NewCelica.org Forum banner

441 - 460 of 631 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #441
Really? I was told that that tire likes a really wide rim like an 8" and that it would feel sloppy in transitions with that much squeeze onto narrower rims like our 6.5".

·
Registered
147 Posts
It would like wider rims -- probably most tires would. But in stock class we're limited to what works best under restrictions. When I changed from 195 Toyo's all around to the 225 Hankook fronts (at the same practice event), the car immediately picked up nearly two seconds on a 65 second course. And obvious improvement was noticed in the very first corner. Add to that, unlike the Toyo's, the Hankooks are heat-insensitive tires. The Toyo's go off badly after one run and have to be extensively water cooled.

What I can't help you with is the Dunlops which also have a good reputation. My guess is that the Hankooks would still come out on top, but it would be much closer. Plus I think the Dunlop is available in other sizes which might prove advantageous. One suggestion is to do what I did with Hankooks & Toyos. Buy a pair of Hankooks and a pair of Dunlops and swap them front to back several times to see which has better grip and manners.

But don't listen to the "experts" who tell you the Hankook won't work. They're the go-to RTF tire out here.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just remember john I fit 275 hohos on the 6.5s and made it work
the 225 kooks wouldnt be too bad I think I might give them a try what kind of pressures are you having to run bill?

On another note is everyone as pumped as me to see the new schedule for prosolo and tours. I've heard very good things about the new cinci site. And we get 2 prosolos in the midatlantic and I'm pretty sure the dover, de tour is a done deal according to my philly region peeps. Now all we have to do is get the g stock guys to start showing up or else ill have to run rtf :(

·
Registered
277 Posts
Tire Rack wouldn't mount the 225s? That doesn't make sense. What did they tell you? Make sure they know it's for competition. Obviously, they mount my 225 Hoosiers all the time. In general, when someone is buying a competition tire, they ask a lot fewer questions, they just put big disclaimers on the invoice.

I need to look at the new schedule... anybody got a link?

Oh, and the Celica just went into storage for the winter today. So I'm bummed that I'll have to drive the corolla for the rest of the winter.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Been meaning to throw these up

·
Registered
147 Posts
the 225 kooks wouldnt be too bad I think I might give them a try what kind of pressures are you having to run bill?
The Toyo's in the 195/50 size (ST "magic tire") want very low pressures. I run as low as 24 in back. Because I run such low rear pressures, I kinda tend to stay a little low on the front Hankooks too. So I run between 36 and 38. Other people run up into the low 40's.

If I were running Kooks front and rear I'd probably start 40/40 which would be too high for the rears, but rotation-friendly. And then lower the rears if it gets a little too exciting.

ps, I run max negative camber front and rear. Less camber might well call for higher pressures.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Konis going on the front this week its on like donkey kong. Oh and the official scca national schedule is up hope to see everyone out at some events. Im planning on making as many east coast/ Ohio events as possible.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts

just gotta put some good rubber on these things. They have real summer tire now so I'll use those for trackdays and get some good rubber for AUTOX :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #452
Nice. Why you hidin' the caliper? ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
So who's coming to the dixie match tour? And if I can't find a co-driver would anyone like to do an arrive and drive with me? Plans aren't completely set in stone but I'm 95% sure ill be in Georgia in march. Hope to get some better numbers for g stock this year.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
And if I can't find a co-driver would anyone like to do an arrive and drive with me?
What weekend is this? I'm tempted. Depends on getting time off from work, available funds, etc.

·
Registered
56 Posts
March 15-17 is the dixie match tour

·
Registered
74 Posts
Barring any unforseen issues, I will be at Dixie. Talked to Steve today and he is planning on being there as well. It would be great if we could get at least 5 there. GS really needs to show some good participation this year!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #457
All this race talk is making my heart race, bastards! ;)

Now I'm thinking about this too. The main hurdle is having blown my budget last year and going into the hole with the new-to-me Celica acquisition and build. I would like to do the rear shocks and I definitely need at least a pair of Hoosiers as I smoked one down to the steel belts at the end of the season.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Don't jump the gun yet word on the street is the new bfgoodrich gforce rival is a pretty badass street tire. A large group of soloist just tested them and all reviews were positive. I have a few calls to make before finalizing plans for dixie. I'd like to make a class as well since our weekend is cut short because of the match tour format which is very course/weather dependant to make the challenge rounds. I still wish they would have used a prosolo style index where class winners get in and it goes off your class index. Oh well still will be fun. I still gotta pick up some fresh tires and then it'll be time to relearn the car with the new upgrades.

·
Registered
147 Posts
AFAIK there's no 225/45-15 listed. And wasn't the roll-out test session without lap timing, so pretty subjective? Clearly a good tire, but maybe not a game changer for our cars. Know even less about the new Dunlop. It's nice that manufacturers are still trying to compete and improve.

Edit: Tire Rack is now showing a 225/45-15, but availability isn't until end of March. Additional testing says it's at least comparable to the RS-3 but better low temperature capability and maybe better in rain.

441 - 460 of 631 Posts