NewCelica.org Forum banner

461 - 480 of 631 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Registered for dixie and I'm bringing a codriver so as long as Steve comes we will have a least 5 in class mark. Can't wait I'm getting cabin fever here in the northeast I need some autox. I'm making due with indoor carting but its not the same. see you guys in Georgia in a month.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Awesome! I saw you registered. I know the guy in the Neon but never ran against him. Can't wait to get back behind the wheel!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
If there are any Celicas running GS or RTF at the San Diego tour or El Toro Prosolo, I'm looking for a codrive. I have 7 years experience in the car until mine oil starved at a track event (bonus: I will religiously check your oil).

·
Registered
147 Posts
If there are any Celicas running GS or RTF at the San Diego tour or El Toro Prosolo, I'm looking for a codrive. I have 7 years experience in the car until mine oil starved at a track event (bonus: I will religiously check your oil).
I'd like to oblige but I just recently blew the bottom end out of mine down at San Diego. Fixed now...but I'm still nervous. I'm thinking the tranny has just as many miles as that engine. I probably shouldn't have started with a 150k-mile beater.

BTW, on the subject of replacement drivetrain components, I know it's common to fit MR2 engines which are considered identical, but what about trannys? Even if an MR2 tranny is not a total drop-in, can you mix & match major parts of it and still retain identical ratios and appearance? I'd like to find a replacement now, before I actually need it.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I'd like to oblige but I just recently blew the bottom end out of mine down at San Diego. Fixed now...but I'm still nervous. I'm thinking the tranny has just as many miles as that engine. I probably shouldn't have started with a 150k-mile beater.
Mine had 191k before it kicked the bucket. Glad you got yours running again. Mine is in a junkyard. :(

·
Registered
57 Posts
Bill,

Is there any way that you can either confirm or deny the fitment of Scion TC rear Koni yellows to the rear of the Celica? Even it is just the fact that people have bought them for a Celica.

Also, since you posted camber bolt part numbers curious about which ones you use and what alignment settings... I'm buying my Celica this Saturday and want to hit the ground running.

One other question for anyone that knows... for SCCA Solo stock class - the camber bolts HAVE to be dealer bolts I assume?
The koni yellows for celica gts are ddiscontinued but I called koni USA and he found me a set from Canada and the guy had a couple extra sets.that was last year though.and be ready to spend some cheddar mine cost like a grand for the set of 4

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Shorten, revalve, DA conversions on all 4 will cost $2000 and take 3 months.
Call ProParts USA. Can't promise it'll be cheaper but they can turn your shocks around faster than Koni.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If anyone needs a good deal on a set of lightweight GS legal wheels, I have a set of Konig Sweurve wheels ready to go in the FS section.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #471
2013 Ford Focus ST in GS?

So, is the new hotrod Ford Focus ST the new ringer in GS? I see that three of them are registered to run this Saturday at Champaign County Sports Car Club. I'm tempted to go down there to see how far off I am. They're all registered in RTF-GS as I would be, but my car and maybe tires may not be ready by Sat.

Having similar numbers to the Mazdaspeed 3 - I'm surprised that it is in GS and not DS with almost twice the power and more than twice torque of the Celica GT. Does it have an LSD or an option? I suppose it handles too.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think "doing away with stock" might be putting it a little strongly. But major changes are being discussed, that's for sure. I would think the Focus ST would be a stronger car with the changes they're talking about.

It's an interesting proposal. I'm not certain it will be good for the Celica, unless they also do a fair amount of reclassing. But if this stuff goes through, I think it will take a few years for it all to shake out.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't think it's an overstatement. Even the name goes away. Conceptually it's proposed to be something like street-touring lite.

There was an embedded comment about doing general reclassing at the same time so I wouldn't think anyone knows what will come out on top. I don't remember it stated specifically, but I assume the RT classes would get swept up by this too?

We'll see how the ground-swell goes. This might easily get shot down.

As to the Focus ST, it's a pretty impressive car in several respects. But I believe it's HEAVY. If the SRT4 comparison is valid it should be competitive on zoomy courses but maybe less so on technical slalom-intensive courses like typical Lincoln.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #475
I grabbed a recent copy of R&T magazine at home last night to look up the stats and compare the Focus ST (GS) to the Mazdaspeed 3 (DS) and overall they were more or less tied across the board on weight, power, performance, handling, etc. So the main difference in my eyes is that the ST has the favorable index.

Considering that in my area Chicago/Milwaukee I was battling with a solid driver last year in an MS3 in RTF, and that I usually managed to edge him on index but not raw time - then the ST probably will do quite well with the right driver IMO.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #477
Agreed, however MS3 & ST are more similar in weight and power. The SRT4 is at least a couple hundred pounds lighter and down 20+ hp.

·
Registered
147 Posts
So I'm down at the SD TOUR and the car will not rotate. I just dialed in a bunch of toe out but have no way to measure it. 4 marks each side. Anyone know what a mark.equals in inches?

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
I think each mark is 1mm toe, not sure how that relates to degrees but there's some math you can do to figure that out.

461 - 480 of 631 Posts