NewCelica.org Forum banner

421 - 440 of 631 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
mrfunny107, I'll reply to that one. Just have fun. Been there, done that. Be happy if you get within 2 seconds of the top. Make fun of the guys you beat even though they are in the Spec car. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
hey guys been awhile since i last checked up on this thread hope everyone is having a good rest of the season/ offseason. I've gotten back into my rallycross groove and now am considering a new build for it using my old smf car :) tom is winterized now and awaiting some tlc. I have to replace the rear shocks/mounts cuz the knocking is disturbing. The rf outer cv boot still needs replaced and eventually i'll have to get some konis for the front and some new wheels to be ready for next year. I plan on doing a lot more rtf driving locally so i can save the hoosiers for the big events. I'm going to wait to see the new crop of street tires coming out before i purchase some rtf tires. The new star specs look promising but the new kuhmo and bridgestones should be out as well. only time will tell. I'd consider going to rtf on a national level but i feel like i'm cheating the car and myself not getting the most of it.
To chime in on some old topics the si is a capable car i'd stick with it. I think in the right hands it could be a contender. they are able to get camber in the front, use a big rear bar and can fit decent sized tires underneath not to mention the power and lsd advantage. The si that finished right outside of the trophies was a very well setup car with a driver who had never driven the car before. His wife won gsL in it. I have seen jeff jacobs do very well in this car locally. I had a chance to drive the new gti, its a pig with crappy brakes and doesn't rotate at all so no worries there. The srt4 is a bull to drive, its more of a point and shoot car vs the momentum celica. I personally think the si falls somewhere in the middle of those two in driving style very much like the sentra ser and mazdaspeed protege.
commenting on bills wheel spin question, i was getting massive amounts of inside wheelspin when the car just had an alignment and hoosiers. now that i have the big rear bar its definately not as bad but still exists somewhat. I think once you go to the hohos you will get enough roll to make it appear. The 275s elminated the majority of mine but quick transitions that require acceleration through them can still cause a little.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yeah, I only have one event on the A6's with mixed results. Damn things pulled all the camber out of the front, so I'm going to have to increase torque on the undersize 3-dots to scary levels.

Other findings, ALL my rotation went away. So even though I think I'm setup similar to Bill L, our cars seem very different. And still no wheelspin.

When shopping for RTF tires, I assume you know SEB reversed themselves on the tire rule, and now only the 195 Toyo is banned. So be sure to include the Hankook R-S3 in your considerations.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Andy,

Thanks for the feedback. How was the Si you mentioned at Nationals set up? I listed what I've done to my Si. About the only things left seem to be: brake pads, brake fluid, and the little bit of camber possible up front.

What were the differences in the courses at Nationals? It looks like the Si held its own the first day, but faded on the second day's course.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #427
Day one for GS was the West course which was a WIDE and open course mostly with LOTS of high speed strecthes on the first half of the course followed by fast wall-oms and slalom. Day two was much tighter and technical. Both courses were a BLAST!

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Does anyone know if there will be significant rule changes for tires next year?? Somewhere in the back of my mind, I think someone told me that the tread wear ratings will change.

I dont want to buy 140tw tires and find out that 180tw is the new minimum.

THis is how women must feel like when they go shoe shopping.

Hankooks RS3 vs Dunlops Z1's in 140 UTQG

Kumho XS vs Potenza RE-11 in 180 UTQG.

opinoins????

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Dunlops are 220.

140 is allowed for next year with the "magic" size R1R excluded. All other R1R at 140 are ok.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Per the November Fastrack:

ROAD TIRE

The SEB has decided, after considering member input, to retract the change which increased the Road Tire minimum required treadwear rating from 140. This will be reflected in the Supplemental Regulations for future National Tour events.

The SEB has also decided that for the Road Tire classes the following tire will be on the Exclusion List, effective 1/1/2013:

Toyo Proxes R1R 195/50-15 size only

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/12-fastrack-nov-solo1.pdf

This rule change is only for Road Tire. The ST classes are unchanged.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Rear shocks are in. Took the cheap route and put agxs on. I plan on running them full soft for the time.being. even at full soft they are stiffer than the very weak/worn stock shocks. Also resolved some clunking by tightening up my rear sway endlinks :b front konis will be ordered in the next week or two.

I'd like to try out some 225 rs3s before I make my decision for next year. Part of me wants a competitive local street tire but I will also be driving to big events on these and they have to work in the rain since I don't use hoosier wets in g stock. I was impressed with life/ fun factor of my re-11s and they were pretty good in the wet. From what I hear the rs3s aren't very good in the wet. I guess ill wait till spring and make a decision.

Wcs- Jeff Jacobs si is a full build shocks, wheels, good align, exhaust, big hohos. If he had driven in gstock I have no doubt he could trophy or win. You can also try to track down mike Wilson who has a fully built g stock si. He is from one of the NY regions and was a good guy, very willing to give up info on the car.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Rear shocks are in. Took the cheap route and put agxs on. I plan on running them full soft for the time.being. even at full soft they are stiffer than the very weak/worn stock shocks. Also resolved some clunking by tightening up my rear sway endlinks :b front konis will be ordered in the next week or two.
Let me get this straight. You ran worn out stock shocks, a mix of new and used (weird sized) tires and the suspension was loose. And got third at Nationals, just a half second out? Jeez. Whoever taught you to drive? :whoa:

·
Registered
56 Posts
To tell you truth bill up until last year I have been driving cars that were so hard to drive that once I got in my buddies wrx last year and then the celica this year I didn't realize how bad my previous cars were. I've always been pretty good adapting to cars but the celica is one of the easiest to get the most out of. I'm very happy with my purchase :) hopefully next year the car will be close to done and I can get more seat time because I know everyone else will be getting faster.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Rear shocks are in. Took the cheap route and put agxs on. I plan on running them full soft for the time.being. even at full soft they are stiffer than the very weak/worn stock shocks
I have AGXs. I run the fronts full soft and the rears on setting 2 (one step up from full soft). I tolerate a looser rear end than most folks do though. I wouldn't go stiffer than 2; the AGXs adjust rebound and compression together and in my opinion compression goes too high on 3 and 4.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #439
I may have to go with the AGXs too as I just eclipsed 112,000 miles on the rears. The miles are flying... I had 96k in late March.

Andy, I wanted to get the 225 Hankook R-S3 this year as I loved them on my Audi, but almost everyone told me that they are way too wide for our stock wheels. Plus the Tire Rack wouldn't mount them.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Andy, I wanted to get the 225 Hankook R-S3 this year as I loved them on my Audi, but almost everyone told me that they are way too wide for our stock wheels. Plus the Tire Rack wouldn't mount them.
That's bs. They fit my stock width wheels just fine. One of the faster RTF cars locally is an Integra who runs them on wheels a half inch narrower than ours.

I realize you can't see much detail in my sig photo, but those are 225 Hankooks in the front and 195 Toyo's on the rear.

421 - 440 of 631 Posts