NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! About 2 years ago, I purchased a 2001 Celica GT-S 6 Speed. I had A LOT of ups and downs with that car, and long story short, my final mods on that car was:

AEM CAI
Ported Headers
Brass Shifter Bushings
B&M Short Shifter
Custom Exhaust
Titanium Valve Springs + Retainers

and other misc things I wont get into details about. I spun a rod bearing (Rebuilt it) and spun another bearing about 1k miles later. So I sold it, and recently I purchased a 2000 Celica GTS for $1500. Here's the bad:

Engine bay is rusty, bolts have surface rust, and a lot of aluminum oxidization.
Paint is horrendous. Looks like someone tried to respray it and failed.
Lots of various dings and dents
Salvage title for front end damage (currently hasa LeBra on)
Random tranny grinds and crunches.
High Mileage (209,000)

Here's the good:
Kenwood headunit
Runs and drives great, besides the occasional tranny grind / crunch.
Tokico Shocks
Hits VVTL-i, and it feels AMAZING

So I've only had it for less than 24 hours, and I already
  • Did an oil change and flush with motor medic.
  • Changed tranny fluid for MT-90 + Penzoil (I only put 2 QT's in, my next question will answer what the rest of the tranny will be filled with)
  • Changed Spark Plugs for NGK Iridiums
After the tranny fluid change, it grinds and crunches a lot less (Does it in 3rd mainly, 4th occasionally) and was wondering what should I use for the remaining 0.3 - 0.5qt's of tranny fluid I need to put in. Has anyone had any luck "fixing" the grinding with a specific gear oil? I understand the transmission will need to be swapped, this is a bandaid for now. Raising the RPM's before shifting eliminates any grinds or crunches.

Also, side note, is there any tips to help prolong the longevity of a high mileage 2zz? I have doubts its the original engine, (The fuel injectors are yellow, which makes it seem like its a 2003+ engine, converted to work with a 2000).

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,310 Posts
The "cocktail" I think you're aiming for is 2qts Castrol Hypoy C 80w-90, 1qt Pennzoil Synchromesh, and 1qt Redline Lightweight Shockproof. I can't vouch for, endorse, or advise it will help, however.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Longevity, don't hit lift, keep ripums (RPM's) low.

If it were me, I'd get the tranny done first, then rebuild the motor. Preferrably at the same time.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Longevity, don't hit lift, keep ripums (RPM's) low.

If it were me, I'd get the tranny done first, then rebuild the motor. Preferrably at the same time.
Lift is so addicting, it's like boost. I've hit it a few times already, got it to rev limiter once or twice as well. Trans swap will be soon, and I might try to do a rod-bearing replacement with the engine in the car sometime.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,303 Posts
The cocktail only treats the symptoms. The only way to get rid of the grinding is by replacing the worn synchronizers inside the transmission. Not particularly easy if you don't know the innards of transmissions. The only other option is to always revmatch when downshifting into 4th and 3rd.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,303 Posts
As for the injectors, the original early GT-S ones were in fact yellow. The later ones were brown and even later dark gray so you have the correct injectors for your car. if you want to know if you have the original engine you have to check for the VIN plate on the back of the engine block, close to where it bolts to the transmission. Space is tight but you can get a phone down there and make a pic. The transmission also has a VIN tag somewhere on the back. If the tags don't match your car at least you'll be able to know which car they came from.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As for the injectors, the original early GT-S ones were in fact yellow. The later ones were brown and even later dark gray so you have the correct injectors for your car. if you want to know if you have the original engine you have to check for the VIN plate on the back of the engine block, close to where it bolts to the transmission. Space is tight but you can get a phone down there and make a pic. The transmission also has a VIN tag somewhere on the back. If the tags don't match your car at least you'll be able to know which car they came from.
Yea, I remember the OG injectors being yellow, gonna grab some Scion TC ones here soon. I also remember the VIN plate location, just need to look for it. As for the cocktail, I know it only treats symptoms, I've been revving to higher RPM's for 3rd and 4th. I rebuild the 2ZZ out my O.G celica GTS, but never rebuilt a tranny, so I might try that.
What cocktail do you recommend for the symptoms?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts