NewCelica.org Forum banner

141 - 146 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone!

Okay so this has been long awaited, but still no steps to do so. I will be taking it upon myself to document all the steps I take to make a 2zz awd using mostly bolt on parts. So far I have sourced a few parts in order to get this to work for a fair price. My plan was to source everything from a RX300 since same wheelbase and the Celica seems to have the same mounting locations. The only difference is the way the rear is setup there is no leaf spring. After spending two days at the junkyard getting my parts I learned the transfer case was destroyed inside. That was a waste of time. on the upside I got a small diff that should bolt into the celica with minimal mounting and I am sure no cutting.

The parts I have sourced so far:
1999 Lexus Rx300:
- Rear axles​
- Front axles​
- Rear differential​
- Drive shaft​
Total cost = $167

My plan is to get the remaining parts and still keep the cost low. I would also like to keep it simple so more people will be able to do the conversion.

The plan right now is to source a 153 transmission with a transfer case or better yet a 154f which I hear some Rav4s have. After I get the new tranny I have a feeling the axles from the U140 will not work with the 153. I will be doing more research on this otherwise its back to the junkyard looking for parts

If anyone has anything to add please do,
But for now its off to the garage.
Hey i was wondering if you ever finished your celica project? I live in Redmond and was curious about making my 91' GT-S celica awd. Thanks for your time, Arvind

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sorry I didn't see there was a video is that an 4wd matrix in a corolla Ce and 2zz turbo swap?

Wow If a corolla/matrix is the same length that driveshaft is one less problem

At least most parts fit but are not leaps and bounds for performance Ideal would be ae86 rear or rav4 solution

I'm not familiar with flipping Corolla turbo pipes but exhaust can be flattened

·
Registered
1 Posts
ABSOLUTELY following this... if people smarter than me are able to determine how to successfully make this AWD work and be able to provide the parts list and major work needed, I will 100% be converting my '00 GT to AWD as fast as possible.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ya funny story, I got as far as prying the hubs out of the matrix knuckles...not an easy job, I tried to do the same on a doner gts but the rust bond was too stong so I couldn't rebuild a spare sets of knuckles with gts rear disk so I stripped the doner down to the shell and sent it for crushing.

I lost the rear celica frame and 4 rear knuckles for rebuild in the move... not hard to replace at all..still got the hubs though.

The juck yard costs $55 each steel part and $110 for aluminum.. it all goes to the steel mill anyway...but dropping the front and rear end would cost hundreds only to realize your own failures.. thats why I take 1 piece and lean from it as much as possible then move forward.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Stupid, I left the 4wd rear motor mount in the yard thinking they would change extra for it, they were onto me for a 4wd power steering hose..

But when I got home I looked under the gts steering rack.. low and behold it was under the 2wd mount - and the 4wd mount is under the 4wd steering rack...so how do you face the challenge of raising the gts steering rack?

Anyhow I thought you would enjoy being spectators, not expecting much of a reply, it takes up too much of my life as well, I've been getting complacent in my abcence too.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

141 - 146 of 146 Posts