NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
@celicatoast
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of the racers no longer are on this forum but hopefully someone can chime in. I've been getting more involved with drag racing on street night at New England Dragway and have been doing my best to hit better times each night I go. I know my celica is far from it's potential when I race it. For those with drag racing experience, what advice can you share? I really want to improve my 60-ft times. Below is my best run to date:

I had my front tires to around 18PSI and rears at 35PSI, max stiffness on rear coilovers and about half stiffness in the front.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
At what RPM did you dump it and go? Do you have control arm bushings?

·
@celicatoast
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At what RPM did you dump it and go? Do you have control arm bushings?
I was mostly following the "How to launch" Thread by Illusive so it was around 6000-6800 RPMs and I beleive I was feathering the clutch a bit, I'm afraid of breaking something by dumping the clutch lol I was also using the ebrake method to help me launch / pre stage.

Negative on the control arm bushings. Only bushings on the car are on the front and rear motor mounts

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Control arm bushings may help you out some, reduce wheel hop and keep the toe on target so you get off the line straighter with less chance of breaking things. Also what tires are you running? 18 is pretty low for a street tire and may have actually made any wheel spin worse.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,264 Posts
Your setup is pretty much spot on. I've seen people go as low as 15 psi but I think you are fine at 18. I might even say try 20 psi and see how it goes. At the back you could try 40 psi also, although I'm not convinced it will lower the rolling resistance enough to matter it won't hurt to try.

Judging by the numbers your mph matches the ET well so this is probably down to lowering your 60ft, which is mostly about getting the power down. You are already launching at close to the torque peak and 2.31 isn't entirely too bad on a fwd car with open diff. Are you spinning a lot on launch? If you are then I'd recommend getting wider tires. You should be able to get to 2.2 seconds.

I looked at my old slips and I was getting 15.2 at 93 mph with 2.4 60ft times when I had the 15" GTS wheels with 205/55 tires on. Now with a heavier car and 215/45R17 tires on 8" wide wheels (more rotational mass) I'm getting 15.3 at 92 mph with the same 2.4 times.

I got some Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 recently and they seem a bit stickier than my old tires so I might try them next at the track.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts