhere near the hubs and just off the ground. It's too crowded for the diff and won't nestle upsidedown.

I can't say 100% since the car isn't off the ground where I can see further into this but it's very likely the cradle will be incorporated into the forward towers of this subframe, (existing axle muffler) in total there are six bolts.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Oh snap Corning CA? I live in Redding
If youre the guy im thinking off I think we met before at Pick N Pull?
That’s me! I own an 00’ gts now haha. My friend also has a 02 gts and my other friend has an 00’ gts as well. We’ve been doing a lot of late night summer celica action and we’ll be heading to the norcal/socal meet on the 21st of next month.

121 - 140 of 140 Posts