NewCelica.org Forum banner

21 - 40 of 631 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
There are some kind of noise restrictions. I've never been close to that loud of a car - so I'm not familiar with them. Sounds like Bill's exhaust tip would essentially be buried under the car pointing at a hollow area underneath and resonating throughout the car. So like he said it's probably quite loud inside the car, but not so much outside.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
If you are looking for power with an exhaust and you don't want to just run without any then buy the TRD exhaust. It has the best power gains out of all the exhausts and is lighter then stock but it wont be as light as no exhaust.

·
Registered
277 Posts
When running the straight pipe, I was never in danger of hitting the Db limit. Per the very latest Fastrack news, that's 100DbA. The relevant info is here: http://www.scca.com/assets/12-fastrack-april-solo.pdf

And I found my numbers from my last alignment. -2.2 front, -1.6 rear, zero toe all around.

Of course with different shocks or tires, YMMV.

**** Post edited to show correct rear camber of -1.6 degrees.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Cool, thanks Bill.

I picked up my new ride on Saturday (woohoo) as expected, so now I really need to find time to get busy with it!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks Bill. I don't normally do them because I don't buy R-comps, but classes changed a bit tire-wise - so we'll see. I race with 9 or so local clubs in the Chicago area mainly - it keeps me busy. My name is John BTW.

I don't have a repair manual nor have I been underneath it yet. Does the trans like synthetic gear oil I suppose? Need 2 quarts or so? How about the clutch is it hydraulic? If so, what's the bleed procedure?

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
I use the Redline MT90. I've never had any trouble at all with it, certainly nothing like the complaints from the linked thread. Of course my car is bone stock, so that may have something to do with it. If I were running an LSD (oh, I wish!), then things might be different.

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=308200

Looking at my service record, I put the MT90 in at 67k, in Sept of 2008. I suppose it's probably time for me to refresh that. It's got over 30k on it now.

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
^I'm using the "cocktail" now and it's a pain for me. No place here sells all 3 so when I have to do a change it means driving all over town and back : /. In the future I'll just use the LWSP.

I used MT-90 for a while, it was ok, by the time I swapped to it 4th gear was on it's way out and 2nd had started acting up. 4 months later the clutch went out so I went ahead and had the transmission replaced at the same time. I can't say the Redline helped my already crappy transmission, but it certainly didn't do anymore damage than was already done.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
At big events, I remove...the back section of the exhaust. This terminates right in front of the rear axle line.
Doesn't it exit right under the gas tank? I'd be worried about sitting in grid, engine running, heating up that fuel. Do you shut your car off in grid?

·
Registered
277 Posts
The exhaust terminates just behind the trailing edge of the gas tank. I don't think it would be much hotter under the car with the pipe off. There's lots of room there, and the exhaust points away from the tank, and not towards anything much at all. There are several heat shields in place as well.

There are two reasons I wouldn't leave the pipe off for extended periods. It's annoyingly loud inside the car, and a rather long section of pipe is unsupported when the tail piece is off.

And yes, I do shut my car off in grid. But not because I'm worried about heat from the exhaust. :)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I always dropped the exhaust at events and never had problems with the gas tank. I always left the car running during events too. If you have remote canisters then you want to make sure it and the hose are not in direct stream of exhaust when under power. I have had issues of the hose cover melting.
As far a s noise level goes, I had high flow cat and headers for ST and never got above 92 db at any event without muffler. Stock cat and resonator you would be lucky to push 85 db. This was on a GT.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Clarification wanted about strut *inserts* as I've never dealt with them before... are the plug & play or do you need additional parts or machining? I've changed shocks/struts a few times but never inserts.

Also, is there a preference between the Koni #"8641 1409Sport" recommended for Celica front and Koni #"8641 1422Sport" which is MR2-S back strut that supposedly fits the Celica front?

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
I know this is off topic, but is anyone running a celica in Street Touring now? Last year I think we were in STS, but this year it looks like we've been moved to STC? Any opinions on the celicas competitiveness in that class?

·
Registered
277 Posts
You'll still be up against the 1990 Civic Si, so it's going to be a tough class. I have had both Brian Priebe and Bob Carpenter tell me that they think the Celica could be competitive, but that no one has properly set one up yet. I don't think I'm the guy to do it, as I don't have the setup experience. But it seems like it should be possible.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
idk, im am kind of nervous for my first autox event. Even though its a training thing I just afriad my car will not pass inspection due to the Kazuma exhuast being louder than alot of things out there. I know its at Route 66 in the middles of cornfields, but I just dont want to be sent home.

Hey VRUM VR6 hope to see you there this weekend. Looks like I will be the only toyota at car event again.

21 - 40 of 631 Posts