NewCelica.org Forum banner

621 - 631 of 631 Posts

·
Mid NY state Autocrosser
56 Posts
Andy,
thanks for the advice. How loud might My GT be with the muffler delete pipe? I'd be interested in any pictures you might be able to provide.

Bitter,
I do have a good muffler shop nearby so the magnaflow option you gave is interesting. I did talk to the shop last year about making a pipe for me with a supertrapp at the end. He said that he could do it but I needed to get the flange that attaches to the front pipe.
Thanks.

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
Just hack off the one on the stock muffler like I did. I used that flange and bend and had it welded to the muffler, then they made one bend and put the stock GTS canister and tip on the end of it so it looks 100% stock. I even painted all under the car flat black with BBQ grill paint so there's NOTHING to see here.

·
Mid NY state Autocrosser
56 Posts
I ordered the KYB AGX shocks, but reviews said that the KYB boot doesn't fit over the shock body. Can anyone recommend a boot and bump stop that will work with these?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #624
John, I don't remember the KYB AGX shock boots for whatever reason right now, but make sure that the review you read is specific to the Celica application.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I ordered the KYB AGX shocks, but reviews said that the KYB boot doesn't fit over the shock body. Can anyone recommend a boot and bump stop that will work with these?
Hi John, wish I could've warned you in time about the AGXs.

I used to have a GS automatic Celica. I always thought it wasn't *that* much slower than a manual, but when the motor died and I joined the CS party with an FRS I started consistently paxing top 5 in my region. The auto slowed me down way more than I realized.

Anyways, I did spend a year on the AGXs (front and rear). For the rears I believe I just used the stock top hat. The nasty secret of the AGX is that the one knob adjusts rebound and compression together. YMMV, but I found settings 3-4 to be too high on compression, to the point where the rear suspension didn't move as much under load, which reduced the effect of the sway bar and made me start pushing like a pig. I did eventually find front/rear settings that played very nice with each other, but they stopped being adjustable shocks at that point. I wasn't super pleased, but they were better than the blown shocks I had.

Definitely use some glue to attach the rear adjusters before finalizing install. I had one fall off in there - no way to get it back without pulling the shock.

Good luck to all of you still in GS, that Focus looks fast. If you're at a national event and you spot some weirdo staring forlornly at your car for an inappropriate amount of time, it's probably me.

·
Mid NY state Autocrosser
56 Posts
I have the KYB AGX shocks in my house now, not installed yet. So, can anyone recommend boots or bump stops?

Also, what type of glue have you used for the adjuster knob?
Thanks,
John

·
Mid NY state Autocrosser
56 Posts
Thanks for the warning about gluing the top hat. I ended up putting them on with a drop of super glue after installing the shocks. To make sure I didn't lose them I stuffed paper towels in the hole so they couldn't run away and hide if I dropped them. I think I'll leave the towel in there, just in case... Now I have to retune the car to find the best setup of shock settings, tire pressure, etc.
Thanks again,
John

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #628

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, of the record 1,230 competitors at the 2015 Tire Rack SCCA Solo Nationals, there was only one driver in a 7th Gen Toyota Celica - me. They sent a squadron of 2014 FoSTs after me, but I fended them off and took home the win in GSL in the "wrong" car!

Thanks to the current and former Celica drivers (and fans of non-spec classing) who have helped me with parts, setup advice, and words of encouragement. I could feel all of you cheering me on.

·
Mid NY state Autocrosser
56 Posts
Great! I agree with you about the help found here. I just took 6th Pax place in my local region event as a result of that help.
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #631 (Edited)
Congrats to both of you!

Laura it was nice to finally say hello to you briefly after your repeat win... that's HUGE and obviously it's serious driving. I was definitely pulling for you and that final run and that time drop of yours was crazy!

I bought a new VW GTI couple months ago after it finally showed up, sold my white Celica GT sadly.

So I went to Nationals this year to try and challenge the 18 Focus ST drivers in GS and I was leading day one on the West course temporarily until final runs. I settled for 2nd place on day one of 28 racers in GS sitting only 0.110 seconds behind the reigning Focus ST champ.

Day two on east (fast) course I couldn't touch his times, on my final I finally dropped enough time to spring back into second, only I had knocked down the final cone of my event - as I entered the finish line, ugh... I watched my video was totally avoidable as there was room to the right. I settled for 5th trophy of 8 trophies in class. It's gonna be hard to forget what could've been that's for sure.

Good luck to all who like me are challenging THE car in GS!

621 - 631 of 631 Posts