NewCelica.org Forum banner

401 - 420 of 631 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
For anyone interested, I have a set of new stock-legal wheels for sale in the classifieds. Konig Swurve coming in at about 14lbs each.

·
Mid NY state Autocrosser
56 Posts
Celica to Miata?

My son has been codriving my automatic Celica and we both feel the car is pretty well balanced at this point. However, he'd like to get his own car with a standard transmission. I think his plan is to try to find a inexpensive car that is easy to work on and to fix it up to drive in a stock class at first. Some folks have been recommending a Miata. There are a fair number available, parts are easy to get, they are easy to work on, and good/fun for autocross.

You've all given me great advice on my Celica and driver upgrades. Do any of you have any thoughts on the differences my son might see with a Miata? Obviously, he'd be going from FWD to RWD and from an auto to a standard, but is there anything else that comes to mind?

Thanks for any thoughts you might have,
John

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think the Miata is a great choice. Cheap, plentiful. You can run them stock, and there are several classes that they can go to with modifications. There are certainly specific years and trim levels that are more desirable, but for someone just starting out, that may not be too big of a deal.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I second the choice. My only suggestion would be to try to determine your ultimate class for the car up front. Then you can research what year/series of Miata's finish best in those classes at major events. If you want the freedom to play with springs and swaybars and such, you might want to aim for Street Touring. STS works well with 90 to 97, no LSD option and STR gets the LSD cars, and later models. (no turbos)

You can still start with a stockish prep and work it up over time. Be sure to check my facts before spending $$$. I'm not a Miata expert. Find someone who knows the proper answers. If you' get stuck, pm me and I'll pass you to my son. He knows this stuff pretty well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Vrum,

What tires are you using in RTF? With the 'Kooks and Toyo going away next year it looks like the remaining tires will 205x50-15. That means a 4.5% hit on gearing at best, unless the new Dunlop or B'stone come in a 225.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Changed their minds again. Too late now. My Hoosiers are due any day now.

Anyone interested in RTF should try the reinstated Hankooks. On my car they were 1.5 seconds faster than the banned Toyos. But never got around to the Dunlops. You'll have to do your own comparisons there.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
What on earth were you listening to? :lol:

Good driving man, I hate when tires slide like that in the rain. Feels like the car is having a wet fart BRRRAAPPPP. Whole run in 2nd gear too.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #413
LOL, that was the announcer, and definitely not one of the more amusing ones, sorry ;)

Thanks mang, I got pretty sideways there - I was like 90D sideways at one point if you noticed. Again, that wasn't fast, but it was fun... several corner workers made sure to thank me for all the entertainment LOL - without touching a single cone in four sideways runs like that one.

I knew that I wasn't going any faster when the rain started so I decided to just push my limits (and get some style points) instead.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #415
Always Bill, thanks!

That was an RTF day for me BTW, on the Direzzas with exhaust on if it matters.

401 - 420 of 631 Posts