NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Toyota Celica that im working on and the engine is blown. The Celica is the Gt version and has the 1.8L VIN R, 1ZZFE eng, these engines run about $1600 and I cant afford to pay that. I know that the Toyota Matrix uses this same engine, and I also know that the Matrix and the Pontiac Vibe are identical cars. Ive found a 1.8L Pontiac Vibe engine for $750 and I want to know if it will fit in the Celica?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I know the corolla also used a similar engine. If it makes a difference, you may want to check the engine specs. I believe dome of those engines have about 20 HP less. Other than that I believe it is close to a direct fit. Wiring harness as always may be a headache since I don't think the harnesses will be the same. Other than that, doable!

To answer the OP,
http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=250900

Should be a fairly straightforward swap!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

·
Super Moderator
12,227 Posts
well you are lucky that you are in Palmdale. Im in Lancaster. I can do the swap for you. to answer your question, the engine will work but it will need to be modified to work in a celica. PM me for more details.

·
I don't care
891 Posts
I know the corolla also used a similar engine. If it makes a difference, you may want to check the engine specs. I believe dome of those engines have about 20 HP less.
I have a corolla 1zz in my Celica and I make the same power. I believe it's the way they tune the car. So OP, yes you can use a different 1zz. I would really suggest talking to Smaay and maybe even taking your car to him to do the swap.

·
Super Moderator
12,227 Posts
there were corolla heads that have slightly smaller valves. but i think that was earlier on. Most of the power differences are in the ECU and intake and exhaust designs. i believe the later 1ZZ are the same across the board.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a corolla 1zz in my Celica and I make the same power. I believe it's the way they tune the car. So OP, yes you can use a different 1zz. I would really suggest talking to Smaay and maybe even taking your car to him to do the swap.
Did you use the Celica injectors? I've heard this account ts for around 10 HP and then light weight piston connecting rods Account for the rest. Still, for how affordable the swap is, well worth the Money

As smaay stated my info may be from the earlier 1zz engines. I know ecu, injectors, exhaust, and redline accounted for a large portion of the power difference. Even if there is a slight power difference I font think it would be noticeable

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

·
I don't care
891 Posts
I know I have the Celica injectors, but I don't know what other internals I have because I didn't do the swap

·
Registered
3 Posts
well you are lucky that you are in Palmdale. Im in Lancaster. I can do the swap for you. to answer your question, the engine will work but it will need to be modified to work in a celica. PM me for more details.
what on the celica will need to be modified? we are looking for an engine/trans for my daughters 2001 celica gt and her birthday is in 3 weeks

·
Registered
196 Posts
Any 1ZZ engine can be directly swapped into the Celica. Only thing to watch out for is if the donor engine has air injection ports in the head and the receiving car doesn't. Ports will need to be blocked off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts